Review: Oritek X-1 cable
Oct 31, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #31 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
eyeteeth,

Just wanted to let you know I'm all up for trying a demo set of these cables once I fix my L3000s and have them burned in, by Dec. Kinda curious why more aren't giving these a shot... sure you're a one man army in this thread, but if something evokes this kinda passion in just one person methinks they are worth a listen.

I'm no expert, but I am listening to them now and they sound fantastic. I am very happy with them so far.

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #32 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Oh damn.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's the thing with being an early listener of something, no one else knows what you're talking about.
Yep the Blackwater touch is confirmed as gone.
frown.gif

I've followed Opeth since Blackwater Park, so it's been some years (and I've seen them twice, on the BP tour and the GR tour some months ago now) and although I dig their earlier work, it just can't compare to when Mr. Wilson took on the production reins.

If you're not familiar with Mr. Wilson's numerous bands, you should check out Porcupine Tree, which is my 2nd favourite band in the whole world (after Marillion).

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #33 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
eyeteeth,

Just wanted to let you know I'm all up for trying a demo set of these cables once I fix my L3000s and have them burned in, by Dec. Kinda curious why more aren't giving these a shot... sure you're a one man army in this thread, but if something evokes this kinda passion in just one person methinks they are worth a listen.

Yeah...
redface.gif
wink.gif

What can I say, some things impress but you know they're not suitable for others such as certain speakers or turntables so you say nothing. Other things are suitable for everyone but never impress much, like cables! So I thought I should sound crank the air raid siren on these interconnects.
smily_headphones1.gif

The beauty is their presence (or lack of obscuration) is still very evident. Often upgrades are exciting at first but fade with time, sometimes quickly.
These are always on. You could remove them when I'm out and I'd know it when I played music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori
Oritek Audio site and email are temporarily down this weekend (29-30/Oct), sorry about that...
Apparently some Verizon fiber link was damaged in Sothern California and they can't estimate when it will be fixed. Modern technology...

Oh.....hope you're not too offended by my trashing your web site?
smily_headphones1.gif

I gotta say what I gotta say.

You'd better notify the boys in blue here as to your commercial status.
I'll PM them for you...newbie.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
I'm no expert, but I am listening to them now and they sound fantastic. I am very happy with them so far.

Hey that's great Inter!
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
I've followed Opeth since Blackwater Park, so it's been some years (and I've seen them twice, on the BP tour and the GR tour some months ago now) and although I dig their earlier work, it just can't compare to when Mr. Wilson took on the production reins.

If you're not familiar with Mr. Wilson's numerous bands, you should check out Porcupine Tree, which is my 2nd favourite band in the whole world (after Marillion).

I am semi-familiar but really don't know them as well as I should. You followed my recommendation so I'll follow yours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #34 of 68
Quote:

I am semi-familiar but really don't know them as well as I should. You followed my recommendation so I'll follow yours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for derailing this thread with music recommendations, but it's all in the spirit of the X-1
smily_headphones1.gif

For Porcupine Tree, check out their newest, Deadwing. If you like that, you will like In Absentia and Stupid Dream. Then just take it from there, you have about 8 more albums to wade through (all of which rocks).

As for Marillion, check out Brave from '94 and their newest Marbles from last year. If you like that, you have 10 more albums to familarize yourself with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 11:26 AM Post #35 of 68
Audiogon head's up:

"I have a pair of 1 meter Oritek X1 and a pair of 1.5 Meter Oritek X1 available for purchase. Please email me with any questions you may have.

Selling the 1 meter pair for 100.00
Selling the 1.5 meter pair for 150.00"

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ntr&1135384576

I'm tempted myself but I'm saving for a phonostage upgrade. And also have on loan a bigger pair of ATCs that may be difficult to part with.
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #36 of 68
please post your referance systems your doing these tests on, i will have access to a linn, meridian, krell, martin logan, rotel and quad setup costing over 150,000 dollors this weekend and i plan to try out some cable swaps. i'm bringing my fluke 43b handheld powerline and harmonics analyzer and dual trace 100mhz oscilloscope along with a function generator. i realize i won't have time to test everything so i'll just be testing power cords and speaker cables. lets get some facts behind these outragous claims!

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #37 of 68
Hah hah hah. Looks like eyeteeth has been struck himself by a rude, annoying skeptic.
tongue.gif

Oh the delicious irony.
tongue.gif

I love the fact that a total newb, who is clearly a youngster with his first My Little Sound Card, thinks he's the world's biggest expert on everything audio.
orphsmile.gif

And then dares to sit in judgement of the rest of us.
tongue.gif

I haven't been following helix completely, but what I've seen of his postings so far indicates a person who would just not be happy here, let alone one who isn't aquainted with the rules of Head-Fi. How long before he's completely banned?

