[Review] Earsonics SM3 - 2010's Star Child
Jun 25, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #31 of 75

Quote:
Even though I do not have the Ck-10, I won't say that the FX is dark. In fact, it is pretty bright sounding to me. To me, the treble is even grainier and brighter than the smooth treble on Etymotic.

FX700 grainier and brighter than the Ety's treble?!  I'm feeling more and more comfortable saving up my money these recent few days... 

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #32 of 75
Ety's smooth and neutral. FX's is more colored, and due to its wooden driver it's grainier. Not necessarily brighter all the time, but certain frequencies are more prominent on the FX.

Hard to put it into words, perhaps after you hear it then you will get what I mean. And regarding FX and SM3, I'd definitely say that the FX is brighter.

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #34 of 75

Quote:
The DDM are great earphones, but they aren't usable in the same way. In fact, I'd hesitate to really compare them on anything but sound basis. I tend to get earphones based on pragmatic need and the DDM, while phenomenal sounding, don't fulfil that need: they are fiddly and I can't use them whilst exercising (or that well even whilst relaxing).

The SM3 are supremely comfortable, enough so that I can sleep with them in (I don't recommend it though). They rock completely. The only thing I'd change is their housing. 

Earsonics, you could stomp all over the professional earphone market if you only had a better housing.

shigzeo, I regard no reason to compare $170 dollar (DDMs) with $360 dollars SM3.  We are talking about two distant price range categories.
Some day we shall see IEM such as Radius DDM but with better fit/ergonomics and look and perhaps then we can put them side to side.
No, it simply ain't the case for now.

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #35 of 75
koonhua90, I have just read joe's impressions on EM3Pro. Seems promising :)

From what I read in james' FX700 thread, you like smaller tips on FX700. Are you still using small tips on them?

I am using some Sennheiser medium tips which give good seal. So I think we are not hearing the FX700 the same because of different tips. By the way my FX700 hasn't reach 100 hours of burn-in/actual use.

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #36 of 75

Quote:
koonhua90, I have just read joe's impressions on EM3Pro. Seems promising :)

From what I read in james' FX700 thread, you like smaller tips on FX700. Are you still using small tips on them?

I am using some Sennheiser medium tips which give good seal. So I think we are not hearing the FX700 the same because of different tips. By the way my FX700 hasn't reach 100 hours of burn-in/actual use.

I don't know how many hundred hours I have had on mine, due to all the sleepless night studying. I changed from the small tips to some double flange that came with my fake IE8. Small tip with huge nozzle. Gave me the sound I like the most.

Recently I listen to SM3 more since I need the isolation. I'd imagine after getting the custom tip it will change the sound somehow. When it's fall, I might get back to the FX more, or perhaps by then I will end up with some other earphones. Only the X-jays and se535 spark my interest so far. I promise myself, only to get custom earphones after I work. So now I can only see, eg the EM3Pro etc, but not touch.

You live in Japan don't you? Congrats for the 3-1 against Denmark 
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #37 of 75
It was luck for Japan ^^; I slept in the class today...How many times did my professor yawn during the class?

Sorry shigzeo for derailing this thread. I will chime in again after I have my SM3 back. Hopefully next week.

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #38 of 75

Quote:
It was luck for Japan ^^; I slept in the class today...How many times did my professor yawn during the class?

Sorry shigzeo for derailing this thread. I will chime in again after I have my SM3 back. Hopefully next week.

If I sleep in my class with only 4 students, I will get whacked by my Japanese sensei!

Honda makes good car, and they also make good football player 
biggrin.gif
 Anyway, I feel that it was more of skill than luck. Two goals from two free kicks without any heading whatsoever. It was just beautiful.

What you gonna do if your SM3 breaks the third time? Joe said, third time is the charm, it's high time you make a custom, don't you think?

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #39 of 75
Those free kicks were awesome :)

If they really broke for the third time, then I think the problem lies within me but not EarSonics...Since nobody else is suffering from the build quality issue other than poor ericp10 and me, I start to blame myself for my Tai Chi-like treatment to my phones.

However like what I have posted in the SM3 appreciation thread, I suspect my custom tips was not properly made which could be the cause of the tragedy happened on me.

If they really broke again, I will ask Franck if he is willing to upgrade my SM3 to EM3Pro...

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #40 of 75
I enjoyed your review shigzeo. Just how laid back is the SM3 treble? Is it as laid back as the SE530, which I regard as slightly "rolled-off"?

Like you, I tend to think that people can mistake tipped-up treble for increased detail and also clarity, if the mid-range is recessed.

Jun 25, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #41 of 75

Quote:
I enjoyed your review shigzeo. Just how laid back is the SM3 treble? Is it as laid back as the SE530, which I regard as slightly "rolled-off"?

Like you, I tend to think that people can mistake tipped-up treble for increased detail and also clarity, if the mid-range is recessed.

I don't feel like the treble is at all missing on the SM3, but then I'm not a treble-head by any stretch.

Jun 25, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #42 of 75

Quote:

Pretty much 99% of 530 listeners that have the SM3 say the treble is better.  Headroom needs to build an SM3 graph.

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #45 of 75
Now that's a comparison I'll look forward to since the UM3X is pretty much the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back