Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
May 24, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #1,396 of 1,817
wait, can i edit my own impulcifer measurement with that tool to enhance my hrtf? or it's exclusively for people who can't measure their own hrtf?
You can use it to feed up to 8 virtual speakers (that you measured yourself or otherwise) at eye level with upmixed content from stereo, and also to adjust the dynamic range of the music

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 27, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #1,397 of 1,817
I have two MS-TFB-1 mics and an M-Track Duo, but the right channel mic will only work with my Rode VXLR+ adapters (on either adapter or either input 1 or 2 of the interface) if the jack is pulled out from the adapter by about 1/8th of an inch, but works fine plugged fully into the mic-out of my motherboard. The left channel mic has no such issue, but there is no problem otherwise with the audio of either mic.

Does anyone have an explanation/fix for this?

May 28, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #1,398 of 1,817
I was able to get a near-perfect recreation of my LG CX TV speakers as a test drive, the fact that this is a free project is mind-blowing. I have a Kali LP-6 on the way that will hopefully be high enough quality when paired with an HD800 to not feel any loss of detail. Is it possible to EQ in the extra sub bass under 40 hz that is lacking from most speakers after the fact, or am I limited by the speaker capability?

May 29, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #1,399 of 1,817
I was able to get a near-perfect recreation of my LG CX TV speakers as a test drive, the fact that this is a free project is mind-blowing. I have a Kali LP-6 on the way that will hopefully be high enough quality when paired with an HD800 to not feel any loss of detail. Is it possible to EQ in the extra sub bass under 40 hz that is lacking from most speakers after the fact, or am I limited by the speaker capability?
If you do room measurements, Impulcifer will eq the bass for you. You could also of course do that manually in EqualizerAPO for example by adding some parametric filters.

May 29, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #1,400 of 1,817
If you do room measurements, Impulcifer will eq the bass for you. You could also of course do that manually in EqualizerAPO for example by adding some parametric filters.
What does Impulcifier do about the phase of bass frequencies for which the speakers' response is too low to give an actual reading of the timing?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 29, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #1,401 of 1,817
What does Impulcifier do about the phase of bass frequencies for which the speakers' response is too low to give an actual reading of the timing?
If it's so low that the mics can't pick it up I assume it's not touched. I had to EQ some sub bass regions of the hrir created with the LG CX speakers by 45 dB for them to be reasonably audible, and those frequencies appear to be placed similarly to the stock headphones. That's a pretty extreme case though, because they are TV speakers there is literally no sub bass.

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #1,402 of 1,817
I really like my LP-6s and am looking forward to hearing what your think of them.

Unrelated, but I recently bought the Etymotic ER4SR IEMs and I'm really, really liking them with Impulcifer BRIRs. Maybe even more than I like them with my Anandas. There's something special about just how much detail these things can retrieve. I like the ER4SR with the BRIRs a lot more than I like the same BRIRs with my Moondrop Blessing 2, though that might just come down to the fact that I have to rely on IEM measurements made by other folks and the MDB2s have a surprising lack of variety in the measurements available.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #1,403 of 1,817
Is it possible to somehow adjust the angle of a single virtual speaker in either impulcifer or hesuvi? I'm getting a lot of great sounding HRIRs but my left ear is angled differently than my right ear and 95% of the 30+ HRIRs I've recorded are panned to the left.

Specifically (with single speaker measurement) it's the front left speaker that is the issue, it usually sounds almost merged into side left and closer to my head. I can't find an angle that reliably matches with front right, which is perfect when turned 30 degrees. I've tried anywhere from about 5 degrees to about 50, with varying results.

+30 for FL/FR orientation in Hesuvi gets it near the right position, but drags FR into the wrong position with it and warps the frequency response a bit.

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,404 of 1,817
Is it possible to somehow adjust the angle of a single virtual speaker in either impulcifer or hesuvi? I'm getting a lot of great sounding HRIRs but my left ear is angled differently than my right ear and 95% of the 30+ HRIRs I've recorded are panned to the left.

Specifically (with single speaker measurement) it's the front left speaker that is the issue, it usually sounds almost merged into side left and closer to my head. I can't find an angle that reliably matches with front right, which is perfect when turned 30 degrees. I've tried anywhere from about 5 degrees to about 50, with varying results.

