[REVIEW]: Noble Audio Kaiser 10: 10-driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitor
Oct 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #166 of 367
  I think he means everything sounds harmoniously one piece.  In some C/IEMS individual instruments are delineated separately not blending organically.  I don't find this to be a fault, it's an interesting/useful characteristic in Etymotic IEMs and provides a sense of clarity that can be appealing and useful (for mixing).

You've got it exactly, thanks.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #167 of 367
  So in other words, imaging is poor on this particular CIEM since it cannot show the individual instruments as how it was recorded to be?

I'm not sure how you're making this claim without having heard the earphone.

Here's how I hear it (emphasis added):

For imaging, again, I’m not getting the artificially hyper-separated sound where each instrument sounds as though it was pasted in, but a more true to the recording sound where each instrument has its own place on the soundstage. The Kaiser doesn't quite have the perfect coherence of a single dynamic-driver design, but its 10-drivers are very well brought together. I’d call it a medium size for an earphone, changing with the recording.  Keep in mind that these soundstage cues come from the recording. To me, a good earphone faithfully reproduces these cues for your ears rather than imposing its own effect. Your preferences may differ.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #170 of 367
Wait up a second: How can an IEM image, given there is no interaction with our pinna? You do get some stereo imaging, but isn't what you guys are talking about more to do with multiple instruments or sounds not interfering with each other during playback? 
smile.gif

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #171 of 367
  Wait up a second: How can an IEM image, given there is no interaction with our pinna? You do get some stereo imaging, but isn't what you guys are talking about more to do with multiple instruments or sounds not interfering with each other during playback? 
smile.gif

It's quite possible. For instance, with certain instrument recordings, you can gear the placement of the orchestral pieces. In drum recordings, I can place the high hat, the toms, the snare that is slightly to the right of the high hat, and the crashes are where they should be.

I think imaging has more to do with driver speed and the time domain, rather than just physiology.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #172 of 367
Just for fun, here's a comparison with a loaner Spiral Ears SE5
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685225/review-noble-audio-kaiser-10-10-driver-custom-fit-in-ear-monitor#post_9875347

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #173 of 367
smile.gif

It can, to some extent, if the tuning can compensate for the lack of pinna (by interaction with pinnas you are referring to the resonance in the midrange?), though that's one tough job to accomplish.

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #174 of 367
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685225/review-noble-audio-kaiser-10-10-driver-custom-fit-in-ear-monitor#post_9875347

Very interesting comparison, thank you. I do not hear the SE5 as you do (not bassy, at least much less than 335 for instance, and not particularly warm, and trebble quite clear and extended, not as bright as 1Plus2, but still not that warm) but the comparison still sheds some light on the sig of the K10.

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #175 of 367

Very interesting comparison of two similarly-priced flagships! I'd still love to read a comparison between a K10 and a fully fitted SE5 though - I remember Average_Joe noticed quite a difference between his almost-fitting SE5 and the perfectly fitted remold.

I wonder how many K10's are on their way to new owners, I need moar comparisons! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #178 of 367
Very interesting comparison of two similarly-priced flagships! I'd still love to read a comparison between a K10 and a fully fitted SE5 though - I remember Average_Joe noticed quite a difference between his almost-fitting SE5 and the perfectly fitted remold.

I wonder how many K10's are on their way to new owners, I need moar comparisons! :D

For myself, I'm waiting a comparison with the Roxanne. I'll use the k10 in balanced mode, something I couldn't do with the Roxanne apparently...

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #179 of 367

​
For myself, I'm waiting a comparison with the Roxanne. I'll use the k10 in balanced mode, something I couldn't do with the Roxanne apparently...

I'd love to try the K10 in a balanced setup... Which amp will you be using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back