REVIEW: iBasso D1, Leckerton Audio UHA-3, and Meier Corda Move compared.
Oct 6, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #181 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
STAND ALONE AMP: Move > Modded D1 > UHA-3 > Stock D1

USB DAC/AMP: Modded D1 > UHA-3 > Stock D1 > Move.

From the sounds of this, it looks as if we could anticipate a MOVE PRO with an improved DAC circuit...

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #182 of 247
Very nice review skylab, thanks a lot. I just like the small size of the Leckerton.

How about a groupbuy for the UHA-3 guys? I remember they sold it cheaper (149 if I remember correctly) as an introductory price not so long ago. I hope they can lower the price a bit if there is a consequant number of us interested.

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #183 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,

As always thank you for such outstanding contributions. I asked you earlier on the thread what you thought regarding best to best: that is, D1+D1 DAC vs. Move+IMod. You responded that "there was no clear winner" and that it really was a question of music and preference rather than quality. Does the modded D1 affect that at all, or would you consider it the same case?

I still think it's basically a toss-up, modded D1 DAC/AMP versus iMod>Move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unbiased /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the update Skylab! Do you know what op amps are used in the Move you compared the D1 to? ... But I am curious what op amp stages are used in the Move since you think it sounds better?

My Move of course was the standard Move, dual AD8610's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow that is a great update Skylab. Thanks for that.

I wonder if maybe you can try the using the D1's (sotck/modded) DAC line out and connect it to MOVE for the amp. Will it be poor man's version of Corda opera ??

Ummmm...no, it isn't. While that sounds pretty good, it's nowhere near on the level of the Opera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the warmness of the Leckerton okay for using with a set of DT990 and SE530?

If so, wow, great price, good feature set, just what I was looking for, too bad it's ugly.

It's AWESOME for DT990's. But maybe not the best thing for Shure IEMs. And I don't think it's ugly
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys.

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #184 of 247
Quote:

...I'm not sure what the total cost is now with these upgrades, but the D1 is quite good....But the UHA-3 is quite a bit less money than even the stock D1, and certainly less that with a bunch of new op-amps...

I will try to address the issue of money/cost. The op-amps rolled into the D1 can be had for free! Zero, zilch, Nada, etc.
icon10.gif

All you have to do is to register w/ the various manufacturers and they will send you free samples. In the unlikely event that you choose an op-amp that has to be mounted the cost is very minimal if you choose not to do it yourself. I have paid $5 per op-amp for the service including the adapter, so for $15 I had two mounted and and additional $5 for S&H.

On the other hand if you decide not to bother w/ the registration you will pay about $5 to $10 for the chips so on average you will spend about $35 for four op-amps provided you can get them from the same vendor to save on S&H.

FYI, you can purchase the iBasso D1 for $209 w/o cables. Most of us already have them so you can save yourself $20 from the fully packaged iBasso D1. This fact brigns the iBasso D1 within $20 from the UHA-3. So in closing the cost is not an issue and should not be part of the decision since you can get the op-amps for free.
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #185 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by douglasjboehme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect the out-of-stock D1 may have something to do with the upgraded version they sent to Skylab. I'm hoping that when they're available again, that they'll send the upgraded version they sent Skylab.

Skylab, do you know anything we might want to know?
smily_headphones1.gif

The D1 that skylab just tested is my unit which I modded. I am not aware of iBasso sending out any modded D1's.

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #186 of 247
Indeed, although someone posted that iBasso was going to release an official version of the D1 with upgraded op amps.

Thanks again to you Miguel for the loan of the modded D1.

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #188 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iBasso didn't send the modded amp, Mrarroyo loaned his out to skylab...

Now it is up to HiFlight to find the opamp combo that will really float Skylab's wish for a warm lush amp.
tongue.gif

I have found a combo that I personally like even better than the 2111/4562, plus it only draws about 25% of the current of the above configuration.

SQ is, however, in the ear of the beholder!

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #189 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by koto-in /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MOVE uses a pair of AD8610's.

Thanks Koto for responding to answer this. Do you know what are the other op amps used in the other sections? I am curious to try the op amp combo out in the D1 when I get it. I think with a little extra modding, this amp can probably be made to sound just as good as any othe high-end amp. ?!?!
rs1smile.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #191 of 247
Quote:

Indeed, although someone posted that iBasso was going to release an official version of the D1 with upgraded op amps.

Thanks again to you Miguel for the loan of the modded D1.

Indeed, Indeed! Here's hoping that they will ship out the new updated version to us customer's who have preordered, paid and have been waiting and waiting patiently... to reward us for the wait. Slim chance I know. Wishful thinking. hoping it comes true! Would make big bonus points with us!
rs1smile.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #192 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by unbiased /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Koto for responding to answer this. Do you know what are the other op amps used in the other sections? I am curious to try the op amp combo out in the D1 when I get it. I think with a little extra modding, this amp can probably be made to sound just as good as any othe high-end amp. ?!?!
rs1smile.gif

The DAC in the MOVE is a PCM2704. There are no buffers in the MOVE.

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #193 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by koto-in /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC in the MOVE is a PCM2704. There are no buffers in the MOVE.

Thanks Koto-in for that tidbit of info.

I want to mention something interesting and important for op amp rollers to know.
I have received my order of 8 OPA2132 op amps, 8 OPA2134 op amps, 8 OPA627 op amps, 2 AD825 op amps and 2 OPA2111 op amps. I have a couple types more on order (LM4562NA and AD8656ARZ) but they have not arrived yet. While I a waiting for my D1 to arrive, I have tried testing my new op amps in my socketed Xmoy2 tin can amp made by Practical Devices.

I tested all 8 of my OPA2132 op amps one by one in this amp. I noticed that within the same model types of op amps there can be quite huge differences in sound quality! In other workds the Quality Control (QC) tolerances of these devices seems to be quite variable. The first 5 OPA2132's I listened to sounded very smooth compare to the other 3 which sounded brighter and harsher! What does this mean and what is my point to bring it up here?
It means, we have to be careful in making and taking judgements of particular op amp comparisons from the reviews that we read when someone is rolling op amps and comparing them. One OPA2132 might not sound the same as another OPA2132 and could lead to totally different opinions and outcomes for example. I guess that is why we see so many varied opinions on any particular op amp. Some folks totally rave about the OPA2132 while others totally dimiss it as a high quality audio amp. Maybe this wide difference is due to the QC of op amps. Some sound great, some don't within te same model type op amps let alone comparing to different model opamps.
Long post, sorry. But important to keep this in mind. It basically makes it a hit or miss gamble when you get only 1 or 2 op amps to try out. Don't know if you got one that is a good one or one that tolerance falls at the bad end of the scale. So one must by them in batch quantities and sample them for the best of the litter... totally impractical for the casual hobbyist. darn.

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #194 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpfiguer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you please describe this combo?

Thanks

Either the ADA4841-2 or LTC6241HV as LR with LMH6643 as buffers.

All 3 are only available in the SOIC configuration and need to be soldered onto adapters.

This is my personal favorite configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back