Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
Oct 26, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #1,156 of 1,164
Yeah I

Yeah, I heard some say that too, that between the V20 and HTC 10 it was a tie, that they had a maybe a different type of sound but neither was night and day better than the other. For sure the V30 is night and day for me (and others I'm sure). In fact, I would say out of all the phones I've ever heard its one of the biggest leaps in sound quality, and I've owned a few music focused smartphones... Including the Motorola C168, Sony W610i, Sony Zylo, Sony Xperia Pro, HTC M8 and HTC 10. I feel a little sorry for HTC, they picked up the music-focused phone from Sony when they dropped the baton. But for whatever reason HTC hasn't been able to stay relevant in the smartphone business and now they've had some of their best workers picked off by Google. I think competition in this area is good. Samsung audio isn't bad but nothing amazing when I've tried it. I haven't heard audio from an apple device so I can't comment on that. I really do hope the next time I buy a phone 2 years later that there is a company still pushing music quality and that all phone and that we still have a 3.5mm jack as I read the other day Samsung galaxy might lose the 3.5mm jack

Nice!

Yeah HTC has had a very difficult time keeping up. But like Sony, neither markets/advertises their phones in the U.S., which is just stupid. At least HTC was and still to some degree is selling through carriers. That's HUGE in the U.S. as you probably know. Sony cut all ties with carriers in 2015, and from the chart I saw recently, that was when their sales started to plummet here. Coincidence?! I think NOT! lol

Samsung's Snapdragon-based U.S. phones don't have great audio. ESP compared to the likes of HTC and of course LG. That's b/c these ones use Snapdragon's integrated SoC DAC & amp, where the int'l Exynos-based Samsungs (at least the Note series, but maybe S series too?) get their own separate/DEDICATED high-quality Cirrus Logic DAC (used to be Wolfson, until Cirrus Logic bought them out I believe) and better amps too I believe. They say they still don't sound as good as the LG Quad DAC, but then again, what does? LOL But they say it's def pretty close, which is impressive. Unfortunately, I don't think those int'l ones have the same radio bands the U.S. versions do, so no can do.

I think the Apple devices have better audio than most. Their amps seem to be rated as pretty strong vs. most others, so that's another + too as volume is important, esp on some harder to drive headphones.

Yeah the headphone jack unfortunately seems to be on the way out, and yes I believe the Note 10 will be the first one to lose it, if not the S10 first. For the most part though, that's bothering me less and less as I've recently been checking out "semi-wireless" amp/DAC or DAP devices. You connect to them from your phone via BT (LDAC (("Optimized for Audio Quality" mode)) is preferred as it's the best, though the higher-end ones like iFi's devices still sound better with just AAC or even aptX), and then the device itself connects via cable to your headphones. I've been told and can confirm that these sound AS GOOD as a wired setup, at least the $100+ ones. No joke! I just tried the Shanling M0 (DAP) and it was very impressive, esp for the price ($108). Highly recommended if you don't wanna spend too much, like touchscreens, and LOVE portability (it's tiny as F! lol). It just wasn't loud enough for my 250-ohm Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro headphones though, but I think for any headphones under like 150 ohms, it would be more than enough. It features the same model Sabre DAC as the LG V30 as well! It was only on my QUIETEST albums that it wasn't "quite" loud enough. The rest sounded fine. I really liked the freedom that came from not having a cable dangling from my phone that adds to the phone's weight and minimizes convenience while holding up the phone as well. So now I'm looking at either the iFi xDSD or else the new (and slightly cheaper) xCAN which just got released yesterday. Decisions decisions! lol

So really, by having that setup, I don't have to worry about (and be limited by) finding only phones that have great sound tech in them + the convenience of a "semi-wireless" setup. For now though, I will be keeping my LG V30. Just tried out the Xperia XZ3 and loved it but returned it cuz the camera was actually a step-down from the XZ2 Premium's, and also no Band 71 on there which T-Mobile is about to deploy in my area (Chicago) by year's end. So I may be open to the OnePlus 6T, or else next year either the XZ3 Premium or MAYBE the S10+ or Note 10. We'll see.

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,157 of 1,164
Nice!

Yeah HTC has had a very difficult time keeping up. But like Sony, neither markets/advertises their phones in the U.S., which is just stupid. At least HTC was and still to some degree is selling through carriers. That's HUGE in the U.S. as you probably know. Sony cut all ties with carriers in 2015, and from the chart I saw recently, that was when their sales started to plummet here. Coincidence?! I think NOT! lol

Samsung's Snapdragon-based U.S. phones don't have great audio. ESP compared to the likes of HTC and of course LG. That's b/c these ones use Snapdragon's integrated SoC DAC & amp, where the int'l Exynos-based Samsungs (at least the Note series, but maybe S series too?) get their own separate/DEDICATED high-quality Cirrus Logic DAC (used to be Wolfson, until Cirrus Logic bought them out I believe) and better amps too I believe. They say they still don't sound as good as the LG Quad DAC, but then again, what does? LOL But they say it's def pretty close, which is impressive. Unfortunately, I don't think those int'l ones have the same radio bands the U.S. versions do, so no can do.

