Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 28, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #14,266 of 24,669
Oh God, I just started getting into movies and remembered this thread...
Pineapple Express: 7/10
Pulp Fiction: 8.5/10
The Usual Suspects: 9.5/10
Trainspotting: 8/10
The Union: 8/10

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #14,269 of 24,669
  "Cloud Atlas" [7.8/10]: I reserve the right to change my rating after I watch this movie again and have more time to digest it. There was something fascinating about it. The film was difficult to follow at times but I generally enjoy a challenge.

I was very frustrated with it after the first 20 or 30 mins, then once I figured out the structure all of a sudden I became really taken with it...I dont know if I have the energy to ever see it again, but I found it quite an emotional film. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #14,270 of 24,669
To me the Cloud Atlas trailer is better than the actual movie
normal_smile .gif

I think Cloud Atlas would only work if it was released in parts and as a 10 hour movie!
It's like they tried to tackle too much in such a short period of time.

There is really too much variation in how good some sections are.
The clone storyline was really terrible to me.

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #14,271 of 24,669
I could have done without the same actors reappearing as constantly as they did. Occasionally it worked. Most of the times it didn't, especially in the clone story line. Certainly an admirable film though, if a pretty inconsistent one.

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #14,272 of 24,669
  Wow...amazing. 

"Captain Phillips" - 9.4/10

Good to know, can't wait to see it.  I've always been a big Tom Hanks fan, how does his acting rate with some of his other movies.  
No Oscar for this, but "Castaway" still haunts me,.  
Hard to believe he started out acting in a TV comedy as a transevestite .

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #14,273 of 24,669
  Good to know, can't wait to see it.  I've always been a big Tom Hanks fan, how does his acting rate with some of his other movies.  
No Oscar for this, but "Castaway" still haunts me,.  
Hard to believe he started out acting in a TV comedy as a transevestite .

lol, I used to watch Bosom Buddies all the time when I was a kid...loved that show. 

In my opinion, his acting was "good" for most of the film, and I say that because I didn't really think he was challenged. But that all changed toward the end, in which case I'd have to say it was some of the finest acting of his career. I'm a big fan of subtlety and detail when it comes to acting, and he was extremely convincing for the last 20 mins of this film, with the MOST impressive aspects coming at the very end. The end of this movie really impacted me emotionally, and I dont know if Id be able to say that if it had been a lesser actor in the role. 

It's an amazing story and a very engaging film. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #14,274 of 24,669
Paying it forward

9/10. Can´t believe I missed a Kevin Spacey movie. I had the odd feeling of seeing it before but then if I seen it how could I have forgot about it???
I don´t understand why Jon Bon Jovi is in the picture. They cut him out as much as they possibly could thankfully but maybe he helped sponsor the movie or something.

The story telling could be a bit more subtle and less ruthless but it´s effective.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #14,275 of 24,669

lol, I used to watch Bosom Buddies all the time when I was a kid...loved that show. 

In my opinion, his acting was "good" for most of the film, and I say that because I didn't really think he was challenged. But that all changed toward the end, in which case I'd have to say it was some of the finest acting of his career. I'm a big fan of subtlety and detail when it comes to acting, and he was extremely convincing for the last 20 mins of this film, with the MOST impressive aspects coming at the very end. The end of this movie really impacted me emotionally, and I dont know if Id be able to say that if it had been a lesser actor in the role. 

It's an amazing story and a very engaging film. 

Agreed, Tom's acting was pretty good throughout the movie but it's towards the end were he really shines. He was really convincing in letting his emotions out that you can't help but to feel the same emotionally as if you had just been in his place. I remember watching Bosom Buddies, it's a classic.

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #14,276 of 24,669
Thor: Dark World

7.5 / 10 in my opinion

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #14,278 of 24,669

Thor: The Dark World  6/10. Entertaining enough, but nothing special.

Did you stay until the end?

Hint to those who are planning to see Thor 2 - stay to the very very end :wink: 

It is the general rule of any Marvel movies mate :p stay until the end...

Oct 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #14,280 of 24,669
I think some of this may have to do with the fact that I always find other cultures interesting to observe, but it seems I've been on quite a run of very strong films either set in France (e.g. Simon Killer) or produced there (e.g. Starbuck). This one was no exception, as it was another strong offering. I didn't like it quite as much as the critics, who gave it a 97 on RT, but certainly very engaging. The editing was a bit problematic in certain parts, the first ten or fifteen mins being one of them. It was very choppy and disjointed. And believe me, I very rarely comment on the editing unless it sticks out, and in this case it certainly did, IMO. But overall I can highly recommend this film, and kudos to the French cinema!

"Rapt" - 8.3/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back