REVIEW: iBasso D1, Leckerton Audio UHA-3, and Meier Corda Move compared.
Oct 2, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #166 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colscot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry boss. I won't waste any more of your precious time. You guys are unreal.

Woh somebody's got their panties in a bunch. Calm down. I guess I get some negative comments for trying to help and even looking up a link for you. I must say it takes unreal to see unreal.

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #167 of 247
He may have meant "unreal" in a positive way but I'm not sure. I would certainly use "unreal" to describe the amazing knowledge you guys have. I'm new to the whole idea of head phone amps and wouldn't have made any progress with out any of your help! (unreal also describes souperman's ability to plow through all of his school exams and still manage to send me some opamps)

YOU GUYS ROCK!

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #168 of 247
I just made a major update to this review:

UPDATE 10-5-07: I received from Mrarroyo a D1 with better op-amps, as follows:

AD8656 in the DAC (replacing the AD8616)
LM4562 (2) as a buffer in the Amp (replacing the NE5532)
OPA2111 in the Amp (replacing the AD823)

Well, the D1 sounds MUCH better in this configuration, which will come as no surprise to anyone who has been following the gargantuan D1 thread. It's better in EVERY conceivable way. And I mean EVERY way. It's almost enough to convince me to roll op-amps. iBasso itself is coming out with a version of the D1 with better op-amps, and it will be interesting to see which ones they choose. There are SO many configurations. But in this config, the D1 is very good even just as a headphone amp from the analog input. It sounds great. I still slightly prefer the sound of the Move, for the D1 is still a little more aggressive and the Move slightly smoother while being just as detailed, but it's now very close.

And in USB DAC mode, the already very good sound of the D1 just gets better. It sounds terrific in this mode - highly enjoyable. It's now smoother and more transparent than the sound I described above using it as a DAC.

I'm not sure what the total cost is now with these upgrades, but the D1 is quite good. The Meier Move's USB DAC is just not it's strong suit, as the below will show...

ENTER: the Leckerton Audio UHA-3.

Well, this does complicate things a bit. The UHA-3, which I have just added to my portable amp review, is an excellent sounding amp, and it contains an excellent USB DAC. As an amp, it's better than the stock D1 by a WIDE margin (although not as good as the Move). It's very close to the modded D1 used just as an amp. The UHA-3 is noticably warmer sounding, which will appeal more to some listeners than others, but I loved it, and many will prefer it's sound over the D1, even modded, although I think overall the modded D1 as an amp only is slightly better.

But as a USB DAC, it's still very competitive with the D1. Again, different sonic signature. VERY different from the stock D1, which seems cold and aggressive compared to the UHA-3. The Modded D1 as a DAC is better sounding than the UHA-3, but only by a fairly small margin. The UHA-3 again is warmer and smoother, while offering just a little less detail and treble extension, and being just a tiny bit less transparent.

But the UHA-3 is quite a bit less money than even the stock D1, and certainly less that with a bunch of new op-amps. So it's quite a toss up - the UHA-3 is the better bargain in my mind for someone who wants a battery powered USB AMP/DAC combo. It's also FAR smaller and lighter than the D1, but of course the D1 also has optical and coax digital inputs.

Decisions, decisions, for the potential buyer. It's nice to have choices! My opinion is, though:

STAND ALONE AMP: Move > Modded D1 > UHA-3 > Stock D1

USB DAC/AMP: Modded D1 > UHA-3 > Stock D1 > Move.

And there you go.

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #169 of 247
Skylab,

As always thank you for such outstanding contributions. I asked you earlier on the thread what you thought regarding best to best: that is, D1+D1 DAC vs. Move+IMod. You responded that "there was no clear winner" and that it really was a question of music and preference rather than quality. Does the modded D1 affect that at all, or would you consider it the same case?

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #170 of 247
Thanks for the update Skylab! Do you know what op amps are used in the Move you compared the D1 to? I ordered all the op amps mentioned in the modded D1. I received 2 OPA2111's from Newark Electronics and tested them out in my Practical Devices cmoy tin amp. One OPA2111 was defective and distorts, the other one sounds nice but oscillates and buzzes in the left channel. I hope I did not get 2 bad OPA2111's from Newark. They are expensive at over $12 USD each! I am hoping that Newark will replace the defective one that distorts. I plan on configuring my D1 when I get it (it still out of stock!) the same as your tested modded D1. But I am curious what op amp stages are used in the Move since you think it sounds better?

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #171 of 247
I suspect the out-of-stock D1 may have something to do with the upgraded version they sent to Skylab. I'm hoping that when they're available again, that they'll send the upgraded version they sent Skylab.

Skylab, do you know anything we might want to know?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #173 of 247
Wow that is a great update Skylab. Thanks for that.

I wonder if maybe you can try the using the D1's (sotck/modded) DAC line out and connect it to MOVE for the amp. Will it be poor man's version of Corda opera ??

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #175 of 247
Great review Skylab.

My modded D1 so far is excellent. Ron is making me some opamps sets that will make it even better.

Im looking forward to the Pico and top secret RSA DAC/Amp. Theses 2 should do some damage to our wallets.

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #176 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im looking forward to the Pico and top secret RSA DAC/Amp. Theses 2 should do some damage to our wallets.

RSA is working on a DAC/amp?! Oh geez, things are going to get interesting...

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #177 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by douglasjboehme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect the out-of-stock D1 may have something to do with the upgraded version they sent to Skylab. I'm hoping that when they're available again, that they'll send the upgraded version they sent Skylab.

Skylab, do you know anything we might want to know?
smily_headphones1.gif

iBasso didn't send the modded amp, Mrarroyo loaned his out to skylab...

Now it is up to HiFlight to find the opamp combo that will really float Skylab's wish for a warm lush amp.
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #178 of 247
err Hiflight just posted that there is no 'best'--it is a personal judgement call. How is he supposed to figure out what Skylab would feel is his 'best combination?

If one wants to find the best for themselves the only way is to personally try all the combinations. The other option is to settle for a consensus 'good enough' combination which appears to be Marroyo's configuration.

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #179 of 247
Is the warmness of the Leckerton okay for using with a set of DT990 and SE530?

If so, wow, great price, good feature set, just what I was looking for, too bad it's ugly.

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #180 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by unbiased /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the update Skylab! Do you know what op amps are used in the Move you compared the D1 to? I ordered all the op amps mentioned in the modded D1. I received 2 OPA2111's from Newark Electronics and tested them out in my Practical Devices cmoy tin amp. One OPA2111 was defective and distorts, the other one sounds nice but oscillates and buzzes in the left channel. I hope I did not get 2 bad OPA2111's from Newark. They are expensive at over $12 USD each! I am hoping that Newark will replace the defective one that distorts. I plan on configuring my D1 when I get it (it still out of stock!) the same as your tested modded D1. But I am curious what op amp stages are used in the Move since you think it sounds better?

The MOVE uses a pair of AD8610's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back