Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jul 14, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #992 of 4,469

Quote:

BTW ClieOS, since you've tested out a lot of 'phones, I was wondering if you've tried Panasonic's RP-HJE900. If you have, can you give a comparison of the RP-HJE900 and the DBA-02? For that matter, if anyone has them both, or have tried them both, please feel free to offer your input.

I had the same question, which h20buzz answered very nicely back in post #563. I won't try to summarize.

I am VERY satisfied with the DBA's and am now considering how I'd like to back them up - a second set of DBA-02's, HJE900's (with Comply tips as h20buzz recommends), or something like the recent Hippo Shroom EB's for much less.

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #993 of 4,469
Didn't mean to cause confusion. When I say musical, I mean they make me want to listen the more I have them in my ears. Very subjective. If you read LFF's original review, he hits it. As for bass clarity, I listen to jazz as well, and haven't detected any blurriness in the bass lines, but I have no K701s either (I do have SR80s, but they are my only full-size phones). 

Quote:
Mainly what made me interested in the CK10s is when someone says it has a more "clear" bass than the DBAs.  I listen to jazz and classical primarily, and hearing exactly what is happening in the lower spectrum is important.  So is having well done cymbals and highhats...I really like how the RE0s handle them.   

However, I've A/B'd the RE0s with my K701s and noticed that there's a "blur of notes" on some tracks (with the upright bass) that I can hear crystal clear with the K701s.  If the DBAs are more along the lines of my K701s then I'll be happy.. 

When you say "more bass" - is it a clear bass?  And does "more musical" mean less analytical?  

Everything is so confusing!    

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #994 of 4,469

Quote:
I had the same question, which h20buzz answered very nicely back in post #563. I won't try to summarize.

I am VERY satisfied with the DBA's and am now considering how I'd like to back them up - a second set of DBA-02's, HJE900's (with Comply tips as h20buzz recommends), or something like the recent Hippo Shroom EB's for much less.

dfrost, thanks very much for pointing me back to that post. If you can believe it, I did actually read all 900+ post in here prior to my first post but I'll admit I don't remember the contents of every post.
bigsmile_face.gif
I just re-read that post again. Sounds very reassuring to me. I'm seriously considering getting the Panasonic. They're less expensive. Panasonic has a huge--at least compared to F.A.-- presence in the US. And the merchant--most likely J&R--is one with whom I've previously dealt and has them in stock. It would for me personally be a much less risky purchase. 

And I really like the user-replaceable cable of the Panasonic.

I still have some time to decide as no one has the DBA-02's in stock yet.
smile.gif

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #995 of 4,469

Quote:
Having owned both (I paid $199 for the CK10s) I would rather have the DBAs, mainly because they do deliver a little more bass and also are much more comfortable for me. Main reason I sold the CK10s was a comfort issue. Oddly, the CK10s with the triple flanges were not comfy, but the DBAs are. Go figure. I also have the option to use my UM56 custom sleeves with the DBAs, which I do on occasion.

No doubt the CK10s are built better than the DBAs, but given the choice, which I did have, I chose the DBAs. I would not call the CK10s a step up, but that's my view. The DBAs are more musical to me than the CK10s. Joker may feel differently, because he has both the CK10s and the DBAs (borrowed a pair for review purposes).

Edit - I'm done.  I've decided just to keep the DBA order, I'm sure I'll be more than happy with them.  If anyone sees me asking for further advice in this thread about the CK10s, ignore me, as my will power is pretty weak.   

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #996 of 4,469
I really believe you will be getting the most for your dollar, and both sellers will honor the warranty. So far, so good with my initial pair. No problems in terms of durability, and certainly none in terms of SQ. Again, I had to use different tips, but I got there.

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #997 of 4,469
@David: I think that's a wise choice. As much as I love the CK10 the DBA02 is probably the safer purchase since it doesn't have that peak that can make people hate or love the CK10 if you don't EQ them. The DBA02 also sound very good at not much damage to your wallet.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #999 of 4,469
When you have bought things at like $300 (e-Q7) and then something at $160 it's not so bad :) I bet buying these will be better than buying that HF2 you have in terms of price

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #1,000 of 4,469

Quote:
When you have bought things at like $300 (e-Q7) and then something at $160 it's not so bad :) I bet buying these will be better than buying that HF2 you have in terms of price

Or when you buy something worth $1,000+ and then something worth $160....it's not that bad. Oh the sacrifices we make to inform you guys.
wink_face.gif

The DBA-02 just kicks serious butt!

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #1,001 of 4,469

Quote:

Quote:
Or when you buy something worth $1,000+ and then something worth $160....it's not that bad. Oh the sacrifices we make to inform you guys.
wink_face.gif

The DBA-02 just kicks serious butt!

Crap, I've been caught!!!  Haha, so true.  Joking aside, I will admit the the HF-2 were very much an impulse buy and I do not regret them.  While I am also split between on the return of the HF2 to the market, I will not whine and moan that being an exclusive headphone was part of my reason on buying the HF2 and the HF2 should not be available.  As well as other justifications *cough* I don't have lots of headphones *cough* I do have quite of bit of IEMs *cough* I have some on sale *cough*.  Shallow sounding that may be it is a bit difficult to fight off the upgrade virus that tends to plague headfi members, as we all try to find that "all so perfect" IEMs or headphones for the best possible price for self-justification haha.

No doubt I would be satisfied with the eQ7 or the DBA-02, it's the deciding part what to choose that is difficult haha.

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #1,002 of 4,469
^
The DBA02 tempted me too much when LFF posted his review here when I still had the e-Q7 and CK10 lol. It's not the decision that's difficult. Deciding is very easy :) It's not getting tempted by the newest toy that's out there in the market that's the hard part but the money I spent on the DBA02 was definitely well worth it and I have no regrets.

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #1,003 of 4,469

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #1,004 of 4,469
I don't think too many people look at post number unless looking for something specific :p I'm hoping to get my DBA02 back in the next week or two. My friend like them too much and I won't get it back sooner :p Thankfully for me I should get a call to pay for my remolded customs soon and have my e-Q7 as well.

Just curious but did you ever find your DBA02..it would be unfortunately to have lost them

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #1,005 of 4,469

Users who are viewing this thread

Back