[Review] Earsonics SM3 - 2010's Star Child
Jun 25, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #46 of 75

Quote:
Now that's a comparison I'll look forward to since the UM3X is pretty much the competition.

Indeed 
smile_phones.gif
 I'm debating between these two now heavily. UM3X has the edge right now since it's so much cheaper being heavily distributed in the US. Unfortunate that EarSonics has no US resellers, hopefully that'll change soon, I just requested Sound Earphones to try and get the SM3 in stock.

Jun 27, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #47 of 75
That would be great if distributors like Sound Earphones or SoundCAT had stock to sell, especially as potential customer could come and hear something decidedly continental rather than colonial. All audiophiles I know here think customs and professional monitors are only an American thing, though FitEar (suyama) are picking up steam recently thanks to possibly (who knows) getting these things FitEar Private series sold internationally.

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #48 of 75
shigzeo, I have a question I have been wondering. I remember you saying a while back that any well made custom should surpass the level of universals and you mentioned that your Sleek Audio CT6 was superior to all the universal iem's that you have heard. Is that still valid after having listened to the SM3 for the last couple months?

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #49 of 75
The Sleek CT6 is superior and will continue to be superior in a few key areas, but not in all. The key areas are: perfect seal, great bass and treble echo (thanks to the hard acrylic shell), and more realistic stage. 

That said, the CT6 with BASS + is outclassed by the SM3 in terms of effort. The SM3 is effortless, the CT6 stretches itself and ends up with bloom in the bottom end.

When I bought them, they were 300$ and at that price, they stand head and shoulders above every universal in key areas, but lost out to good universals in bass bloom. If I did it again, I'd get the CT6 in normal configuration. Great customs, great price, but the bottom end shouldn't be forced. Now at 350$, they are near the price of a lot of great universals and still keep the edge where customs keep edges, but the SM3 is more natural.

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #50 of 75
^Now they are actually $400 + the cost of impressions. So sadly it's not as good a deal anymore. I'm not sure if costs just went up, or if it's an artificial increase to compete with the UE4 and JH5 though. Personally, I think that if you're going to get a custom, you may as well wait for the black friday deal. Then you'll actually be getting closer to your money's worth.

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #51 of 75
Thanks shigzeo. That definitely put things into a bit more perspective although I've never heard the CT6.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #52 of 75

Quote:
^Now they are actually $400 + the cost of impressions. So sadly it's not as good a deal anymore. I'm not sure if costs just went up, or if it's an artificial increase to compete with the UE4 and JH5 though. Personally, I think that if you're going to get a custom, you may as well wait for the black friday deal. Then you'll actually be getting closer to your money's worth.

I think they are still the same price they have always been.  $288 Euros.  Perhaps your cart is showing the VAT added on that you wouldn't pay if purchasing outside France?

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #54 of 75
Jun 28, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #55 of 75
My bad too. I bought mine at 350$ then, I guess. I don't keep paperwork around though... shame that. I thought mine was 300$ - I'll have to check my credit card thingie. 

In any case, at the moment I bought, they were the cheapest reliable custom on the market from a company who also made universals. They are still a good custom, but in light of other good options around that price, you can't go wrong with universals. The CT6 is great stacked against expensive customs as it is made as well or better, has good graphic quality, and sounds good. But it isn't in the same league as the EM3Pro, for instance.

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #56 of 75
I wonder how would the SM3 using custom tips compare to the CT6...

By the way Shigzeo, how good is the synergy of Ibasso T3D and the SM3, compared to some other amps you have? I know this might be hard to answer but I have been pondering whether to get the T3D or some other amps...

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #58 of 75
shigzeo I see you are being flooded with questions...So I give you another one :)

Do you still have the Radius DDM, or access to them? I remember you saying you have returned them to their owner.

I received my SM3 today. And I am undergoing the burn in process for the second time, which also means dissappointment out of box. I couldn't believe these was the phones I enjoyed so much during the last few months, before I sent them in twice for repair (which took a good whole month + 3 days).

I was listening to the SM3 while digging out the Radius DDM, thinking of lending them to a friend of mine who has borrowed my IE8 and loving them. Then I swapped from SM3 to DDM. There is the clarity which doesn't exist in SM3. There is the better instrument separation which I couldn't believe.

I know I need some serious brain and driver burn in before making any conclusion. I am just wondering what you think of SM3's clarity compared to DDM?

By the way I am using bi-flange stock tips. Franck sent my custom tips in another parcel and I haven't received them.

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #60 of 75
That is odd, KLS!
Maybe you are hearing them the way I do right now? Really strange... So you think there is some kind of burn-in process going on or it it more the ears getting accustomed to the sound sig?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back