[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Sep 15, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #3,511 of 7,021
If you guys mean lower treble, ie around 4.5k, then yea, that's the sound. And the bass does have a lot of weight to it. Do either of you know where the bass port was set to on the demo units you tried by any chance?

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #3,512 of 7,021
If I'm not mistaken, the demo units at the store opens the bass port by a bit (1 out of the 4 notch).

I had the chance to try a fellow Head-Fi'er's ASG-2 at the recent Singapore Head-Fi Meet almost immediately after trying the TG! 334 of another attendee. The ASG-2 had it bass port opened just 0.3 - 0.5 out of the first notch and both IEMs were driven by my AK120 on the same songs.

Immediately, I could feel the ASG-2's mids being more forward (in-your-face) than the TG! 334, and it was very clean (reminiscent of the W4R). On the other hand, TG! 334's mids was slightly sweeter, with a bit of colouration, and not as forward, though still quite prominent in the entire frequency.

As for the bass, the ASG-2's bass felt a bit bloated and wasn't as clear or extended as the TG! 334, though it has a faster decay than the TG! 334. The highs on the ASG-2 were a bit rough and unrealistic on instruments such as the cymbals and it wasn't as extended as the TG! 334. The TG! 334 has a more laid-back presentation in terms of highs, but it still had some liveliness (something like my Miracle's highs, just a bit more laid-back).

The separation on the ASG-2 was good; However, I think it wasn't as well presented due to it's imaging, as instruments felt like it was placed just to the left and right of the singer. The TG! 334 had a more accurate imaging with great separation, excellent layering and a tall soundstage.

If one were to say they are similar, I would only agree on the sound signature (good bass quantity, prominent mids, laid-back highs), but that is where the similarity ends. The TG! 334 excels in many others, but the ASG-2 does exceptionally well for it's price range.

The above impressions were made after demoing the ASG-2 at the local store, and at the Singapore Head-Fi Meet, where the environment and length of demo session isn't ideal for an accurate impression. In addition, what I hear may not reflect what others hear, therefore, please take my opinions with a bucket of salt. Thank you.

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #3,513 of 7,021

The ASG-2 I tried belongs to a nearby audio retail store, which carries a demo set. If the set is really faulty, It would definitely left a lot of bad impressions on the ASG-2.

I'm afraid not.
Sad to say that the 15-20 minutes I spent with them left not a favourable impression.

Hey Guys did you guys make sure to check if the bass port was set to the minimum ? Cuz I also have the ASG-2 With t200 Comply tips and apair of Shure Srh-1840 , which are known to be bass shy and when using it as a reference ( FYI i prefer the 1840s) and with the ASG-2 bass port set to the minimum 
And i dont get the same bloated bass you guys are getting ? From what i Know Retailers would set the bass port to the 2nd notch ( which is really quite high and unpleasant ) many users prefer to set the Bass port to 1.5 notches , which gives them a very nice strong bass but for me i set them both to the 0 notches as little bass as possible , even though at this setting they have a substantial amount of bass compared to the 1840s the sound is very clear , E.g listening to Macklemore 'Make the money' song ,his voice is very clear and the treble extensions are very sweet and thats with comply tips which are as we all know tones the treble down and boost the bass. Now im listening to Neon Cathedral and the SSSsss when he says Lives or closely  the S has a very nice realism to it.   Or on Lana del rays "lucky Ones " the begining of the song has the tambourine shacking and it had ver good presense and was not overshadowed by the bass at all . 

FYI , i Am testing this on a Zero Dac with Opa sun and second test on my AK100

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #3,514 of 7,021

Either that the set that I've tried has faulty drivers, or the treble region wasn't there at all. The bass far too much for me.

The 334 has clear bright highs, where as the demo ASG-2 set I've tried has treble so deep, I can't find myself in the dark.

The 334's highs are actually more laid back than the ASG-2's.

My thought also bro. When I tried a demo set which belongs to the local distributor back in May, the treble was almost non-existence and the bass was just to overpowering.
So when I tried another demo set at the local audio store set that you also tried recently and my finding remains the same, it struck me that maybe they are just tuned that way.

