REVIEW: Audez’e LCD-2 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Jun 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #61 of 171
Skylab,

Excellent review as always (following your long-running portable amp review thread), but I do have one question; I have larger sound-catchers and prominent pinnae.  I see some pictures of the LCD-2s with thick (overstuffed) earpads and others (including yours), that appear thinner.  I like the overstuffed earpads as on my Markl modded D2000s.  Can you please clarify about the earpads?  Because, these cans look tempting...

Thanks,
-HK sends

PS - I can't find any specs on these (the web site just says they're building them as fast as they can).  Do you have the specs (or did I miss them on the first page)?

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #63 of 171
The earpads are thinner on the "face" side and thicker on the back side.  But every pair I have ever seen was the same.  Should be no issue.

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #65 of 171

Quote:
Skylab,     nice review!    one question:  what are you going to do with the headband?   I totally agree with you that it shouldn't be on a $1k headphone ...  

Audez'e has announced better foam which I saw at CanJam and was a big improvement.  They said they would send some to all owners who got the old foam.  As yet, however, I have not gotten the new foam replacement.

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #67 of 171

Quote:
Tempting. You and kwkarth are teasing my credit card. If only there was an Audeze promo wagon going from town to town.

Skylab, how are they in terms of leakage of sound? For example, I found the HD800 and K701 to leak quite a bit, and the T1 and HE-5 to leak much less, using the same output level on all three. Where would the LCD-2 rank?

If leakage is of any concern for you at all, I would look elsewhere.  These are open cans and have NO design criteria for isolation of any kind.

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #69 of 171
I'm glad I found this thread. At any point did the LCD2's become overwhelmed or congested by complex musical passages? (That can't be attributed to deficiencies in the amp or source.)

Jun 20, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #70 of 171
Never to my ears, no.

Jun 20, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #71 of 171
Jun 20, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #72 of 171
I really don't like the fact that the headband foam is not protected with something. It will wear out much faster.

Jun 20, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #74 of 171
Thanks for the well balanced review, Rob.  It was nice meeting you at CanJam as well.  

I've been thinking about getting a pair of these puppies, and should have given them more head time when I had the chance.  

Given that I've got such a huge noggin, the comfort issue may well play a factor.  But on the other hand, I almost never listen to the same pair of headphones for more than one album at a time, and I don't remember them being positively uncomfortable, so perhaps...

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #75 of 171

Quote:
I'm glad I found this thread. At any point did the LCD2's become overwhelmed or congested by complex musical passages? (That can't be attributed to deficiencies in the amp or source.)

One of the major advantages for orthodynamics is their incredible speed and dynamics in the entire frequency spectrum, even the lowest bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back