REVIEW: Nuforce NE-7M iPhone IEM vs Denon C700 and Klipsch Image X10 (NE-8 Impressions Added 1/15/09)
Apr 23, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #646 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the source or DAP does make a difference in the un-amped sound. The NE-7M right out of an iPod Nano 3G/4G or iPhone are enjoyable and not over the top, and just get better with an amp but I don't feel one is needed. Sometimes I think the C700 are tuned to sound best from the older/duller sounding iPods, and with the newer ones the C700 bass is too bloated and the highs are too edgy. I don't have that issue with the NE-7M and the iPhone or newer iPods. Also, to add to this, there are many good IEM that need to be amped for me to enjoy them - including SE310, E4c, ER6i, RE2, NE-8, IM716 and Sleek SA6 (as far as IEM that I have experienced). It doesn't matter what DAP I use with them as they never sounded as good as when amped.

I also think I wasn't clear that I owned the SE310 at different times than the NE-7M, and talked about them in the past tense. My experience with SE310 vs C700 un-amped in 2007 resulted in me eventually selling the SE310 (why keep the SE310 when I also had the SE530). Then a year later in my NE-7M review I only compared the NE-7M to the C700 and X10 because that is all I had left that would compete with them (the SE530 were well above these). I did not get to listen to the SE310 side by side with the NE-7M. But, I did find the NE-7M to be better than the C700 and by logical extension one could say that the NE-7M are then also better than the SE310.

But that is not entirely true - I would say the NE-7M are better than C700 in the bass control and treble smoothness, which are similar things that the SE310 have over the C700. So that really puts the NE-7M between the SE310 and the C700 in terms of sound signature when un-amped. The SE310 just didn't have that spark of life to the sound without an amp, and I didn't want to carry an amp around all the time. The C700 are colored enough that it is harder to find an amp that they sound good with, while the NE-7M and SE310 were less picky.

Now I know why you liked ne-7m that much.Because I tried my friends ipod 3g and my ne-yms.A perfect combo and even unamped.And yes you are right dap SQ means a lot when its unamped.

I think I am getting happier with my nuforce.first of all I think burn-is effecting the sounds bit by bit and I am getting used to them.Just the thing I missed of is the clarity and the isolation of SE310.But these things are really really good for the 50 usd.

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #647 of 854
ok i just got my nu7m, and its amazing. Thanks for the review Yoda dude!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #648 of 854
Sorry, I really don't want to read through the comments and I have a question. What MP3 players does this NOT work with? Creative Zen is one, are there any others? I have an iPod 80gb 5G and a Sansa Clip, and I think I'm gonna get a new mp3 player soon (Cowon S9 perhaps?) and I'd like to just be reassured that the NE-7M will work with these. I just mean sound, the volume adjustment or whatever isn't necessary.

And how much microphonics is there when you loop it over the ear? I have the Sony MDR-EX71 and I'm comfortable with the amount of cable noise in them with regular insertment (NOT over the ear), so I'd like the microphonics to be at that level or lower.

Apr 27, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #649 of 854
I can't say anything about players other than I think I've read it works fine with Zunes, and also work with Sandisk products but you may have to fiddle with the plug on sokme models.

Microphonics are almost nill when looped over the ear and there is no cable rub noise than cloth coated IEM's have.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #650 of 854
Its amazing how much of a difference a set of tips make. Using the stock tips these phones sounded lifeless and lacked articulate bass. After reading, I purchased the E2c soft flex sleeves and the difference is night and day. These earphones now sound amazing and the $50 price is definitely a plus. Highly recommend them!
Thanks again to hfa for the initial review

May 2, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #652 of 854
HeadphoneAddict, I noticed that throughout this thread you praised the E2c tips/NE-7M combo. I'm looking to grab some since I don't like the stock NE-7M tips and since I'm just not a foamie person. Can you let me know if these are the E2c tips you have been referencing:

Shure - Black Soft Flex Sleeves

If it isn't those ones then I'd appreciate if you could link me to the right ones.

Thanks for that and the thread.
ksc75smile.gif

May 2, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #653 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Greg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict, I noticed that throughout this thread you praised the E2c tips/NE-7M combo. I'm looking to grab some since I don't like the stock NE-7M tips and since I'm just not a foamie person. Can you let me know if these are the E2c tips you have been referencing:

Shure - Black Soft Flex Sleeves

If it isn't those ones then I'd appreciate if you could link me to the right ones.

Thanks for that and the thread.
ksc75smile.gif

As far as I can tell, those are the ones.

