Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Jan 30, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,966 of 2,480
  should definitely call them and get this sorted out. doesnt seem like its reasonable to get a used good sold as a new one.

Its all getting sorted out, ive spoken to Mark and A2A. Should be sending it back monday sometime, fingers crossed the new unit is in good condition. There is really a difference looking at my normal Concero and the new HP up close. Hopefully they can change to packaging a little bit so its more secure.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #1,967 of 2,480

Yeah, but I think the voltage on the X & 3 needs to be higher than 10 Vp-p (3.5 Vrms) for it to be driven optimally. There's plenty of current delivery from the HP, as they designed it specifically to handle extremely reactive loads (read: dynamics and multi-BA IEMs) but planars are almost wholly resistive loads, so it's not a problem there. The AD8397 should swing easily in that regard. So I'm sure good sound comes out of it, but likely not ideal because of peak voltage amplitude. I know the EL-8 is designed to be high-efficiency, so that's what I'm counting on. I didn't quite like the pairing between the HE-400 (not 400i) and the HP, though. I should try it with the HE-560 some time.

Trust me when I say, the LCD-X especially sounds really, really good through the Concero HP. My main rig is a Metrum Hex --> GS-X Mk2 as a data point. I was surprised too.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #1,969 of 2,480
Its all getting sorted out, ive spoken to Mark and A2A. Should be sending it back monday sometime, fingers crossed the new unit is in good condition. There is really a difference looking at my normal Concero and the new HP up close. Hopefully they can change to packaging a little bit so its more secure.

You mean it really was a new piece? And that's actually the new packaging without protective foam around it? Uncharacteristically sloppy coming from guys who made such great gear.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,972 of 2,480
  hahhahha
I would like!
maybe..one day..

beerchug.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,973 of 2,480
No news yet about the software updates huh. What about the mid tier model that's in the works. Anyone heard anything?

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #1,974 of 2,480
Watching Amos's recent unboxing of the Aurender Flow got me thinking: Might one use a 1/4" headphone to RCA adapter as a line out on the Concero HP? Has anyone tried this?

EDIT: Then the Concero HP might also be able to function as a preamp?

EDIT2: Would this amount to double-amping?

EDIT3: This might be a stupid question, but what's the difference, if any, between preamping and double-amping?

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #1,976 of 2,480
It has been discussed earlier in the thread. Yes, it works, sounds a bit less pure than Concero HD but definitely still great. Worst part is that it looks a bit odd.

John: Thanks for the reply! I'll have to consider this as an option, then, as I'm looking to add some pregain to my Dragon IHA-1. - I'd wondered how one might avoid the unpleasing look. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,977 of 2,480
Hmm still nothing on the firmware update but honestly i'm not surprised because i've seen many many delays in these days so this doesn't come as a surprise.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #1,978 of 2,480
To be honest, is there a single DAC audio company providing DFU updates for OS X ?
Not iFi, not LH Labs and now not Resonessence.
Apple needs to start helping these companies support their products on OS X via USB and get past DFU bugs or limitations.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,979 of 2,480
Finally received my replacement Concero HP, the difference from the one i returned is pretty darn large. They ended up sending me an older version with the better packaging, honestly i can see quite a few being returned with the new box. Just doesn't give you any faith in how the little unit is protected while in transit. Safe to say... it sounds amazing. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #1,980 of 2,480
  John: Thanks for the reply! I'll have to consider this as an option, then, as I'm looking to add some pregain to my Dragon IHA-1. - I'd wondered how one might avoid the unpleasing look. 

I don't know that a perfect solution really exists. I was thinking maybe the best you could do is look for a right-angle plug that allows the cable to stick close to the body of the DAC, and maybe route around the side to the back. That might look cleaner than going over the top. But you'd have to find just the right cable - usually only 1/8" plugs come in right angles. 

Hmm still nothing on the firmware update but honestly i'm not surprised because i've seen many many delays in these days so this doesn't come as a surprise.

Yeah I don't even know what all this update encompasses, so it's hard to say what the delay might be caused by.

To be honest, is there a single DAC audio company providing DFU updates for OS X ?
Not iFi, not LH Labs and now not Resonessence.
Apple needs to start helping these companies support their products on OS X via USB and get past DFU bugs or limitations.

Not that I've heard of. There may be a few but that's the exception, not the rule. 

Finally received my replacement Concero HP, the difference from the one i returned is pretty darn large. They ended up sending my an older version with the better packaging, honestly i can see quite a few being returned with the new box. Just doesn't give you any faith in how the little unit is protected while in transit. Safe to say... it sounds amazing. 

Nice. I wonder what the story is on the packaging? I've seen lots of companies try to save money by using lesser shipping/packaging materials, but never anything as bad as what you describe. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back