Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jul 14, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #976 of 4,469
Quote:
Good news. My problem on TREOO has finally been resolved. Because it was their mistake, they offered a refund on the headphone excluding the huge 100 SGD tax i paid and shipping charges. What does that mean? It means i get to keep the dba's for free. I feel very relieved on their effort to solve this problem and will look forward to buying more from them in the future. They have excellent customer service and i am very pleased with their fast communication

Good job on Treoo's part to to step up and fix the issue. I guess this also indirectly answered NeedBalanceCtr's doubt about FA's dealers.

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #977 of 4,469

Quote:
Quote:
Good job on Treoo's part to to step up and fix the issue. I guess this also indirectly answered NeedBalanceCtr's doubt about FA's dealers.

If this was what factually transpired, then yes, Treoo really stepped up. I would appreciate such customer service.

BTW ClieOS, since you've tested out a lot of 'phones, I was wondering if you've tried Panasonic's RP-HJE900. If you have, can you give a comparison of the RP-HJE900 and the DBA-02? For that matter, if anyone has them both, or have tried them both, please feel free to offer your input.

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #978 of 4,469
HJE900 isn't sold in the region, so I haven't tried it before.

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #979 of 4,469

Quote:
If you enjoy the RE0 type sound then the DBA02 is a more natural progression than the e-Q7 is. The housing is also much smaller and comfort is top notch so I suspect smaller ears would not have as much of an issue with the e-Q7. I think the DBA02 is a great choice and it doesn't cost as much as the e-Q7 if budget is a concern. $160 is definitely easier on the wallet than $300. If you do get them I would invest in some tips since I did not care for the stock ones. I settled for triple flange tips by Shure but those are the only other smaller nozzle tips in my collection so I didn't have much choice :p

The only thing I don't like about the DBA02 is that their chin slider slides all the way down a lot so it isn't a very effective slider. I'll probably make my own eventually so that the chin slider actually works.

Haha, price vs enjoyment vs SQ, a never ending battle.  Putting eQ7 in perspective, there are a few eq7 being sold here on the forums for less than the asking retail price.  Price isn't a huge factor for myself, but any pennies help in saving for a new DAP (if I can find a suitable one).  Guess, I'll wait and see.

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #981 of 4,469

Quote:
Haha, price vs enjoyment vs SQ, a never ending battle.  Putting eQ7 in perspective, there are a few eq7 being sold here on the forums for less than the asking retail price.  Price isn't a huge factor for myself, but any pennies help in saving for a new DAP (if I can find a suitable one).  Guess, I'll wait and see.

That's why it is nice to have multiple earphones that you can enjoy. I like the e-Q7 and have owned them for a while and can still enjoy the DBA02 as well. I could live with either one by itself but it's better to have more than one if you can afford it. I don't know how much the e-Q7 is going for in the FS forums but probably around 100 or so more expensive than the DBA02 new and shipped not including customs fees if any. The mids are colored and a bit forward on the e-Q7 but still very enjoyable. Too bad you don't live in the same place as another head-fi member who has them both then you can hear for yourself and your decision would be much easier :)

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #982 of 4,469

Quote:

That's why it is nice to have multiple earphones that you can enjoy. I like the e-Q7 and have owned them for a while and can still enjoy the DBA02 as well. I could live with either one by itself but it's better to have more than one if you can afford it. I don't know how much the e-Q7 is going for in the FS forums but probably around 100 or so more expensive than the DBA02 new and shipped not including customs fees if any. The mids are colored and a bit forward on the e-Q7 but still very enjoyable. Too bad you don't live in the same place as another head-fi member who has them both then you can hear for yourself and your decision would be much easier :)

haha, yeah it would be nicer to have a bigger headfi group here in Winnipeg.  Though we had a meet, it seems as if I am the only one that enjoys having IEMs, everyone else brought full sized.

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #983 of 4,469
Just an update, db audiobase informs me they should be able to start shipping on the 25th of this month.

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #984 of 4,469
Ugh, I've been wondering would it be worth it to cancel the order and go with the CK10s.  I'm really after neutrality and detail, and want something very analytical.  Are the CK10s a step up from the DBA-02s in terms of clarity and analytical-ness?  

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #985 of 4,469
Hahaha David, why not just wait? I agree it is a long lead time but if you can do without the money and can listen to music then just forget about them. When they turn up it will be like christmas. This is a test of patience.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #986 of 4,469
I have no problem with waiting.  It's just,..If you're going to spend the money, and there's another iem for a little bit more (well $100) that might do a little bit more of what you're after (analytical, detail oriented)...what do you do!!??

I really wish I could hear both and decide if it's worth spending the extra then.  I just like the words "built like a tank" and "very analytical"...if they're more detail oriented, and analytical, then I don't mind spending the extra on them.  And I would rather do it now instead of having to send items back and take them away from someone else...

Just a thought at this point. 

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #987 of 4,469
Having owned both (I paid $199 for the CK10s) I would rather have the DBAs, mainly because they do deliver a little more bass and also are much more comfortable for me. Main reason I sold the CK10s was a comfort issue. Oddly, the CK10s with the triple flanges were not comfy, but the DBAs are. Go figure. I also have the option to use my UM56 custom sleeves with the DBAs, which I do on occasion.

No doubt the CK10s are built better than the DBAs, but given the choice, which I did have, I chose the DBAs. I would not call the CK10s a step up, but that's my view. The DBAs are more musical to me than the CK10s. Joker may feel differently, because he has both the CK10s and the DBAs (borrowed a pair for review purposes).

Quote:
Ugh, I've been wondering would it be worth it to cancel the order and go with the CK10s.  I'm really after neutrality and detail, and want something very analytical.  Are the CK10s a step up from the DBA-02s in terms of clarity and analytical-ness?  

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #988 of 4,469
Joker is the only one right now who has both. I did have the CK10 and the DBA02 overlap in ownership by a couple days however. Clarity wise I consider the CK10 the earphone with the most clarity I have heard and they are still #1 to me after owning the DBA02. Both are analytical. I don't know what a step up in that means.

The CK10 is built better so there is no comparison there. It will take some serious effort to break the CK10. I find both comfortable with the CK10 with hybrids edging out the DBA02 with triple flange tips. WIth both having triple flange tips the DBA02 would win by a very small margin.

The DBA02 does have a bit more bass and lacks that upper mid spike that the CK10 has. Other than that I can't say much since I no longer have the CK10 so someone like joker would be able to compare better when he starts and completes his review of the DBA02.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #989 of 4,469

Quote:
I am very interested in the DBA's. But the strait plug is a deal breaker.
I'm sure there are pro's to a straight plug, but I can't think of any.
Can anyone fill me in why phones have straight plugs.

You could get a right-angle adapter from several sources, including this one from the earphone super store. The DBA straight plug seems to be less of a problem to me because the cables are very flexible.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #990 of 4,469
Mainly what made me interested in the CK10s is when someone says it has a more "clear" bass than the DBAs.  I listen to jazz and classical primarily, and hearing exactly what is happening in the lower spectrum is important.  So is having well done cymbals and highhats...I really like how the RE0s handle them.   

However, I've A/B'd the RE0s with my K701s and noticed that there's a "blur of notes" on some tracks (with the upright bass) that I can hear crystal clear with the K701s.  If the DBAs are more along the lines of my K701s then I'll be happy.. 

When you say "more bass" - is it a clear bass?  And does "more musical" mean less analytical?  

Everything is so confusing!    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back