You could also get them from "fplstore" seller at eBay. For example here is a link to the mediums: Shure E2 SCL2 Sony MDR-EX71 Earphone Sleeve M 10 Pk NEW - eBay (item 220372007910 end time May-02-09 13:59:01 PDT)

May 3, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #654 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the build quality of these? Any reports of earpiece failings like with those other 'phones from China that were popular on here from a while back (that look a lot like these except with red/blue earpieces instead of gold)?

After reading a number of positive reviews (including Larry’s excellent post that started this thread) I picked a pair up on Amazon which shipped directly from NuForce. Unfortunately for me only after a handful of hours of use one channel disappeared while swapping tips. My story goes like this…

I had bought these as a step up over the standard nonsense that is packaged with most portables. My plan was to spend some a little time with them and then hand them over to one of my high school aged daughters as a nice upgrade to improve her portable listening experience. I had been looking at several options for her and had chosen these in the $30-$50 price point so that neither of us would be too upset if something “bad” happened to them. I know my kids can be rougher on headphones than I (hey they are kids) so the fact that I had a problem out of the gate, while only in my hands, was probably not a good omen for their possible long term use… or is that abuse?
smily_headphones1.gif

So what happened to me? Well a short occurred somewhere and one channel went bye-bye. I must admit this was pretty disappointing, but I will certainly give NuForce the benefit of the doubt and will just attribute it to a manufacturing glitch or perhaps even user error while changing tips. I have owned a handful of various IEM headphones, from crap to sublime, over the past couple years and have never had any problems changing out dozens of accompanying tips in the standard anal ritual of trying to extract the best combination of comfort, seal and sound. So who knows what happened??

To NUForce’s credit they handled the return professionally and promptly. Based entirely on the e-mail correspondence I had with them they indicated to me it was perhaps a quality control issues that they are working out. They said, “Sorry to hear that. I believe what you experienced is due to spotty QC at the factory (many customers have used NE-7 for more than 6 months without problem) and we are working with the factory to improve NE-7M.” This seemed like a honest response for a possible QC problem and certainly works much better than saying…”way to go you idiot for breaking our excellent headphones.”
tongue.gif

I decided not to receive a replacement mostly on them failing so quickly in my hands and was really more worried about the longevity in my kid’s possession. So I requested a refund which was executed after I mailed them back at my expense. In the end I was out the return shipping and the time spent and that was about it.

That said, I would still recommend them regardless of a pair going bad in a week under my watch. We all know that manufacturing issues can and do occur and I probably got a lemon or perhaps I am in fact an idiot for breaking their nice headphones! Having not had any problems with any of my IEMs I’ll simply write it off to the laws of probability.

Bottom line was in the very short time I spent with them I did find them, even right out of the gate, to be a terrific sounding headphone for the price point. I really didn’t spent any time forming a review type opinion and they certainly were not even remotely burned in. I have no idea if they have quality control issues, yet I somehow doubt it is a huge concern since there aren’t pages of negative posts, which probably makes all this a minimal issue. I can say without reservations that NuForce does stand behind their product and they are prompt, pleasant and very responsive to deal with.

So there you have it…just another persons experience in the day-to-day fun and adventures of head-fi. So I’m back to researching other possible upgrading options for the daughters while I anxiously await the arrival of my latest personal obsession…some new Westone UM3X’s!

I did just recently read a thread about the RE2 lower price point, so I’m seriously considering picking up a pair as another potential option for the kid(s). In an effort not to hijack this tread if that is (or is not) a wise move please feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

May 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #655 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribalambient /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading a number of positive reviews (including Larry’s excellent post that started this thread) I picked a pair up on Amazon which shipped directly from NuForce. Unfortunately for me only after a handful of hours of use one channel disappeared while swapping tips. My story goes like this…

I had bought these as a step up over the standard nonsense that is packaged with most portables. My plan was to spend some a little time with them and then hand them over to one of my high school aged daughters as a nice upgrade to improve her portable listening experience. I had been looking at several options for her and had chosen these in the $30-$50 price point so that neither of us would be too upset if something “bad” happened to them. I know my kids can be rougher on headphones than I (hey they are kids) so the fact that I had a problem out of the gate, while only in my hands, was probably not a good omen for their possible long term use… or is that abuse?
smily_headphones1.gif

So what happened to me? Well a short occurred somewhere and one channel went bye-bye. I must admit this was pretty disappointing, but I will certainly give NuForce the benefit of the doubt and will just attribute it to a manufacturing glitch or perhaps even user error while changing tips. I have owned a handful of various IEM headphones, from crap to sublime, over the past couple years and have never had any problems changing out dozens of accompanying tips in the standard anal ritual of trying to extract the best combination of comfort, seal and sound. So who knows what happened??