I think the Apple devices have better audio than most. Their amps seem to be rated as pretty strong vs. most others, so that's another + too as volume is important, esp on some harder to drive headphones.

Yeah the headphone jack unfortunately seems to be on the way out, and yes I believe the Note 10 will be the first one to lose it, if not the S10 first. For the most part though, that's bothering me less and less as I've recently been checking out "semi-wireless" amp/DAC or DAP devices. You connect to them from your phone via BT (LDAC (("Optimized for Audio Quality" mode)) is preferred as it's the best, though the higher-end ones like iFi's devices still sound better with just AAC or even aptX), and then the device itself connects via cable to your headphones. I've been told and can confirm that these sound AS GOOD as a wired setup, at least the $100+ ones. No joke! I just tried the Shanling M0 (DAP) and it was very impressive, esp for the price ($108). Highly recommended if you don't wanna spend too much, like touchscreens, and LOVE portability (it's tiny as F! lol). It just wasn't loud enough for my 250-ohm Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro headphones though, but I think for any headphones under like 150 ohms, it would be more than enough. It features the same model Sabre DAC as the LG V30 as well! It was only on my QUIETEST albums that it wasn't "quite" loud enough. The rest sounded fine. I really liked the freedom that came from not having a cable dangling from my phone that adds to the phone's weight and minimizes convenience while holding up the phone as well. So now I'm looking at either the iFi xDSD or else the new (and slightly cheaper) xCAN which just got released yesterday. Decisions decisions! lol

So really, by having that setup, I don't have to worry about (and be limited by) finding only phones that have great sound tech in them + the convenience of a "semi-wireless" setup. For now though, I will be keeping my LG V30. Just tried out the Xperia XZ3 and loved it but returned it cuz the camera was actually a step-down from the XZ2 Premium's, and also no Band 71 on there which T-Mobile is about to deploy in my area (Chicago) by year's end. So I may be open to the OnePlus 6T, or else next year either the XZ3 Premium or MAYBE the S10+ or Note 10. We'll see.

I do see the positive of what you are saying about the semi-wireless in that you can change phones without worrying about loss of sound quality but I don't think I'm ready for that stuff yet lol. BT is another battery drainer - something else to give me battery drainage anxiety lol

A simple solution instead of trying to shrink mobiles down to credit card levels just bulk them up give us the features and battery life we crave and call those phone the plus + versions. The plus+ version phones we have today don't seem much better than the regular versions and yet companies expect us to pay $200-400 more.

I waiting for a company to catch on to this and just go "to hell with it" and just make a fatter phone with A+ sound/Camera/ battery the only thing standing between that is this corporate obsession with assuming that the regular people want slim credit card style phones. I don't actually, id be quite happy to have a few extra millimetres in depth of phone if that's going to give me the super phone I want. Samsung went so far with the feature packing into a slim hpone that their Note 7s started catching fire, unnecessary, just make it thicker lol Then there would be no need to worry about losing useful things like the jack.

But with that being said, that's the first thing I've heard about semi-wireless and I thank you for bringing that to my attention! Despite my words, I have a bad feeling I will be reluctantly researching semi-wireless devices in the next 2-3 years. So sad but inevitable as you said. I hope LG stands tall and stands strong and resists! The sound is so great on the V30, it makes me want to listen to music more often, im hearing things with my regualr music collection that i never heard before in terms of lyrics and instruments and its not overly clinical its really engaging, well done LG!

I've heard Apple have some good stuff in their phones but they haven't always excelled in some online tests (and personal tastes). Yeah thanks for explaining the Samsung thing, some Samsung phones have been decent, my wife has the Note 5 and that has quite a good sound to be honest. But some other Samsung phones I've tried have failed to impress me.

By the way what exactly did you like about the Xperia XZ3? - I was a Sony man before I felt they dropped the ball audio wise and started concentrating more on cameras. I had an Xperia Pro it was a beautiful full keyboard phone but it was woefully underpowered 2.3.4 gingerbread phone. It never had enough memory and so was bone-crushingly slow. It burnt me and when i saw Sony had ended the Walkman line of phones I realised sony weren't serious about music quality as much as they used to be. I feel Sony have missed a trick as everyone knows sony for their "Walkman" products

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #1,158 of 1,164
I do see the positive of what you are saying about the semi-wireless in that you can change phones without worrying about loss of sound quality but I don't think I'm ready for that stuff yet lol. BT is another battery drainer - something else to give me battery drainage anxiety lol

A simple solution instead of trying to shrink mobiles down to credit card levels just bulk them up give us the features and battery life we crave and call those phone the plus + versions. The plus+ version phones we have today don't seem much better than the regular versions and yet companies expect us to pay $200-400 more.

