Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jul 26, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #1,097 of 4,469
ya but thats different. You lent them out, so atleast you have some humble satisfaction.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #1,098 of 4,469

Quote:
... to me, with the tips I am using, the DBAs are airy, wide and plenty of weight. As for warmth, that to me is the real strength of the DBAs. They are dynamic, musical and involving, but never come off as brittle or too dry. At the same time, I would not call them warm (that is something I would reserve for a phone like the Westone UM1 or something along those lines).

Anyway, if you have a spare Ety tri-flange sitting around, give them a try. Or bolt on your UM56 tips. For me, the OEM tips were a mistake. But others, not at all.

These borrowed DBA-02 came without any tips, so I used Westone single flange silicone on the DBA-02 and W2 for the comparison.  I haven't had time to try out any other tips, but these seem to work just fine.  Triple flange make my ears itch.

Again, I feel that they are very similar to the W2, but the W2 are slightly warmer and fuller sounding without giving up any air, soundstage or ambience.  I find very little to fault with the DBA-02, and they are a very well done IEM.  I'm going to compare them my Triple.fi 10vi Pro, but from memory I'm thinking the DBA-02 are more transparent with better mids, although less bass impact.

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #1,100 of 4,469
that just happened to me but on another post. I guess system glitched or somthing

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #1,101 of 4,469
Fair enough. I only mentioned the triples because they really brought out the best in the DBAs for me. Your UM56s will fit them too. Might be worth a try.

Quote:
These borrowed DBA-02 came without any tips, so I used Westone single flange silicone on the DBA-02 and W2 for the comparison.  I haven't had time to try out any other tips, but these seem to work just fine.  Triple flange make my ears itch.

Again, I feel that they are very similar to the W2, but the W2 are slightly warmer and fuller sounding without giving up any air, soundstage or ambience.  I find very little to fault with the DBA-02, and they are a very well done IEM.  I'm going to compare them my Triple.fi 10vi Pro, but from memory I'm thinking the DBA-02 are more transparent with better mids, although less bass impact.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #1,102 of 4,469

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #1,103 of 4,469
Anyone out there try out those sensorcom double flange tips with the DBA-02? Unfortunately I got my hands on a pair of those tips when I sold them but I have tried them with the W2 and W3. They really do open up the sound for me. Too bad I didn't get to try them with the DBA-02. I might have just kept them if it solved the irritated ear issue I had. They are similar to the shure/westone triple flange tips except they have a larger opening and are softer.

http://www.sensorcom.com/product.asp?P_ID=1142&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=tips&numPageStartPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #1,104 of 4,469
Your situation sounds like mine :) I got a pair of those tips a day or two after sending mine out for loan. Oh the irony..I suspect they will work fine but I won't know for a couple weeks.

@ethan: it's too bad triple flanges doesn't work on  you. I guess this is the benefit of having an Etymotic being your first earphone since triple flange tips do not scare my ears. You do have tips that you like so I'm not going to feel too bad for you but I think triple flange tips work great. I kinda wish I had a pair of UM56 but no way I'm paying very close to the cost of this earphone or even more just for 1 pair. If these were the larger size nozzle then maybe that would change my mind.

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #1,106 of 4,469
That is true. I think with any earphone that suits your signature you have some sort of regret when selling them assuming these are your preferred signature. I had regret selling my CK10 the second after I gave it to the new owner. I can tell you that the DBA-02 aren't going anywhere in the near future esp since I'm pretty content with universals now.

Jul 27, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #1,107 of 4,469

Quote:
Your situation sounds like mine :) I got a pair of those tips a day or two after sending mine out for loan. Oh the irony..I suspect they will work fine but I won't know for a couple weeks.

@ethan: it's too bad triple flanges doesn't work on  you. I guess this is the benefit of having an Etymotic being your first earphone since triple flange tips do not scare my ears. You do have tips that you like so I'm not going to feel too bad for you but I think triple flange tips work great. I kinda wish I had a pair of UM56 but no way I'm paying very close to the cost of this earphone or even more just for 1 pair. If these were the larger size nozzle then maybe that would change my mind.

Quote:
That is true. I think with any earphone that suits your signature you have some sort of regret when selling them assuming these are your preferred signature. I had regret selling my CK10 the second after I gave it to the new owner. I can tell you that the DBA-02 aren't going anywhere in the near future esp since I'm pretty content with universals now.

Well, I am heading over to Westone on Thursday to pick up my new ES5 custom IEM (will do a review), and I'll let Doug (p0wderh0und23) listen to them along with the W2 and see what he thinks.  I'll also try my UM56 tips.  Then I should be mailing the DBA-02 back to you by Friday.  Thanks!

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #1,108 of 4,469
So after all the tip discussion, I went back and tried all three sizes of the FA oem tips, none sounded good to me, and the mediums and smalls sounded harsh. The larges hardly fit in my ears, no seal.

I tried some foamies, but not so good. I did have some success SQ-wise with the Ety gliders that came with my MC5s, in fact very nice combo, impeccable iso. Unfortunately, my ears are different "sizes" so the left one worked well but the right one kept sliding out.

Anyway, back to the Ety triples, enough experimenting.

Jul 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #1,109 of 4,469
unlike other iems It doesnt seem like people are using other tips beside from the triple flanges and the stocks. Are shure olives and other foams not work to well with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back