To NUForce’s credit they handled the return professionally and promptly. Based entirely on the e-mail correspondence I had with them they indicated to me it was perhaps a quality control issues that they are working out. They said, “Sorry to hear that. I believe what you experienced is due to spotty QC at the factory (many customers have used NE-7 for more than 6 months without problem) and we are working with the factory to improve NE-7M.” This seemed like a honest response for a possible QC problem and certainly works much better than saying…”way to go you idiot for breaking our excellent headphones.”
tongue.gif

I decided not to receive a replacement mostly on them failing so quickly in my hands and was really more worried about the longevity in my kid’s possession. So I requested a refund which was executed after I mailed them back at my expense. In the end I was out the return shipping and the time spent and that was about it.

That said, I would still recommend them regardless of a pair going bad in a week under my watch. We all know that manufacturing issues can and do occur and I probably got a lemon or perhaps I am in fact an idiot for breaking their nice headphones! Having not had any problems with any of my IEMs I’ll simply write it off to the laws of probability.

Bottom line was in the very short time I spent with them I did find them, even right out of the gate, to be a terrific sounding headphone for the price point. I really didn’t spent any time forming a review type opinion and they certainly were not even remotely burned in. I have no idea if they have quality control issues, yet I somehow doubt it is a huge concern since there aren’t pages of negative posts, which probably makes all this a minimal issue. I can say without reservations that NuForce does stand behind their product and they are prompt, pleasant and very responsive to deal with.

So there you have it…just another persons experience in the day-to-day fun and adventures of head-fi. So I’m back to researching other possible upgrading options for the daughters while I anxiously await the arrival of my latest personal obsession…some new Westone UM3X’s!

I did just recently read a thread about the RE2 lower price point, so I’m seriously considering picking up a pair as another potential option for the kid(s). In an effort not to hijack this tread if that is (or is not) a wise move please feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Thanks. The other phones I was thinking about were the Crossroads Mylars by the way, which look a lot like these except with different color earpieces. I'm guessing NuForce are probably using the same housing.

Are there any pics of anyone wearing these, by the way? They look kind of big, plus I'm not crazy about the color. Shouldn't matter much, but it does a bit since I will be wearing them in public most of the time. I'm leaning toward the Denon 551 but not settled on it yet.

May 4, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #656 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. The other phones I was thinking about were the Crossroads Mylars by the way, which look a lot like these except with different color earpieces. I'm guessing NuForce are probably using the same housing.

Are there any pics of anyone wearing these, by the way? They look kind of big, plus I'm not crazy about the color. Shouldn't matter much, but it does a bit since I will be wearing them in public most of the time. I'm leaning toward the Denon 551 but not settled on it yet.

I could have sworn there are photos of them being worn posted somewhere in the thread. You'll just have to look harder?

EDIT - I did it for you - searched for all posts by HeadphoneAddict with the word "photo" in them. Found one post: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...ml#post5238971

May 4, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #657 of 854
Quote:

I could have sworn there are photos of them being worn posted somewhere in the thread. You'll just have to look harder?

EDIT - I did it for you - searched for all posts by HeadphoneAddict with the word "photo" in them. Found one post: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...ml#post5238971

Thanks! Wow, those look they they are far in your ear. Looks like the gold barrel is in your ear!

Does it look like this with everyone, or does the gold barrel stick out with some of you who own these?

May 4, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #658 of 854
I have to say that I am still using these (been about 4-5 months now) and they are still in A-1 condition, and for those of you who do not like having to clean the tips by hand, I have found that these NE-7M's are also machine washable! What a bonus!

(Trust me, I found out the hard way, ALWAYS check your Hoodie's pockets before bunging it in the wash!) Having said that, there do not appear to have been any side effects, a slight channel imbalance for the first hour or so, then back to normal, after drying of course!

On a related note, how many hours are you guys managing to get out of your comply t400 tips? Mine seem to get pretty grubby after a couple of days, I am considering cleaning them, but have heard that this has a detrimental effect on the foam and therefore sound quality?

May 5, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #660 of 854
Quote:

Don't forget the X10 and Nuforce sound very different from each other and both are very good in different ways. The Image are somewhat more refined, and carry more weight, and many will like them better. I like the image better with some music, and NE-7M with others, as stated in my review. I did just sell the X10 to buy my Westone 3 review sample, but that is another story.

Hi Headphoneaddict,

Are these impression between the X10 and NE-7M based on listening through the Predator or Pico amp?

I'm using Pico DAC/Amp and is looking to upgrade my Sony MDR-EX90LP.

I was eyeing the X10 for a full bodied sound but I'm afraid that it may be too fat and bloated sounding. The NE-7M does sounds like a viable alternative but will it be too analytical sounding with the Pico?

I listen mostly to acoustic music, so natural sounding timbre and texture are important to me.

Look forward to your feedback. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back