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #38 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Hah hah hah. Looks like eyeteeth has been struck himself by a rude, annoying skeptic.
tongue.gif

Oh the irony.
tongue.gif

In the midst of a thoughtful reply to helix, whom I welcome to this thread, I saw your post.

I am a "rude, annoying skeptic"?
And I just thanked that mod for deleting unhelpful posts in your power cord thread.

Oh well.

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #39 of 68
Oh, don't be so sensitive my friend.
tongue.gif

I'm just tweaking you in a playful manner, that's all.
biggrin.gif

If I was that sensitive, I'd have given up communicating with you a while ago, but I find you a fascinating person with a lot to say. I really do. Cheers.

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Oh, don't be so sensitive my friend.
tongue.gif

I'm just tweaking you in a playful manner, that's all.
biggrin.gif

If I was that sensitive, I'd have given up communicating with you a while ago, but I find you a fascinating person with a lot to say. I really do. Cheers.

Oh, OK, thanks
food-smiley-004.gif

Yeah, my honey here has commented that I seem a tad sharp since getting home.

Well I've completely lost my train of thought...so I'll take a break.
It's only the stinkin' internet.
tongue.gif

I'll finish my reply later helix
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the following written:
Quote:

Originally Posted by helix
please post your referance systems your doing these tests on, i will have access to a linn, meridian, krell, martin logan, rotel and quad setup costing over 150,000 dollors this weekend and i plan to try out some cable swaps. i'm bringing my fluke 43b handheld powerline and harmonics analyzer and dual trace 100mhz oscilloscope along with a function generator. i realize i won't have time to test everything so i'll just be testing power cords and speaker cables. lets get some facts behind these outragous claims!

Helix!
Welcome to my lair, I see you've entered of your own free will, good.
icon10.gif

I never thought of myself having a r-e-f-e-r-e-n-c-e system.

...to be continued

Nov 2, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #41 of 68
Great thread eyeteeth

I read the whole thing through in one sitting as well as your comments over on the grover thread.

Oritek X-1 sounds like one to watch. I really identify with your frustration with cable reviews and the old 'they compete with cables 5x their price' line.

It is really a wonderful thing when a product can sweep you off your feet with a 'hit you over the head' difference. This happened to me when I added vibrapods under my CDP. The difference was night & day; no need to meditate to find it.

I am relatively new to the audio game and when I discovered that cables could be an important component I was lost in the seemingly endless choices in the ~100 dollar range all 'competing with cables 5x their price'.

I settled on buying the Atlas Questors Single Crystal OFC's in my sig based off a UHFMag review. They were definitely an improvement over the stock cables but I wonder if there is any more to be gained. I am fairly confident my cables are better than many others but I have very few points of reference and I don't have the bucks to test out bunch as Markl did in his PC thread. I too am looking for that one magic product.

Anyways, great review and great thread. I will be keeping my eye on the Oritek X-1.

Nov 3, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #42 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
Great thread eyeteeth

I read the whole thing through in one sitting as well as your comments over on the grover thread.

cool.gif
Thanks omedon!
Prince George, BC, Canada. I'm in Toronto.

Quote:

Oritek X-1 sounds like one to watch. I really identify with your frustration with cable reviews and the old 'they compete with cables 5x their price' line.

It is really a wonderful thing when a product can sweep you off your feet with a 'hit you over the head' difference. This happened to me when I added vibrapods under my CDP. The difference was night & day; no need to meditate to find it.

Yes. I had actually become resigned to a semi wire is wire attitude through a bunch of underwhelming purchases.

Quote:

I am relatively new to the audio game and when I discovered that cables could be an important component I was lost in the seemingly endless choices in the ~100 dollar range all 'competing with cables 5x their price'.

I settled on buying the Atlas Questors Single Crystal OFC's in my sig based off a UHFMag review. They were definitely an improvement over the stock cables but I wonder if there is any more to be gained. I am fairly confident my cables are better than many others but I have very few points of reference and I don't have the bucks to test out bunch as Markl did in his PC thread. I too am looking for that one magic product.

Anyways, great review and great thread. I will be keeping my eye on the Oritek X-1.

