[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Jun 23, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #886 of 7,021
Quote:
biggrin.gif

I like to do what I can for the community.

I want a Mac mini sever just for having a server but it would be overkill for just music, no?

I was just saying that it sucks that you can't use portable gear truly portably, so I like what they can do enough for now.

not an overkill but a great sounding machine allowing my DAC sing, i love Mini for what it does to music and no silly driver software problems like Windows, Audirvana Plus and Pure Music do it all for me. Mac is connected to Samsung LCD TV via home theater setup while DAC goes into front end rig :D

but for typing in forum i use iMac or iPad (if i am too lazy to get up my butt :)

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #887 of 7,021
Quote:

Of course not, I'm just against you essentially invalidating Idsync's impressions because his sources were apparently not good enough.

Eke, the reason i asked about sources was simple. I have 1+2 and my impression is totally opposite. more so I find many owners of 1+2 portray them close to what i hear.
this was exactly the reason.

this not to suggest his source is bad, i very well assume that might be synergy for which i am crazy with all my gear. that is why i would not pair H200 with my RWAK and 1+2 with C3 :-D

in any case i was simply too much surprised to pass on this.

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #888 of 7,021
Quote:

Eke, the reason i asked about sources was simple. I have 1+2 and my impression is totally opposite. more so I find many owners of 1+2 portray them close to what i hear.
this was exactly the reason.

this not to suggest his source is bad, i very well assume that might be synergy for which i am crazy with all my gear. that is why i would not pair H200 with my RWAK and 1+2 with C3 :-D

in any case i was simply too much surprised to pass on this.

Which is fine. I don't think you're actually hearing anything differently from Idsync. The difference is that you both value different things in listening. You said you want to hear every parting of lips etc, while Idsync values timbre, ambience, realism, etc. Heck, me and SF listened to the very same 1P2 and ASG-2, and came to equal but different conclusions.

The key to thriving in this hobby is to realize that everyone who gives impressions will have preferences that tip the scales in one way or another.

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #889 of 7,021
:D
I like to do what I can for the community.

I want a Mac mini sever just for having a server but it would be overkill for just music, no?

I was just saying that it sucks that you can't use portable gear truly portably, so I like what they can do enough for now.

I had an Asus RT-N65U with a NAS function, 4TB's attached I believe. Purchased the storage before the flood that made HD prices rise. Had a good collection of anime, movies, and music before I got rid of it all(minus my music). Really liked that router.... *sniff

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #890 of 7,021
Eke, no no no... Not exactly. I want to hear seamless instrument presentation which allows to extend musical contour and blend this into perfect harmony. This is me only and my taste is not what others may want but i hate any gear which is overimposing details. That was the reason why i never could leave my Naim cdx2 or any Naim CDP because for me Naim hit the nail on the head how to move digital closer to analogue. And i tried many famous CDP like detail monster Cyrus 8, endless Meridians, Leema, not mention heavy moded Lua Cantilenna with premium tubes, Lector Strumenti with separate power supply, Pathos Endorphin and some others. No matter i came back to Naim and stick to it. I was more lucky with DACs since I finally picked Metrum Octave which overall i find amazing despite my Rega DAC can be sometimes more tonally full sounding but Metrum sounds so easy analogue like without any sign of digital which Rega can develop with some material. And my vinyl addiction comes from Fisher Studio Standard rig made back in 80s and featuring two full spectrum EQ plus one parametric EQ.

This is why i may hear some things differently. I do not mention my addiction for tubes and reverbs we used on stage.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #891 of 7,021
Which is fine. I don't think you're actually hearing anything differently from Idsync. The difference is that you both value different things in listening. You said you want to hear every parting of lips etc, while Idsync values timbre, ambience, realism, etc. Heck, me and SF listened to the very same 1P2 and ASG-2, and came to equal but different conclusions.

The key to thriving in this hobby is to realize that everyone who gives impressions will have preferences that tip the scales in one way or another.