The amazing thing here is that the ASG-2's bass is actually tighter than the 334's with the bass port closed. The main difference between the two comes in the upper mids, where the ASG-2 is more laid back for a greater sense of space. As for the bass port, it's still funny to see people underestimating it when doing comparisons or listening. As I said in the main review:

Another significant difference from the ASG-1 is the bass emphasis. Whereas the ASG-1.2 was a sub-bass monster, the ASG-2 leans more toward mid-bass impact. With the bass port closed the low end is tight, very impactful, and exquisitely textured. It lends warmth to the sound without ever encroaching on the mids. However, the bass can take on a life of its own as you open the bass port. It can range from "In da club", all the way to "SOMEONE PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP THAT MADMAN!!" levels of impact and bloom. I personally keep the port closed so as to avoid waking that beast from its slumber. The mid-bass is almost too much for me, even with the port closed. I like bass, but I prefer it to remain below 60 hz as much as possible. It will definitely be too much for some.

As for the G2 vs the 334, I'll repost extensive A/B's, not from meet conditions

I spent the morning, using my new headphone/amp switcher, conducting extensive a/b comparisons of the ASG-2 and TG334. My findings were considerably different from Eke's.

Firstly I can agree that the G2 and TG334 share a similar frequency response in general. They both have strong bass presence with a forward midrange and gently downward sloping trouble; and they both present this sonic signature very well- both are engaging and a joy to listen to but I definitely hear significant differences, which affect the overall all feeling, emotion and tonality of presentation.

Both have very nice midranges but this is where I also find the most significant difference. The TG334 has noticeable more forward upper mids, which lend to a brighter overall signature with better transparency, smoother transients and wonderful delicacy in vocals. As a consequence the G2's mids sound not only much warmer but also have a rawness about them.  I don't hear the delicacy in the G2 but rather  a bluntness (in comparison). This may come across as less emotional or intimate in vocal performances but then lends to an aggressive rawness for rock, which I very much enjoy.

Paradoxically, even though the TG334 sounds brighter to me, the G2 has bit more treble presence. I really like the blend of the full range dynamic driver here, overlapped with the dual BA. Treble on the G2 has more weight and thus better timbral realism. The TG334 treble sounds slightly lighter (in comparison) and crisper. I really like the better articulation of the TG334 treble but would happily trade it for the tonality of the G2 treble.

The differences I hear in in the midrange and treble are born out in the various test tones I compared in my FreqGen app for the iPhone. The tones also showed very similar bass extension.  I find the G2's bass notes harder edged but both seem to have very similar decay. Surprisingly the treble extension was basically equal as well using this app, although they have different elevations: between 7.5 and 8k for the G2 and the TG334 has less variance on either side of that range, with maybe a small peak at 10k.

I look forward to doing this same comparison again, once my custom AS-2 returns, as I remember it having a few differences in presentation  and technicalities from the generic version. To tie back around to Eke's assessment, even though I hear them pretty different in mids and treble, I can consider them brothers from another mother- the G2 being the little brother of the TG334.

Comparisons

FitEar ToGo 334

Starting with Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah on the TG334 is simply haunting. The sound is unmistakably colored, but it's such a natural sounding effect. Jeff's voice and guitar lovingly caress you through the warmth, and resolution is simply top notch. I switch over to the the ASG-2 and hit play, then promptly walk to my bathroom mirror to make sure I'm not still wearing the TG334. WOW! The phones are so close in technical ability and signature that it would take a seasoned ear to listen out for the differences. As I scrape my jaw off the floor, I start to listen more closely for differences. In that light, please take into consideration that the differences I am about to describe are within roughly 5%, 10% at the most. Definitely noticeable, but require closer listening and potentially higher volumes. 

Resolution of raw detail in the mids is dead even. Anything the TG334 could pick out, the ASG-2 could too. The differences came in the slight variations in tuning. The TG334 has a warmer, lusher sound compared to the ASG-2's drier tone. The 334 added a tinge of warmth that worked magic at certain points of Hallelujah, but the result was a cloudier sound after a quick switch from the ASG-2. The ASG-2 also had better treble presence and extension, adding to the slight clarity gap between the two phones. I'm sure extra warmth could have been added to the ASG-2 by opening the bass port, but I left it as is seeing that not everyone might go for the bass port option

City and Colour's Little Hell was a totally different story. The TG334 sounds downright honky compared to the ASG-2 on this track. The ASG-2 has a lot (note that the "lot" is italicized and bolded) better treble timbre and presence. This song was recorded in a hollowed out cathedral, and the ASG-2 gives off the ambiance much better than the TG334 can. Dallas Green is a good deal clearer, the guitars are more delicious, and the atmosphere is right. Dale (Aurisonics CEO) wasn't kidding when he said that these weren't any ordinary balanced armatures. The ASG-2's upper mids appear a bit more laid back here, adding to the sense of space.

