[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
May 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #151 of 7,021
Quote:
I think he was referring to gnarl, which would be just as bad given that he's an expert at deep Ety insertion

Yes, I was referring to the guy who sold his ASG-2. I didn't assume that was (in fact) the issue (which is why I didn't mention it to him). It's just that the symptoms (as described) sounded similar to those resulting from a bad seal. I have no idea who is an expert at seals and who isn't.

May 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #152 of 7,021
Yes it is tough coming from an ER4. I was looking for something a little different but not too different, and the ASG-2 is definitely too different. I played with a ton of eq settings to try and improve it. With the bass port completely closed, I'd raise the sub-bass below 80hZ ~3dB, raise the mids at 2-3kHz ~3dB, and drop the 7-8kHz range ~3-4dB. Nothing too major, which shows how close the ASG-2 is to a more linear signature imo. For what it's worth there were tracks that sounded better on the ASG-2 than on the ER4S to my ears.

As per questions on the quality of my set, they were held at Aurisonics until Dale himself was able to approve them for shipment. That was the reason they took an extra week. I have no doubt the tweeters are in working order, and the sound is normal. It's my own personal preference that iems follow a diffuse field reference a bit more closely than the ASG-2 does. I wonder what kind of reference is used by Aurisonics' and all the other companies' iems with non-linear frequency responses.  

May 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #153 of 7,021
Quote:

Yes, I was referring to the guy who sold his ASG-2. I didn't assume that was (in fact) the issue (which is why I didn't mention it to him). It's just that the symptoms (as described) sounded similar to those resulting from a bad seal. I have no idea who is an expert at seals and who isn't.

It's perfectly possible that what he feels is a good seal may not be.  I know when the B2 was originally released, many who felt they had a good seal really didn't when tested against the Sensaphonics Seal Test.  Regardless of how I feel about a seal, I still use that test to ensure it is what I feel it is.

May 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #154 of 7,021
Quote:

It's perfectly possible that what he feels is a good seal may not be.  I know when the B2 was originally released, many who felt they had a good seal really didn't when tested against the Sensaphonics Seal Test.  Regardless of how I feel about a seal, I still use that test to ensure it is what I feel it is.

I think he cleared up the whole thing in the post before yours.

May 23, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #155 of 7,021
Quote:

My sincerest apologies 
redface.gif

I'm actually struggling to compare the Flat-4 and ASG-2. They're so different.

Maybe by midnight (central us time).

Hm I wonder what would have happened if Dale chose to do with the dual dynamics instead of the hybrid design...? 

May 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #156 of 7,021
I think he cleared up the whole thing in the post before yours.

And the birds passed eachother in the air towards destinations that would soon not be.

It happens.

My sincerest apologies 
redface.gif

I'm actually struggling to compare the Flat-4 and ASG-2. They're so different.

Maybe by midnight (central us time).

I'm actually anticipating that one a lot specifically because they're so different. Are you planning to do a separate review for the Flat4 and the IE800?

May 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #157 of 7,021
Quote:

Hm I wonder what would have happened if Dale chose to do with the dual dynamics instead of the hybrid design...? 

We'll never know my friend...  We'll never know.  The BAs may not have dropped though :p  I think it might be a little tough to have a dynamic drop :p  Dale did say BAs are extremely delicate (directionally).

May 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #158 of 7,021
As an aside, I wasn't the luck sumgun who got Gnarls' ASG-2, but if there's anybody else that has a set with the adjustable bass vent that wants to unload 'em, shoot me a PM. 

Which brings me to a good-natured prod at our Aurisonics guys to get these bad boys on the market ASAP: 

:)

May 23, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #159 of 7,021
Quote:

Although I am probably one of the biggest proponents of good fit, your post challenged me to give it one last go before I send these off tomorrow. So I tried the Auvio tips. Wow. Much better fit and the sibilance on Pretty Hate Machine is definitely reduced. Even Jeff Buckley has very little sibilance now, along with Freddie on Another One Bites the Dust (a really good test track). It's still present, but decreased quite noticeably. I completely admit I must have had a poor fit with some odd resonance accentuating 7-8kHz. It was pretty bad. What's weird is that I tried every tip besides the Auvio tips, thinking it wouldn't make much of a difference.  

My other observations about the general sound signature stand, as the mid-bass and mids are unchanged, but I'm really glad to get the treble evened out a bit. I would still place the ASG-2's 8kHz as a little more pronounced than the ER4S, however. 

Learn from my mistake and go through every tip you have people!

May 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #160 of 7,021
Yep, I also felt that the asg-2 did not have enough sub-bass/mid-bass ratio.  The ports only affected midbass, and sub-bass was really weak.  Other than that, everything else was fine, but I knew I wouldn't be able to live with that midbass so I passed on them. 

May 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #162 of 7,021
That was awesome. I read it twice.

An IEM that demands an open door to the soul. And a write up that's a window into it.

May 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #163 of 7,021
Quote:

Although I am probably one of the biggest proponents of good fit, your post challenged me to give it one last go before I send these off tomorrow. So I tried the Auvio tips. Wow. Much better fit and the sibilance on Pretty Hate Machine is definitely reduced. Even Jeff Buckley has very little sibilance now, along with Freddie on Another One Bites the Dust (a really good test track). It's still present, but decreased quite noticeably. I completely admit I must have had a poor fit with some odd resonance accentuating 7-8kHz. It was pretty bad. What's weird is that I tried every tip besides the Auvio tips, thinking it wouldn't make much of a difference.  

My other observations about the general sound signature stand, as the mid-bass and mids are unchanged, but I'm really glad to get the treble evened out a bit. I would still place the ASG-2's 8kHz as a little more pronounced than the ER4S, however. 

Learn from my mistake and go through every tip you have people!

Glad I could help :p

May 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #165 of 7,021
Quote:
Will u be comparing them to Shure's new SE 846 eke?

There might be an opportunity in the somewhat distant future. Not anytime soon though.

Quote:
That was awesome. I read it twice.

An IEM that demands an open door to the soul. And a write up that's a window into it.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back