Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
May 15, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #46 of 1,164
I've upgraded from the OnePlus One, I would say the its slightly better in all respects but on the audio side of things the 10 is big upgrade.

I do have the Audio Technica Msr7 so I can test them with the HTC 10. I would say that will be a great pairing, the Msr7's get the best out of everything I've plugged them in to.

I can't test the combo until Monday as they are my office headphone, but I can say now they definitely won't require an amp as the Msr7 is a very easy headphone to drive.

I just purchased the HTC 10, will test it with K3003 and SE846 IEMs and Momentum Wireless over ear headphones taking advantage of both devices being Aptx!

Edit: add to that Mojo and HiFiMan Edition X...

May 15, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #47 of 1,164
I've upgraded from the OnePlus One, I would say the its slightly better in all respects but on the audio side of things the 10 is big upgrade.

I do have the Audio Technica Msr7 so I can test them with the HTC 10. I would say that will be a great pairing, the Msr7's get the best out of everything I've plugged them in to.

I can't test the combo until Monday as they are my office headphone, but I can say now they definitely won't require an amp as the Msr7 is a very easy headphone to drive.

. Please let me know how they pair and if you can use eq on the bass can you please let me know how much you can add. I love how the Msr7 sound from my M7 when I tested them but if the 10 is a big upgrade im going for it :) but I would like a tad bit more bass so if it handles eq well all my problems will be solved with the Htc 10 & Msr7 :). And if anyone has the Pinnacle P1 or Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over ear can you please do a test with them aswell.

May 15, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #48 of 1,164
Agreed I got it yesterday and have spent all morning listening to albums in Tidal (HiFi) and have reached the conclusion its a good quality audio player with a phone built in.

Do you have any idea of battery life when using only Tidal via WiFi (mobile data off) ?

May 15, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #49 of 1,164

Guys do you know if this phone supports AIFF audio format?

It seems it doesn't, I just copied my entire HD music library on a micro SD card and plugged it into the HTC 10. The files show up in the Storage, but not in the player...

May 15, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #50 of 1,164
Do you have any idea of battery life when using only Tidal via WiFi (mobile data off) ?

I wouldn't worry about battery life on the 10. It last much better than my Note 4, and it charges up so fast

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdragon/2015/09/14/introducing-quick-charge-30-next-generation-fast-charging-technology

May 15, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #51 of 1,164
First impressions: YES, is that good!

I have to go to sleep now, I have an early flight tomorrow morning, but wow guys, this phone sounds so good I'm now willing to A/B test it with or without Mojo...

After a few hours only, I am already impressed, this is exactly was I was hoping to find after reading this review and following comments!

May 16, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #52 of 1,164
. Please let me know how they pair and if you can use eq on the bass can you please let me know how much you can add. I love how the Msr7 sound from my M7 when I tested them but if the 10 is a big upgrade im going for it
smily_headphones1.gif
but I would like a tad bit more bass so if it handles eq well all my problems will be solved with the Htc 10 & Msr7
smily_headphones1.gif
. And if anyone has the Pinnacle P1 or Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over ear can you please do a test with them aswell.

Poweramp has a "Bass extreme" preset, I tried that and it sounds good with the MSR 7. I'm not a bass head but the phone and headphones handle it fine without any obvious distortion.

For normal listening, just over half volume for me is a good listening level with the MSR7's when playing a typical compressed recently released album. I've done the HTC advanced headphone correction and the HTC 10 make the MSR7's sound as good as I've ever heard them, with great treble extension and a nice balanced sound.

I think the MSR7's were made for this kind of combo for portable music and they don't disappoint.

If you want me to try a particular track please let me know.

May 16, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #53 of 1,164
I wouldn't worry about battery life on the 10. It last much better than my Note 4, and it charges up so fast

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdragon/2015/09/14/introducing-quick-charge-30-next-generation-fast-charging-technology

I wouldn't either, seven hours of music playback with light screen use uses around 40% of the battery in my experience. I think 18-20 hours of FLAC playback should be achievable when using typical IEM's.

May 16, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #54 of 1,164
I wouldn't either, seven hours of music playback with light screen use uses around 40% of the battery in my experience. I think 18-20 hours of FLAC playback should be achievable when using typical IEM's.

I would assume streaming Tidal would noticeably cut down on that play time,

May 16, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #55 of 1,164
Poweramp has a "Bass extreme" preset, I tried that and it sounds good with the MSR 7. I'm not a bass head but the phone and headphones handle it fine without any obvious distortion.

For normal listening, just over half volume for me is a good listening level with the MSR7's when playing a typical compressed recently released album. I've done the HTC advanced headphone correction and the HTC 10 make the MSR7's sound as good as I've ever heard them, with great treble extension and a nice balanced sound.

I think the MSR7's were made for this kind of combo for portable music and they don't disappoint.

If you want me to try a particular track please let me know.
yes please, could you try The Prodigy Breathe, The Prodigy Smack my b*tch up, Nas Hero, Eye D & Dj Hidden Break you. And Plastic Angel Call the galaxy taxi Martins roth nu style mix. :)

May 16, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #56 of 1,164
I would assume streaming Tidal would noticeably cut down on that play time,

Probably, at the moment I'm mainly listening to off-line Tidal stuff that I've previously downloaded during the day, as the Wifi at my desk can be a bit hit and miss. I basically choose an album or play-list I want to listen to, download it and then listen. Wifi is on all the time though, just not streaming continuously. 

May 17, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #59 of 1,164
  First impressions: YES, is that good!

I have to go to sleep now, I have an early flight tomorrow morning, but wow guys, this phone sounds so good I'm now willing to A/B test it with or without Mojo...

After a few hours only, I am already impressed, this is exactly was I was hoping to find after reading this review and following comments!

im looking forward for your expanded testing. ill be checking regularly for it.

May 18, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #60 of 1,164
yes please, could you try The Prodigy Breathe, The Prodigy Smack my b*tch up, Nas Hero, Eye D & Dj Hidden Break you. And Plastic Angel Call the galaxy taxi Martins roth nu style mix.
smily_headphones1.gif

I did put together a post describing my initial reactions to listening to these tracks but for various reasons I was unable to submit it.

Anyway here is a summary.

Prodigy tracks are awesome! Rekindled my appreciation of The Prodigy.

Hero - Nas, Keri Hilson not really my "cup of tea" sounded a bit flat to me, perhaps its the track, Also I've never listened to it on other headphones, or ever in fact.

Plastic Angel - Call the Galaxy... very dynamic, punchy bass great mids and highs.

My conclusion. The Audio Technica's make a great pairing with the HTC10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back