I waiting for a company to catch on to this and just go "to hell with it" and just make a fatter phone with A+ sound/Camera/ battery the only thing standing between that is this corporate obsession with assuming that the regular people want slim credit card style phones. I don't actually, id be quite happy to have a few extra millimetres in depth of phone if that's going to give me the super phone I want. Samsung went so far with the feature packing into a slim hpone that their Note 7s started catching fire, unnecessary, just make it thicker lol Then there would be no need to worry about losing useful things like the jack.

But with that being said, that's the first thing I've heard about semi-wireless and I thank you for bringing that to my attention! Despite my words, I have a bad feeling I will be reluctantly researching semi-wireless devices in the next 2-3 years. So sad but inevitable as you said. I hope LG stands tall and stands strong and resists! The sound is so great on the V30, it makes me want to listen to music more often, im hearing things with my regualr music collection that i never heard before in terms of lyrics and instruments and its not overly clinical its really engaging, well done LG!

I've heard Apple have some good stuff in their phones but they haven't always excelled in some online tests (and personal tastes). Yeah thanks for explaining the Samsung thing, some Samsung phones have been decent, my wife has the Note 5 and that has quite a good sound to be honest. But some other Samsung phones I've tried have failed to impress me.

By the way what exactly did you like about the Xperia XZ3? - I was a Sony man before I felt they dropped the ball audio wise and started concentrating more on cameras. I had an Xperia Pro it was a beautiful full keyboard phone but it was woefully underpowered 2.3.4 gingerbread phone. It never had enough memory and so was bone-crushingly slow. It burnt me and when i saw Sony had ended the Walkman line of phones I realised sony weren't serious about music quality as much as they used to be. I feel Sony have missed a trick as everyone knows sony for their "Walkman" products

Yeah but using the Quad DAC on the LG phones, esp in High Impedance Mode, I'm sure drains about as much if not more power too. lol The setup for the M0, xDSD, etc., is actually pretty easy. The first time will take the longest, but after that the phone remembers the device, and you're all good.

I agree. Just b/c the processors are getting more & more battery efficient doesn't mean they should keep lowering the battery, esp if the previous model had better life than the current, which happens all the time.

Yes, you probably will. LOL I'm not happy about it either, but I actually see more pros to it than cons. The obvious con is having to carry around an extra device, but devices like the xDSD, xCAN, and ESP M0 are pretty small and lightweight anyway. As are the fully-wired only ones like the Sabaj Da2 or Da3, DragonFly Red, and the Topping NX4 (which is the one I'D buy if I was to go fully wired cuz it has the newest Sabre DAC in it, the 9038). The Topping one has its own battery which I prefer so you don't have to even worry about using your phone's battery. The Oppo HA-2SE (I used to own the HA-2) is like the Topping though even nicer looking but has the 9028 Sabre, though it MAY still sound better b/c of course the DAC's implementation is as important as the DAC itself. Not sure. Other good semi-wireless alternatives to the M0 (which are even cheaper) are the EarStudio ES100 and FiiO BTR3.

Yeah the LG V30 is amazing! I love mine. Some ppl are saying the V40 doesn't sound as good which surprising, but that's still being looked at. They say the music app you use makes a difference too on it. I think stock app sounds better than others? Still waiting to hear updates on all that. Plus they switched from having B&O do the tuning (non-U.S. V-series only) to Meridian.

Sure no problem on Samsung. Apple's phones have pretty solid sound tech on them, though I don't think better than the LG phones. I know a few years ago I got my friend the DragonFly Black and he compared it to his iPhone with & without it and he said he could an improvement with it. And that's only a $99 amp/DAC device vs. several ppl on here saying the LG V30 sounds as good if not BETTER than the $600 Chord Mojo! lol Not sure if the iPhones have gotten any better or not on that front, but their amps are pretty strong at least. Above average I'd say, though still not as loud as the LG phones in Aux or def High Impedance Mode (HIM). It really pisses me off with Apple and Samsung that they charge SO much for their phones but don't seem to think the audio should be up to par, prob b/c unfortunately most ppl don't care all that much about that stuff, which sux, but what can you do?