I Will Wait was more interesting. With the ASG-2's bass ports closed, the TG334 had more (welcome) bass, than helped add a more toe tapping vibe to the track. Mids and treble were more equal, as I could pick out about equal detail in both phones. 

I don't know what made the difference so large in Little Hell. Maybe it was because the song required the use of much more treble, prompting the ASG-2's tweeters to kick it up a notch. The other songs were more focused down in the mids, so I guess that explains my results.

Now im listening to Neon Cathedral

That song is a masterpiece!! I think my respect for you just went up by a few notches 
beerchug.gif

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #3,515 of 7,021
Thanks for posting those impressions again. Both very helpful. Fit seems to be so key here. Not necessarily a "proper" fit, just that the architecture of people's respective ears seems to strongly affect treble response with the ASG -2. And if the 334 is anything like the F111, the same theory applies. Another user heard the treble peak of the F111 to be a full 3k higher than I was able to achieve! That's a big difference!

People need to just keep playing with tip+insertion depth until they find something that works for them. It may be that some people are unable to attain the same treble that eke or sgs are hearing.

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #3,516 of 7,021
 LOL hahaha Thanks EKE ! 
beerchug.gif

It really is a great song , i find myslef listening to it more than im suppose to ! Now im Afraid of getting tired of it !

"A wake" is also a nother gret song from ryan and macklemore ! 
"Starting Over" and "Jimmy Iovine" are great tracks too ! 
basshead.gif

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #3,517 of 7,021
Thanks for posting those impressions again. Both very helpful. Fit seems to be so key here. Not necessarily a "proper" fit, just that the architecture of people's respective ears seems to strongly affect treble response with the ASG -2. And if the 334 is anything like the F111, the same theory applies. Another user heard the treble peak of the F111 to be a full 3k higher than I was able to achieve! That's a big difference!

People need to just keep playing with tip+insertion depth until they find something that works for them. It may be that some people are unable to attain the same treble that eke or sgs are hearing.

Yes, there are more variables with the G2 than most "normal" iems. The bass port is a key one. I also wonder if some people aren't used to the vented type seal of the G2, in that there is no vacuum suction as with the 334, etc. This may lead them to not knowing when they have a consistent fit. I know some people had that issue with the GR07.

It's all just a reminder that we all evaluate and experience sound differently.

You know, I think there may be a slight gap between where the dynamic driver's treble extension ends and the tweeter starts. Maybe Dale could tune further revisions for the tweeter to kick in earlier. The conflict is that the treble sounds technically great. Cymbals are quite realistic and all (for those who don't get a treble spike, I guess)

Then again, it's extremely song dependent. One one track, the mids are in your face (Holland Road), then on another they're pretty laid back. There's great dynamic range in the entire FR, leading me to believe the G2 is extremely transparent, despite its obviously coloured signature. The only drawback is the mid-bass/sub-bass ratio, and potentially the upper mids. 

To show what I mean about song dependence, here are two different songs from the same album and studio. Listen on your G2 (if you have it) for just how damn different they sound. They're from The Lumineers - Deluxe Edition. I couldn't find the videos so I uploaded the songs myself to YT:

Now imagine if two different people auditioned the G2 with either the first or second track. How do you think their opinions would differ?

Side note: Just in case you like the second track, here's a live video of them performing it in New Orleans. It shows why I love their music so much.

LOL hahaha Thanks EKE ! 
beerchug.gif

It really is a great song , i find myslef listening to it more than im suppose to ! Now im Afraid of getting tired of it !

"A wake" is also a nother gret song from ryan and macklemore ! 
"Starting Over" and "Jimmy Iovine" are great tracks too ! 
basshead.gif

If you like Macklemore, you should check out House of Balloons. It's an album by The Weeknd. Awesome stuff.

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #3,518 of 7,021

Yes, there are more variables with the G2 than most "normal" iems. The bass port is a key one. I also wonder if some people aren't used to the vented type seal of the G2, in that there is no vacuum suction as with the 334, etc. This may lead them to not knowing when they have a consistent fit. I know some people had that issue with the GR07.

It's all just a reminder that we all evaluate and experience sound differently.

You know, I think there may be a slight gap between where the dynamic driver's treble extension ends and the tweeter starts. Maybe Dale could tune further revisions for the tweeter to kick in earlier. The conflict is that the treble sounds technically great. Cymbals are quite realistic and all (for those who don't get a treble spike, I guess)

Then again, it's extremely song dependent. One one track, the mids are in your face (Holland Road), then on another they're pretty laid back. There's great dynamic range in the entire FR, leading me to believe the G2 is extremely transparent, despite its obviously coloured signature. The only drawback is the mid-bass/sub-bass ratio, and potentially the upper mids. 