Exactly. If people are using different standards as their reference, then there are too many variables for comparisons to be meaningful. It's just totally subjective at that point, and it doesn't really help anyone. In fact I think it can do more damage as it can mislead people into spending money on things that they won't enjoy.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #892 of 7,021
gnarl, yes and no. assume i am interested in asg2 and now also SD3 IEMs, the more i know about background comparison the better.
in the end for me more important is to understand if we hear things the same with the reviewer or commenter, because this helps me move on with purchase decision.

right now i feel more confused about ASG2 sonics because if i assume commenter was correct then ASG2 becomes not my cup of tea anymore.

one funny proposal i may have, take IEMs in question and listen to Doors albums or Creedence albums, then spin some good old blues and then come to some complex jazz, after this put Beethoven Symphony 9 .... If you were able to listen to all of this without much interruption then perhaps IEMs are worth, of not then not :)

but seriously you may not be able to listen to complete Doors or Creedence album if your IEM or source is not sonically up to, nothing bad but just an observation.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #893 of 7,021
gnarl, yes and no. assume i am interested in asg2 and now also SD3 IEMs, the more i know about background comparison the better.
in the end for me more important is to understand if we hear things the same with the reviewer or commenter, because this helps me move on with purchase decision.

right now i feel more confused about ASG2 sonics because if i assume commenter was correct then ASG2 becomes not my cup of tea anymore.

one funny proposal i may have, take IEMs in question and listen to Doors albums or Creedence albums, then spin some good old blues and then come to some complex jazz, after this put Beethoven Symphony 9 .... If you were able to listen to all of this without much interruption then perhaps IEMs are worth, of not then not :)

but seriously you may not be able to listen to complete Doors or Creedence album if your IEM or source is not sonically up to, nothing bad but just an observation.

I'm saying it makes no sense to use an experience at a particular concert hall from a particular seat as a reference. Concert acoustics will always be different, as will seating acoustics.

What helps people is to compare two iems somewhat objectively using FR, decay, attack etc. One can also use set standards like diffuse field or olive-welti because those are known standards that are set under controlled conditions. Comparison against them makes sense because the standard is largely the same for everyone. Using a random brand of tower speakers or a concert for comparison isn't helpful because these things are different for everyone.

I say this because I think these methods can help us improve our communication and avoid arguments that don't need to exist in the first place. Imagine it: if we all did this all conversations here would be positive and productive all the time!

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #894 of 7,021
Quote:

Then again, some of us wouldn't be able to listen to complete Doors or Creedence albums and it would have nothing to do with our IEM's!
LOL! 
beerchug.gif
  I jest... no hard feelings.
smile.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #895 of 7,021
Gnarls, perfectly agree on this, common denominators help :)

Carlsan ... i just did not think about this ... LMAO :-D

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #896 of 7,021
Quote:
I'm saying it makes no sense to use an experience at a particular concert hall from a particular seat as a reference. Concert acoustics will always be different, as will seating acoustics.

What helps people is to compare two iems somewhat objectively using FR, decay, attack etc. One can also use set standards like diffuse field or olive-welti because those are known standards that are set under controlled conditions. Comparison against them makes sense because the standard is largely the same for everyone. Using a random brand of tower speakers or a concert for comparison isn't helpful because these things are different for everyone.

I say this because I think these methods can help us improve our communication and avoid arguments that don't need to exist in the first place. Imagine it: if we all did this all conversations here would be positive and productive all the time!

Really there needs to be a balance. Describing the objective sound as much as possible, and then how it sounds to you. Really not everyone has access to FR graphs and they aren't always reliable or indicative of sound. You can be objective up to a certain point in a review. Reviews are always a bit subjective because everyone has different standards they apply. As much as I think that the 1+2 sounds amazing, it's practical uses for portable with stock cable is nil to me. That would bode poorly for me in a review. Also they are very sonically comparable out of my sources to a headphone that is half their price or a bit less than that. 

There is no such thing as a 100% objective review, if it is, it is just rattling off technical measurable specs, and that isn't a review imho. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #897 of 7,021

If not a bit dry. :wink: :p

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #898 of 7,021
Quote:

Then again, some of us wouldn't be able to listen to complete Doors or Creedence albums and it would have nothing to do with our IEM's!
LOL! 
beerchug.gif
  I jest... no hard feelings.
smile.gif

OK, how about Springsteen? lol
etysmile.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #899 of 7,021
I just got a tracking number for the updated 1Plus2 with the upgrade silver&gold cable. It should arrive by the end of the week.

Is there anyone in the States who would be willing to loan me a higher quality source so I can make a more accurate comparison for Gintaras?

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #900 of 7,021
^Step aside gentlemen... I got this.

Behold the crème de la crème of music fidelity!

I will only be using my iPhone 4 so your review was very helpful to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back