The one thing I love with Apple is the iTunes Store. I used to pay on average like $15-$20 for my Hi-Res albums. But they sell Hi-Res albums too, usually for half that! I spoke with a supervisor for iTunes Store, and he explained it all to me, plus I did my own reading. This thread I started says it all (optional skim). The albums that are derived from 24-bit sources (aka Hi-Res), and in turn are the ones that also get the BEST sounding masters..............are the ones labeled "Mastered for iTunes". So I always try to go for those albums if available. I thought the rest were just mp3s, but actually they're derived from CDs not mp3s and are converted into the AAC format which is what I downsample everything I buy to and it's (AAC) superior to mp3 and IMO NO DIFFERENT than FLAC as well. Blind test results I've seen and also have done on myself (i.e. ABX) further prove this. So since realizing this a year or so ago I've saved SO much money vs. buying from the Hi-Res stores online like HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds, 7digital, etc.. lol Plus their library is HUGE!

See this post I just put up in another one of my threads to answer your XZ3 question, and prob other Sony questions too. lol

Yeah Sony is great but they keep f'ing up in different ways, but then do amazing things at the same time. Like being the first to offer a 4K HDR phone, but then not marketing it or selling it through carriers in the U.S. AT ALL! Most ppl here don't even know that Sony sells phones, which is sad. The Xperia Pro looks pretty cool. Yeah when it comes to audio, Sony has been kind of weird. They use integrated DACs & amps instead of dedicated which to me is horses*it and they should know better. IMO, they purposely do that b/c they want people to buy their Walkmans (and also that they're perhaps being cheap too lol). The problem is, BOTH Xperias and ALL Walkmans (yes, even the $1200 ones lol) have very weak amps. Also, the other big problem is that Sony is supposed to be known for great sound, so they should be as highly regarded there as LG is, if not more, but they're not. What I BELIEVE they should do is just eliminate the lower end Walkmans since most ppl just wanna play off their phone anyway, and just keep the higher end ones for the audiophile crowd to enjoy. At the same time, give your Xperia phones (at least the flagships!) the dedicated DACs and amps and all the other sound tech goodies so the masses can enjoy them!! But they won't, cuz they are dumb. lol But this new CEO they got gives me hope as he claims he is trying to make Sony more competitive again. They made some BIG improvements to the Xperia mid-rangers and flagships this year, but they still have a ways to go. So YEAH, there's hope, but they need to be more aggressive than they have been, esp with the S10 looming lol..............................

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #1,159 of 1,164
I have only had my HTC 10 for four months and now it won’t charge or switch on. The issue started when I plugged the charger into my HTC 10 and it told me fast charge isn’t working and it only charged my HTC 10 on slow charge.

Anyway, I disconnected the charger when it got to 20% charge but when I switched it on the charge was actually only 1%. I tried rebooting the phone but the red light only comes on for a second and randomly flashes then nothing happens. It doesn’t switch on. When I connect the charger the same thing happens. It doesn’t switch on. When I press the power button I get a battery icon appearing with 0% next to it then it goes off and doesn’t switch on.

I have left the charger in my HTC 10 for a couple of hours now but still it won’t switch on. I am afraid my HTC 10 has died and I am really upset because it was such a great sounding smartphone. Any ideas of what could be the issue. Could it be a dodgy connection or battery?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #1,160 of 1,164
Sounds like a dead battery. Would be fixed under warranty. Replacing the HTC 10 battery is not an easy task and should be done by a professional. I have actually never heard of anyone replacing their battery by themselves. Repairabilty in general is considered bad with the HTC 10. The battery sits underneath everything else - the phone has to be taken apart completely to reach the battery and I heard the display easily gets damaged trying to open the phone.
I have 2 HTC 10s. If I had known about repairability issues I would not have bought them even though they sound great.

Jan 2, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #1,161 of 1,164
Sounds like a dead battery. Would be fixed under warranty. Replacing the HTC 10 battery is not an easy task and should be done by a professional. I have actually never heard of anyone replacing their battery by themselves. Repairabilty in general is considered bad with the HTC 10. The battery sits underneath everything else - the phone has to be taken apart completely to reach the battery and I heard the display easily gets damaged trying to open the phone.
I have 2 HTC 10s. If I had known about repairability issues I would not have bought them even though they sound great.

I forgot to mention that I lost my HTC 10 charger and was using my MacBook’s USB-C 29w charger to charge my HTC 10. Would this of affected the battery in the HTC 10?

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,163 of 1,164
is it still a good buy as dap?

UPDATE: IGNORE PREVIOUS POST.

To answer your question, I would say yes. I thought my (now old) HTC 10 was a fantastic player! And if you're just gonna use it as a DAP, then yeah, for sure. Most DAPs don't use the newest processors b/c they focus on sound quality, so my answer is yes.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #1,164 of 1,164
Since sending back my defective HTC 10 and getting a refund a few months ago, I bought another HTC 10 recently. I had to buy it because in my opinion it’s the best sounding audiophile smartphone alongside the LG V30.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back