The X-1 is special. But rather than it closing my mind to other cables, it's opened it up. I've not heard of the Atlas cables. A 7.3 Mb PDF of issue #71 can be downloaded that has blind reviews of the Atlas cables on page 32.
cool.gif

I'd like to try more cables, with the X-1 as my reference. It's seems the cable to beat under $1000. I like reading cable reviews with an eye for descriptions that avoid jargon and cliche' and cite specific recordings. This stereo shop is a 15 minute walk from me, has Chord electronics and cables; they let me borrow stuff to take home and I was going to ask for their $1000 Chord Signature. I was re-reading a rave about it in HIFI+ magazine, the differences between it and everyone's favourite reference the Valhalla. And I've submited a pretty please to Ori to audition his $750 X-2 cable.
icon10.gif

Now if I can only get my hands on a Valhalla, I'd feel more confident in having a better reality check and overview of the limits. How close does the Chord get to the Valhalla? How close does the X-2 get? Or does it surpass? How would I know if surpass(-ation?
tongue.gif
) has occured? How close is the X-1? Without prejudging, I'd guess the Chord to be of the Grover school, defining for the cause of coherence and the Oritek of the Valhalla school with an ambition for transparency.

I dislike hyperbole and squirm a little as I think of my descriptions. So once again I try to distill down my take on the X-1. What does it do? It does expansiveness of soundstage, separation of images and elements beyond what I've heard before. It does openess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yesterday: Quote:

Well I've completely lost my train of thought...

train_crash.jpg

Today:

_38075802_bullet.jpg

or?

27general.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by helix

Who's claim is more outrageous, yours or mine?
wink.gif

Those fellas don't make gear that would add up to $150,000. A full Krell outfit would help get you there with things like the $37,000 LAT-1 speakers. I'm not sure what overpriced gear will demonstrate. You're measuring electronics, speakers or cables?
confused.gif

Honestly, I'd like a little gizmo to measure cables. The real puzzle will be what to do with the findings! Well I've got some ideas and have begun my studies into the subject.

lie-detector-parts.jpg

I'm just a beginner on this though. I'd hate to mess up the wires of the ole cabbage.
eek.gif

brainmap.jpg

I may need an assistant.
Do you have medical insurance helix?
600smile.gif

My reference system is down to earth.
(Saying "reference system" makes me feel so pretentious!), (and I've mentioned my gear a few times in the past while, the name dropping routine is really boring me now!).

My PREFERENCE system.
Like everyone I auditioned lots of gear, and had to keep an eye on my wallet. I came to recognize that I had a preference for low colouration, low distortion and an honest, just-the-facts presentation. I also found I liked some offerings from the professional audio world as they seemed to deliver the goods without a big audiophile mark-up in price. All moneys into performance not appearance. They didn't stray into error with artistic musical interpretations.
I use a Benchmark DAC1 or Nottingham Horizon turntable (I'm saving for a Space Deck.
I wish Larry would get off my ass already!
wink.gif
) with ATC speakers and amp.
Specifically SMC20-2 monitors (on loan replacing SCM12),
(TAS' Neil Gader has recently replaced his SCM20 with 20-2 also. They're great!) and SIA-150 amp. http://www.atc.gb.net/reviews/SCM20REVIEW8.pdf
http://www.atc.gb.net/reviews/SCM20REVIEW9.pdf

I really like Larry Cox reviews as he doen't do hyperbole and also doesn't care for some equipment.
I thought his review of the SIA-150 was spot on. yes it was his X-1 review that had me take a chance and bang on the money again.

The odd part is that this company has a philosophy and house sound through out the line. It'll be the gear used by any number of studios for recording/mastering music from the Pink Floyd clan to Bob Ludwig's Gateway Studios, BBC, Doug Sax, Sony Music Studios, Warner Bros, etc. I didn't get it for those reasons (I liked the musical presentation) but it does give a sense of how your CD should sound. They also come in handy for annoying fellow members when debating the relative merits of a remaster.
wink.gif

Hearing what they were hearing is good enough for me.
Why spend more?
Maybe that's not good enough for you helix?
You're welcome to browse through the ATC white papers looking for voodoo science if you like.

eyeteeth delivering the goods!
tongue.gif

Keaton114.jpg

Nov 3, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #43 of 68
That post was great... good for a laugh, but much of it very true. You been hanging out with Rick?

Still waiting for that audiogon guy to respond to my email about the 1m cables.
frown.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #44 of 68
philodox, the gent on Audiogon has a possible local buyer, I have also emailed him, but I got an eventual reply. I'm in line if there are any left
tongue.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #45 of 68
Booo
frown.gif

I probably have enough cables anyways.
tongue.gif

I've been giveing my XRS cables another try and am liking them quite a bit.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back