To show what I mean about song dependence, here are two different songs from the same album and studio. Listen on your G2 (if you have it) for just how damn different they sound. They're from The Lumineers - Deluxe Edition. I couldn't find the videos so I uploaded the songs myself to YT:

Now imagine if two different people auditioned the G2 with either the first or second track. How do you think their opinions would differ?

Side note: Just in case you like the second track, here's a live video of them performing it in New Orleans. It shows why I love their music so much.

If you like Macklemore, you should check out House of Balloons. It's an album by The Weeknd. Awesome stuff.

Nice Tracks ! I found more music for my Ak100 !!!!!!! 

Hey Guys BTW i think a new competitor just came out a 6 driver iem with a 3 way crossover from earsonics ! the S-EM6 
this is what Jaben had to say about it !
Bastille Day would forever be remembered as the revolution that changed France and the world. Many great ideas and groundbreaking events stem from the French and today the tradition continues sans-guillotine. Instead of the gruesome device, the instrument has been refined and instead of a swift termination, it is now an instrument of pure, unadulterated magnified, audio bliss.

We take this opport
unity to introduce the S-EM6 fromEarSonics ® in-ear monitors, worlds first 6 drivers 3 way crossover universal earphone. Based on its EM6 technology, it’s the first time that universal earphones propose the sound quality and finish of a flagship custom in-ear monitors.

Pre-order starts now! Stay tuned for our pre-order special 

I havent gotten wind of the price yet but it looks to compete with the likes of the SD-3 and the ASG-2 ! And its got the same "custom IEM" look too ! 

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #3,519 of 7,021

... a new competitor just came out a 6 driver iem with a 3 way crossover from earsonics ! the S-EM6 
this is what Jaben had to say about it !
Bastille Day would forever be remembered as the revolution that changed France and the world. Many great ideas and groundbreaking events stem from the French and today the tradition continues sans-guillotine. Instead of the gruesome device, the instrument has been refined and instead of a swift termination, it is now an instrument of pure, unadulterated magnified, audio bliss.

Oh dear...

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #3,521 of 7,021
Enter the new contestant to the $1,000+ market, right? 
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, back to the ASG-2................

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #3,522 of 7,021
Sep 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #3,523 of 7,021
Nice Tracks ! I found more music for my Ak100 !!!!!!! 

[COLOR=FF0000]Hey Guys BTW i think a new competitor just came out a 6 driver iem with a 3 way crossover from earsonics ! the S-EM6 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]this is what Jaben had to say about it ![/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]Bastille Day would forever be remembered as the revolution that changed France and the world. Many great ideas and groundbreaking events stem from the French and today the tradition continues sans-guillotine. Instead of the gruesome device, the instrument has been refined and instead of a swift termination, it is now an instrument of pure, unadulterated magnified, audio bliss.[COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR]
We take this opport[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000]unity to introduce the S-EM6 from[/COLOR][COLOR=3B5998][COLOR=FF0000]EarSonics ® in-ear monitors[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000], worlds first 6 drivers 3 way crossover universal earphone. Based on its EM6 technology, it’s the first time that universal earphones propose the sound quality and finish of a flagship custom in-ear monitors.

Pre-order starts now! Stay tuned for our pre-order special [/COLOR]

I havent gotten wind of the price yet but it looks to compete with the likes of the SD-3 and the ASG-2 ! And its got the same "custom IEM" look too ! 

It costs 945.00 Euro

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #3,524 of 7,021
No problem man !
Hey next time you need a favour just PM me ! 
Or if your in Singapore , i'll Pay for the tab ! :D

Lol, actually i also need the ortofon tips medium and Im also from Singapore, cant seem to find them in Singapore.

Wait! You guys know I'm talking about acting as a proxy but you still pay for them right? I'm only giving away the tips I don't use from my first order and they are already reserved by two fine gentlemen.

Edit: Nvm also lol, sad face.

Tried the ASG-2 some days back. It just sounded so darn disappointing....

Can u elaborate?

Edit: nvm, u already did:thumbsup:

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #3,525 of 7,021
Wait! You guys know I'm talking about acting as a proxy but you still pay for them right? I'm only giving away the tips I don't use from my first order and they are already reserved by two fine gentlemen.

I don't know why I found this so funny 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Can u elaborate?

They already did. Check out the last 2 pages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back