Review, Future Sonics Atrios: Comparison between different tips
Jan 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #181 of 237
I think I'm becoming convinced by the FS foams too. I just wish there was medium size. It seems like the secret is that they extend fairly deep in the ear compared to typical single flange silicones. The FS foams do not negatively affect the treble if you can get the correct fit. 

This is my second time around with the mg7pros. I am now convinced they don't need larger burn in/break in times. I think the whole issue around their sound changing and sibilance subsiding, is due to brain burn in and most likely fit.  Since its my second pair, I knew how to achieve fit for me right away and they sound great out of the box, just like I remember and just like my 100+ hour notes from before. 

This time I got the new recycled material case, which is really nice. I hated the oversized rectangle that came with previous version. 

I've also used the Jays silicone tips with Shure olive cores. They sound good too but the FS foams are slightly better. Once again to the deeper fit I think. I'll try some Klipsch gels and my westone um56 tips tonight. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #182 of 237
I just got Sony hybrids, I'll have to give those a whirl.  I tried Monster Supertips not too long ago, and they were good but nothing special.

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #183 of 237

Quote:
I think I'm becoming convinced by the FS foams too. I just wish there was medium size. It seems like the secret is that they extend fairly deep in the ear compared to typical single flange silicones. The FS foams do not negatively affect the treble if you can get the correct fit. 

This is my second time around with the mg7pros. I am now convinced they don't need larger burn in/break in times. I think the whole issue around their sound changing and sibilance subsiding, is due to brain burn in and most likely fit.  Since its my second pair, I knew how to achieve fit for me right away and they sound great out of the box, just like I remember and just like my 100+ hour notes from before. 

This time I got the new recycled material case, which is really nice. I hated the oversized rectangle that came with previous version. 

I've also used the Jays silicone tips with Shure olive cores. They sound good too but the FS foams are slightly better. Once again to the deeper fit I think. I'll try some Klipsch gels and my westone um56 tips tonight. 

I agree with you totally. The FS foams are just the absolute perfect match for the Atrio. The eargels are good too but you will notice the bass is thicker and not as "bouncy" (e.g. progressive trance) and dynamic as with the FS foams. I bulk purchased the FS foams as I just love the sound with this combo.

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #184 of 237
I got a pair of these a couple weeks ago when they had the 1/2 off sale. Best deal on some of the best phones I've ever heard. I went straight to the large black foam tips and I think that there are  no holes in the sound.Great soundstage. Great micro detail w/o being too analytical. A lot of people say the mids are recessed.I don't hear it. I also have never heard any sibilance from these. But, I only listen to full AIFF files. I think that makes a HUGE difference in how a system sounds.  Best $100 I've spent on audio. I listen direct from my iPod Touch. Perfect.

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #186 of 237
Ok, I tried about everything tonight (except the custom um56 tips) and the FS black foams are the clear winner to me.  I don't think I'll be letting these get away from me this time around...

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #187 of 237

Quote:
Ok, I tried about everything tonight (except the custom um56 tips) and the FS black foams are the clear winner to me.  I don't think I'll be letting these get away from me this time around...

Yes, black foams!

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #188 of 237
Getting a test pair of the FS blacks from navmau (I bought the MG7 just before they started including the FS blacks).

I've been using the Shure Black Olives for about a week now and while they're quite good for minimal/tech house they kill anything with vocals or high instrumentals - I'd even say they give the Atrio's sibilance in some instances.

FS Cream foams have been the best sounding so far but they're virtually disposable in durability.

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #190 of 237

Quote:

Ditto...I have a bunch of foam tips too and I love they're only $10 for a 10 pack.  Beige tips are my favorite.  I love FS!

I missed that special they had going, I purchased mine before that discount. I just noticed they are now back to $15/10 pack.

Quote:

It's like that with the Atrio's. Fit problems can mean the user gets rid of what are awesome IEMs. With the FS foams, they really come alive!

Quote:
Getting a test pair of the FS blacks from navmau (I bought the MG7 just before they started including the FS blacks).

I've been using the Shure Black Olives for about a week now and while they're quite good for minimal/tech house they kill anything with vocals or high instrumentals - I'd even say they give the Atrio's sibilance in some instances.

FS Cream foams have been the best sounding so far but they're virtually disposable in durability.

I am not finding a massive difference between the creams and blacks. Sound stage reduces a little with the blacks but you gain 2-3 times the durability with the blacks.

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #191 of 237

Quote:
I missed that special they had going, I purchased mine before that discount. I just noticed they are now back to $15/10 pack.

They're still $10 / 10 pack in case you wanted the beige or blacks.

Some people report durability issues?  Here's what I do in case it's helpful for someone - Immediately after I wear them I dunk them in a cup of warm water, squeeze them a few times in the water, and let them sit in the water.  At least 30 minutes, sometimes longer.  Then I take them out, don't squeeze, let them sit on a napkin and air dry...good as new.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #192 of 237
I wash mine too but I find the blacks are more dirt resistant and even with constant washing, I think they hold up better.

I don't think I need more, I have way too many already. Postage is also expensive to Australia unfortunately.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #193 of 237
@navmau, you've sold me.  Black FS foams are my favorite and the Klipsch gels are a close second. I sure wish I would have had these when I first had the mg7; I never would have sold them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back