Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier
Jan 14, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #632 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any hiss with Denon D2000 and D5000? Even if not, its probably not a good match for low impedance headphones?

The Denons have 25 Ohm impedance and need at least 250mV of output power.

It drives my D5000's fine. I have no hiss. Even my HD650's do well with it. The problem with the 650's is that you are turned past 12:00 at times and I have had it turned almost all the way to the end of the pot with some low leveled recordings. But even then, there was no hiss or distortion, so there was no trade off to racking the vol pot. It was LOUD and still clean for me.

I will say at the end of the day though, that I wanted more power from it. It is disconcerting to have to turn the Pot past 12:00 a lot. I do have some Grado GS1000's coming in a week, they may be interesting with it.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #634 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if anyone has tried this amplifier with the Beyerdynamic DT880s? Would this combination be good?

Works well with 770-80's, if that helps. I've listened with it to a lot of Closed cans and two sets of opens. Nice amp.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #635 of 740
I don't think the MKV lacks power, just has a low gain setting which could do with being a bit higher.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #638 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the DT 770/Pro 80s, I notice slight hiss from the second input in addition to a slight hum from the left channel. Input 1 is clear.

How high is the volume where you hear the hiss start?

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #639 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How high is the volume where you hear the hiss start?

Maximum. It's very slight.

Could be power issues. I want to replace the power strip all my equipment is plugged into and see what that does. The power cord for the MKV is one of those heavy gauge, filtered cords.

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #640 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maximum. It's very slight.

Could be power issues. I want to replace the power strip all my equipment is plugged into and see what that does. The power cord for the MKV is one of those heavy gauge, filtered cords.

Seems a non issue to me.

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #641 of 740
Computer-->Zero DAC-->LD MKV-->K701 sounds amazing! I was always skeptical about burn in, but the Zero and the K701 sounded much better after quite a few hours on them
smily_headphones1.gif
I am going to test the LD/K701 against my Azur 840c when I stop being lazy... The DAC section on the 840c was heads and shoulders above the Lavry DA10 I had, so I'm going to A/B against the Zero with the headphone rig to get a better idea of how the DAC stacks up.

The headphone output on the zero dac sounds about like my presonus firebox, pretty good but definitely nothing special. The MKV blows both of them out of the water. The bass just sounds so much more realistic and authoritative. I thought the K701's didn't have bass until I experienced the MKV. Trust me when I say that it does not lose detail to bloat either! The rest of the frequency range is excellent as well.

Oh, btw I had horrible ground loop issue when using a presonus firebox as the computer source for the MKV. I also had the same issue with my squeeze box analog outs to the MKV. The zero dac completely removed the ground loop issue. I would say the ground loop issue in my case was definitely the fault of the MKV. If I hook up the squeezebox or the firebox up to anything else they have no associated buzz or hiss. The ground loop was upsetting to me, but now that I have a decent DAC it is the darkest amp I own! (BTW, I'm not proposing that the ground loop could not have been traced back to anything else... I have never experienced this issue outside of a car and didn't feel like I should have to play power quality engineer. I had my eye on buying a DAC for the computer rig and didn't want to waste time troubleshooting.. Just providing my first hand experience)

So long as you have a dedicated DAC or quality source, I can definitely recommend the MKV with the highest praises.

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #642 of 740
So I just hooked up the Zero-->MKV-->Ety ER4-P's(with S adapter)..... I have never heard such wonderful bass and detail from headphones in my life. This is an amazing combination on good recordings! I'd imagine with time that the detail on poor recordings could become fatiguing. I typically use the ER4-P's at work with the total bithead.... There is no competition!

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #643 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by jf4828 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Computer-->Zero DAC-->LD MKV-->K701 sounds amazing! I was always skeptical about burn in, but the Zero and the K701 sounded much better after quite a few hours on them
smily_headphones1.gif
I am going to test the LD/K701 against my Azur 840c when I stop being lazy... The DAC section on the 840c was heads and shoulders above the Lavry DA10 I had, so I'm going to A/B against the Zero with the headphone rig to get a better idea of how the DAC stacks up.

The headphone output on the zero dac sounds about like my presonus firebox, pretty good but definitely nothing special. The MKV blows both of them out of the water. The bass just sounds so much more realistic and authoritative. I thought the K701's didn't have bass until I experienced the MKV. Trust me when I say that it does not lose detail to bloat either! The rest of the frequency range is excellent as well.

Oh, btw I had horrible ground loop issue when using a presonus firebox as the computer source for the MKV. I also had the same issue with my squeeze box analog outs to the MKV. The zero dac completely removed the ground loop issue. I would say the ground loop issue in my case was definitely the fault of the MKV. If I hook up the squeezebox or the firebox up to anything else they have no associated buzz or hiss. The ground loop was upsetting to me, but now that I have a decent DAC it is the darkest amp I own! (BTW, I'm not proposing that the ground loop could not have been traced back to anything else... I have never experienced this issue outside of a car and didn't feel like I should have to play power quality engineer. I had my eye on buying a DAC for the computer rig and didn't want to waste time troubleshooting.. Just providing my first hand experience)

So long as you have a dedicated DAC or quality source, I can definitely recommend the MKV with the highest praises.

It is a sweet little amp and built like a tank!

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #644 of 740
Yeah, build quality is on par or better than my much more expensive gear. I really like the look and feel of it. The volume pot and buttons are very solid and well laid out. The Zero DAC sitting under it looks pitiful in comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #645 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by jf4828 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, build quality is on par or better than my much more expensive gear. I really like the look and feel of it. The volume pot and buttons are very solid and well laid out. The Zero DAC sitting under it looks pitiful in comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got a Zero too, no comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back