+30 for FL/FR orientation in Hesuvi gets it near the right position, but drags FR into the wrong position with it and warps the frequency response a bit.
You can let impulcifer adjust it with the --channel_balance command in plot, see the measurements guide, there are a bunch of ways to balance the channels, you just have to try and see what's best for you

Jun 8, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #1,405 of 1,817
You can let impulcifer adjust it with the --channel_balance command in plot, see the measurements guide, there are a bunch of ways to balance the channels, you just have to try and see what's best for you
My channel balance is fairly good and I have tried all of the commands, the FL speaker is still positioned incorrectly.

Jun 8, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #1,406 of 1,817
I ended up removing the casing for my ms-tfb mics and putting them inside a slit earbud I had lying around like Brandon did earlier in the thread, my results are already noticeably better from doing that so I'm assuming that is the main issue.

Some of the 5 hrirs I quickly recorded with the naked mic are actually panned to the right, which was previously near impossible for me unless I intentionally sabotaged the FL channel.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #1,407 of 1,817
My channel balance is fairly good and I have tried all of the commands, the FL speaker is still positioned incorrectly.

are you sure you don't have some hearing loss in your right ear? i was complaining for the same thing on my front left channel until i noticed that i have some hearing loss in my left ear; the channel balance helped a bit only because it centered more the front left and right channels so it was less noticeable

try what i did: just play some 7.1 left and right stuff and try to wear your headphone in reverse and see if you have the same problem with your other ear... if so then it's the hrir the problem, if it isn't then you probably have some frequency loss in your ear

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #1,408 of 1,817
are you sure you don't have some hearing loss in your right ear? i was complaining for the same thing on my front left channel until i noticed that i have some hearing loss in my left ear; the channel balance helped a bit only because it centered more the front left and right channels so it was less noticeable

try what i did: just play some 7.1 left and right stuff and try to wear your headphone in reverse and see if you have the same problem with your other ear... if so then it's the hrir the problem, if it isn't then you probably have some frequency loss in your ear
Are you sure you have hearing loss in your left ear or is that just a guess? That's usually in the higher frequencies as far as I know, unless it's a severe case. If not I would try adding a small delay (like 0.1 ms) to the left channel in EqAPO and see if that makes a difference to you, that has worked for other people on this forum.

If your normal head posture is tilted slightly left or right, your brain will eventually accept that position as neutral. If your head is tilted left and sound is hitting your right ear slightly sooner than your left, simulating the delay that your brain is expecting will most likely fix your issue.

Anyways, removing the mic casing fixed my issue thankfully

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #1,409 of 1,817
Is it possible to output HRIRs in a desired sample rate that isn't 48khz without having to resample? Seems like Impulcifer only outputs at 48khz unless the --fs parameter is used to resample to another rate. I'm trying to record HRIRs directly using my desired sample rate.

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #1,410 of 1,817
Well, I did it fellas. I just ordered a pair of Senny+Drop HD8XXs. I've been waiting for a good excuse to try them for a while now and my trusty Ananda's right earpads just came apart at the seams due to the glue weakening and that was as good an excuse as any. I know, I know, that's a rather flimsy excuse.:beyersmile:

After using the Ety ER4SRs for a couple weeks now I honestly just crave more detail than my Anandas can provide and everything I've read online says the HD800 and it's derivatives are about as detailed as it gets in a full-sized headphones, so that was the next logical step. The ER4SR's detail is straight up addicting when using Impulcifer; it takes realism to another level. I'm very curious how the 8XX fares in comparison. Also, the 800/8XX's highly-praised comfort is attractive as well; the Anandas are very comfortable but their earcups are a bit large for my head and I find myself with a bit of abrasion below my right ear after a long day of wear. I think they'd be about perfect if the cups were a 5 millimeters shorter in length.

I've ordered the 8XX from Amazon and they should come in on Sunday, I went with a new pair rather than saving a few hundred because I wanted to be able to return them if they aren't a noticeable upgrade in both detail retrieval and comfort. I have a rather large collection of mid-tier headphones that I need to sell since I don't use any full-sized cans but my Anandas or DT770s anymore, so this'll be a good reason to stop being lazy finally put those on the market.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back