[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Dec 15, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #32 of 1,750
One person is as low as you can get for anecdotal evidence. We'll all be waiting for someone to have HM5s measured, perhaps by someone who knows how like Tyll.

I actually have a couple of WM-61A mic capsules that are suitable for measuring headphones's FR, but I don't know how to set up a cheap recording rig that will do a decent job. I don't know the frequency response of my microphone input jacks either. I briefly tried it with RMAA a while back but the results didn't look too great, mostly because I couldn't the distance right or a good "seal".

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #34 of 1,750
I'm pretty certain that they wouldn't release any graphs. Brainwavz products are designed by mp4nation, if not rebranded.

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #39 of 1,750
I don't have my HM5s yet, but I think I like the fact that they include a short and a long cable and they are cheaper than FA-003. As beautiful as HM5s look, I do like FA-003's new design a tad better. In terms of shipping gd-audiobase is a nightmare from what I heard, frogbeat is out of stock on the 003 otherwise its 2-3 day shipping is nice. I have no idea about the Lindy's, they may be easier to obtain if you're in the UK.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #40 of 1,750
That chart sounds similar to what I hear from the Hm5, but this is not me claiming they are the same as the FA-003. I will never make that claim myself until there is concrete proof. What I will say is that the Hm5 are an incredible value.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #41 of 1,750
Well mine are shipped, now I just have to wait and see if they make it here bfore New Years or not. I suspect first week of January at the earliest
triportsad.gif

Anyway setting aside the whole re-badge question I do wonder if the velour pads from the FA-003 will fit. If so that might be an interesting option if they can be bought separately.

I hope these live up to the hype. But having reviewed the HM3 which I think are a not bad budget portable (a bit to bassy and V shaped for me but pretty nice sound stage). I do think these will be more than just the hype.

My only concern is that I have a pair of Etymotic HF3's that my brain has fallen in love with which may make anything less intimate and detailed unappealing. But if these hit the sweet spot in all the areas I have seen reviewed I suspect they will present a different but equally compelling listen which would be perfect.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #42 of 1,750

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyway setting aside the whole re-badge question I do wonder if the velour pads from the FA-003 will fit. If so that might be an interesting option if they can be bought separately.

HM5 and FA-003 have identical housing as confirmed by what's written inside the cups.

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #44 of 1,750
To be blunt I could care less if they are a re-badge. I like MP4Nation stuff and so long as manufacturers allow their stuff to be sold under different brand names, if it gives a price break to the consumer or at least options then it's all good. It's much preffered to the counterfeit market.

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #45 of 1,750
The most important thing is that they sound good (by good, I just want them to blow me away like Creative Aurvana Live! did when I first put them on). At this price point ($140 retail), I'd expect nothing short of eargasmic near-perfection. These are Brainwavz's flagship for crying out loud!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back