[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
May 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 7,021
Originally Posted by soundbear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I found interesting was that Shotgunshane admitted that his new AS2 sounded different than what he remembered of the prototype he heard a year ago.

I echoed those same thoughts (in the other Aurisonics thread) after reading eke's preliminary review, talking with sgs, and PMing with you.  It probably explains why our conversations (via PM) about your AS-2 impressions were so different than what I remember hearing.  I'm interested to hear the changes.  Very cool to hear that Dale's working with you to make sure the AS-2 sound satisfies your expectations.

May 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #18 of 7,021
Interesting bit from Soundbear. I wonder if Dale will offer the tweaks he made to his pair for those that might prefer that sort of sig. Maybe like a G-2.1 revision or something.

May 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #19 of 7,021
Interesting bit from Soundbear. I wonder if Dale will offer the tweaks he made to his pair for those that might prefer that sort of sig. Maybe like a G-2.1 revision or something.

I really don't think that would be necessary. If there was a lack of treble, or truly excess bass, I would have said something like I did in the ASG-1.2 review.

I've been thinking about what could he causing soundbear and Tyll's issues. I remember pulling out the ASG-2, and setting the bass port to the circle thinking that it was the closed position, when it's actually the full blast setting. I may be insulting your intelligence, but sometimes simple things like that can cause big issues.

May 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #20 of 7,021
Shane mentioned to me that he felt the final tuning managed to possess prominent treble sparkle but not at the expense of smoothness. He said it never veered towards harshness or sibilance. Not really understanding what's up with Tyll's pair if they are indeed fine. Really odd.

May 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #21 of 7,021
Some beautiful music to run through your ASG-2, eke.. watch/listen in 720/1080p:

May 19, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #22 of 7,021
Great review.

Reading your exact thoughts it sounds as though the G-2s do use the tuning of the 1.3. I still think the highs might come out a bit from the dynamic driver. But I'm not sure. The thoughts on the sub bass and mid bass are spot on though (considering that those at entirely handled by the dynamic driver)

As for Tyll. It's fine if he doesn't like them. Having the 1.3s I don't agree with his thoughts aside from the highs which I can't compare due to not having the tweeters. Having one reviewer not like a set of headphones doesn't diminish the quality of the headphone.

May 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #23 of 7,021
Quote:
Some beautiful music to run through your ASG-2, eke.. watch/listen in 720/1080p:

images

I feel like I just heard my ASG-2 for the first time. 

You always post the best music. Seriously, let's trade ipods for a week.

Great review.

Reading your exact thoughts it sounds as though the G-2s do use the tuning of the 1.3. I still think the highs might come out a bit from the dynamic driver. But I'm not sure. The thoughts on the sub bass and mid bass are spot on though (considering that those at entirely handled by the dynamic driver)

As for Tyll. It's fine if he doesn't like them. Having the 1.3s I don't agree with his thoughts aside from the highs which I can't compare due to not having the tweeters. Having one reviewer not like a set of headphones doesn't diminish the quality of the headphone.

Thanks!

The issue isn't whether or not he likes it. I want to know why he hears it the way he does, it's just how my mind works. There has to be a changed/missing variable somewhere in the link that's causing such a problem. In the song Flysweep just posted, the xylophone sounded spot on, and vocals were ethereal. I just don't understand why Tyll's pair is so strange.

May 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #24 of 7,021
Quote:
Shane mentioned to me that he felt the final tuning managed to possess prominent treble sparkle but not at the expense of smoothness. He said it never veered towards harshness or sibilance. Not really understanding what's up with Tyll's pair if they are indeed fine. Really odd.

Aurisonics thinks Tyll's tweeters may have dropped (literally and figuratively I think).  At the same time, Tyll does like having crisp, almost crunchy, treble (based on the headphones he tends to like in his reviews), something the ASG-2 does not have, it's more soft treble with ample presence.

May 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #25 of 7,021
Quote:

Aurisonics thinks Tyll's tweeters may have dropped (literally and figuratively I think).  At the same time, Tyll does like having crisp, almost crunchy, treble (based on the headphones he tends to like in his reviews), something the ASG-2 does not have, it's more soft treble with ample presence.

Something must be wrong. Remember the drivers themselves are full range, so an EQ would still raise the treble quantity of the dynamic if the tweeters were malfunctioning.

The fact that he doesn't plan on at least returning it is a shame.

Quote: Tyll
To be truthful, I found these so poor sounding I almost didn't include them in the review. The lack of high frequency response is so severe I thought for a while that the tweeters might not even be hooked up, but I could equalize the upper treble into existence so I doubt that's the case.

^That is simply not the case!

May 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #26 of 7,021
Absolutely formidable review eke. Other reviews cower in fear in it's presence. Can't wait for the comparisons :D

Edit: I have no idea how you get these things out so fast! lol.

Quote:

Not too surprising. Did they get them back from him yet?
Sauce?

May 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #27 of 7,021
Quote:
Absolutely formidable review eke. Other reviews cower in fear in it's presence. Can't wait for the comparisons :D

Edit: I have no idea how you get these things out so fast! lol.

Not too surprising. Did they get them back from him yet?
Sauce?

beerchug.gif

It's a real shame about Tyll, simply because it might drive others away from hearing this great earphone. I know when I saw his review I felt a lump of worry and regret in my throat, only to find the opposite of his review to be true. 

We'll see what happens as time unfolds.

May 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #28 of 7,021
Quote:

Something must be wrong. Remember the drivers themselves are full range, so an EQ would still raise the treble quantity of the dynamic if the tweeters were malfunctioning.

Yes. I can EQ up the treble too. It has the extension but not the presence. So EQing it makes some songs really sing. I don't mind the rolled off treble after burn in and getting used to it. They aren't as dark as before. EQing is something I'd only do on some rock and metal songs that need the sharper treble. But for most of the music I listen to it isn't really needed. Either because the bass isn't so strong as to overshadow or because it just simply sounds good the way it is.

May 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #29 of 7,021
Quote:

Where'd you get that information from?  He said he was going to contact Aurisonics in the post...  So he is planning on returning... 

May 19, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #30 of 7,021
Where'd you get that information from?  He said he was going to contact Aurisonics in the post...  So he is planning on returning... 

Soundbear mentioned earlier that Tyll doesn't plan on returning them.

:beerchug:

It's a real shame about Tyll, simply because it might drive others away from hearing this great earphone. I know when I saw his review I felt a lump of worry and regret in my throat, only to find the opposite of his review to be true. 

We'll see what happens as time unfolds.

That's basically my concern, really. I think a number of people developed a distaste for Aurisonics due to a bad experience with the ASG-1. The 2 being the different beast that it is, definitely seems like it would be more geared towards those wanting a more Hi-fi oriented sig. The fact that the phones were summarily panned on such a high traffic site such as IF does mean that a number of people will have basically felt like their suspicions towards the company were affirmed while those who aren't familiar with the company will be put off by the strong wording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back