Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier
Feb 28, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #646 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a sweet little amp and built like a tank!

Gotta agree. It took me awhile to come around to it but I've finally boxed up my Sony D711 and made the MKV my permanent amp. With the right headphones it really does well.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #647 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta agree. It took me awhile to come around to it but I've finally boxed up my Sony D711 and made the MKV my permanent amp. With the right headphones it really does well.

If you play your Grados as loud as you can stand, where is the dial pointed?

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #648 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you play your Grados as loud as you can stand, where is the dial pointed?

I don't use Grados with the MKV. It just doesn't sound right. I use the 770s. Fuller sound, more bass. From what I've read on this forum, the Grados are probably better suited for tube amps.

As far as volume goes, it depends on the source. The volume postition could be at 10 or 11 o'clock for some sources to as far as 2:30 or 3 o'clock for others. Depends on the mastering I guess, with the older CD masters requiring higher volume settings.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #649 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't use Grados with the MKV. It just doesn't sound right. I use the 770s. Fuller sound, more bass. From what I've read on this forum, the Grados are probably better suited for tube amps.

As far as volume goes, it depends on the source. The volume postition could be at 10 or 11 o'clock for some sources to as far as 2:30 or 3 o'clock for others. Depends on the mastering I guess, with the older CD masters requiring higher volume settings.

All of what you said confirms my experiences. My GS1000's really like my DV 337SE, there is to much brightness and sibilance with the MKV. Just wanted to ask if you had the same experiences I have had, and it's spot on. All my other Canz like the MKV. I was wondering about how much of the volume control you used and it's the same to me.

Thanx!

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #651 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if anyone has tried this amplifier with the Beyerdynamic DT880s? Would this combination be good?

Asus Essence STX --> MKV --> DT880's here.

Depends what you want out of the DT880 tbh.
Good combination indeed as a great SS amp like this one if you want to bring out the potential of the DT880 in terms of it's known super detail.

Some people want warmth thus some like tube amps (such as the MKV tube anmp equivalent, the MKIVse).

That said, great synergy for detail

dt880smile.png

I do feel it leans on the bright side sound wise however with the DT880.
However it will soften the piecing highs which is good.

May 10, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #652 of 740
So the only opamps someone tried in this so far are LT1364 (which he didn't quite like) and LM4562 (LME49720) which e described as "fun" (which i can fully understand as it's a family i always keep coming back to). I will discount the HDAMs if they can't be secured right.
Not sure a OPA627 would work since the original opamp is dual channel and the 2 he ran are dual channel, unles of course he meant 2xOPA627 on browndog adapters per channel.

Anyone try this or more yet?

May 13, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #653 of 740
I'm currently using a Shanling PH300 with K701s, with the preamp out into an NAD poweramp -- whilst the K701s sound brilliant, the buzz on speakers is far too loud to be tolerable. Has anyone tried to Little Dot MkV preamp out with a poweramp? How was the speaker background noise?

May 14, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #654 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordearl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
… Has anyone tried to Little Dot MkV preamp out with a poweramp? …

Hi lordearl, the MK V doesn't have preamp out. It does have two inputs, though.

May 16, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #655 of 740
I would have to agree about all the positive things i read about the MkV on this thread, but i need to verify for myself that the LME49720 do not make it even better.
DavidZheZhe is unfortunately dreading a support nightmare if we all come and ask about our favorite opamps, so he is not much help there
wink.gif

Seeing how the LME49710 was "the best" opamp in my portable headphone amp, i can't help but want to know why it wouldn't be the best here too, the opamps are similar enough that it seems to be worth a try.

See this as a +1 on recommending the MkV to people looking for a solid state amp.
To all those cranking it up to 100% w/o a source connected: As long as it's quiet with a connected, paused source, stop what you are doing and go enjoy the amp if used properly.

One happy HD600 + MkV owner.

May 23, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #656 of 740
I'm having a problem with the 'hiss' thing here. Even at 0 volume, my ad900, hd25-1 II, and pk1 still have some slight hiss, not very distracting though but still audible. When I crank up to 100%, the hiss is completely noticeable and I wonder if it is because of my low impedance headphones.
My sources are laptop -> emu0404. It is said that the mkV is a decent source loving amp and I dont think the emu0404 is a crappy dac by any means. Besides, the hiss only increases only when I turn the mkV's volume up, the volume of the emu doesnt affect the amount of hiss at all.
Any suggestion? The impedance adapter is quite expensive for its price at 17 pounds~~

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #658 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvetvoltage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new LD MkV and LD DAC_1 should arrive in the next week or two. I'll add my two cents worth here soon as I've scratched together some...
L3000.gif

be careful so the shipping company doesn't charge you for customs

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #660 of 740
An update on my MKV and low ohm headphone hissing. I have stated that with my K601 and now my DT880 the MKV is totally black, no background hum or hiss. With my AD900 (35ohms) it hissed like an angry snake. However I recently purchased a pair of Pro900s (40 ohms) and it is totally black. So the ohms of the headphone is not the only measure of compatability and "hissing" issues with the MKV.

I would like to add that the Little Dot MKV with both the Pro 900 and DT880 (250 ohm 2005) is a match made in heaven. I can't see me upgrading amps for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back