Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #14,252 of 24,674
Interesting documentary "Mama, I'm Gonna Kill You" about orphanages in Russia with English subtitles. Currently there are around 650 thousand abandoned children in Russia. Every second of orphans is diagnosed as mentally dumb despite 2/3 of them are absolutely normal children. Because of diagnosis they will not be allowed to enter university or get better jobs. 40% of orphanage graduates become alcoholics and drug addicts. 40% commit crimes. 10% commit suicide.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #14,254 of 24,674
"Frontline" on PBS presents a first-rate documentary film virtually every week on Tuesday nights. Their investigative reporting and skilled presentation style tend to make any topic interesting, and the topics are always timely. The episode this week, "Hunting The Nightmare Bacteria" was particularly good and the topic was one that we all need to know about even though it may be more comfortable to live in blissful ignorance...the whole episode can be viewed here (...the episode called, "The Retirement Gamble" that is on next Tuesday is also a must see...)

Oct. 22, 2013
"Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria"
FRONTLINE investigates the rise of deadly drug-resistant bacteria.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/hunting-the-nightmare-bacteria/

Oct. 29, 2013
Encore Presentation: "The Retirement Gamble"
FRONTLINE investigates America's Coming Retirement Crisis: Will Your IRA or 401k Accounts Ensure A Safe Retirement?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/retirement-gamble/

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #14,255 of 24,674
  Interesting documentary "Mama, I'm Gonna Kill You" about orphanages in Russia with English subtitles. Currently there are around 650 thousand abandoned children in Russia. Every second of orphans is diagnosed as mentally dumb despite 2/3 of them are absolutely normal children. Because of diagnosis they will not be allowed to enter university or get better jobs. 40% of orphanage graduates become alcoholics and drug addicts. 40% commit crimes. 10% commit suicide.

Every culture has their own cast system :frowning2:

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #14,256 of 24,674
Did anyone else here watch the documentary "Blackfish" last night? It's a documentary about keeping killer whales in captivity mostly at various Sea World facilities around the country and similar facilities around the world. A very, very interesting and enlightening show. The Orca's intelligence and social nature has been studied and recognized for many decades, but the neuro-physicist that was interviewed explained that MRI's and other tests have established that the Orca has a large part of their brain that is devoted to emotional response. I have to wonder how we can keep such magnificent creatures basically in an oversized tub, strictly for our own entertainment. They are "stored" in even worse conditions when the "parks" are closed to the public. Sea World and various other similar facilities would like you to believe that they do what they do, in large part, for the study and preservation of these mammals. There's absolutely no truth to that contention. Of course, it's all about business and profit. Orcas live at least twice as long in the wild as they do in captivity.

"I'm not one of those PETA fanatics, but I just think enough is enough with this kind of nonsense. Hopefully enough people have seen, or will see this documentary, and spread the word and stay away from such venues."

Here's the trailer. CNN will be airing the entire movie again soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ou5DqfkZ8

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #14,257 of 24,674
It can have some effect that some see them read up on them and thus get interested in what they do. But that thing is past perhaps. Bull fighting and animal torture shows like this has to go.

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #14,259 of 24,674
Food inc. 5/5.

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #14,260 of 24,674
  Food inc. 5/5.

If you like that I also suggest these:

King Corn
Forks over Knives
The Real Dirt on Farmer John
Vegucated

I also suggest everyone read "Eat to Live" and "The China Study".
All of them are backed up by research. There is research in there that the media will not ever mention. Don't want to get sued I guess.

BTW so many diets are stupid. I once read of one saying legumes are bad yet suggest to eat all the meat you want..as long as it's Organic! What?
I'm really sensitive to some foods so i'll avoid them.

I myself try to avoid food that's too highly processed. I can't afford all organic food though.

It seems that growing up in the USA you're almost brainwashed into thinking what foods are best for you. Like for protein there is only dead meat. For calcium you will have terrible bone health without milk or dairy!

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #14,261 of 24,674
I had watched a movie called "The Gambler" a few weeks ago that I really enjoyed, and Netflix had listed this one at the bottom of the screen as a recommendation. I saw that Jeff Probst (from Survivor) wrote and directed it, which I thought was very interesting. Well, it ended up being pretty good. It was a little predictable, and there were some minor issues here and there, but he did a good job of writing an interesting film that keep my interest from start to finish. Overall I'd say it was pretty well done and enjoyable. 

"Finder's Fee" - 8.0/10

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #14,262 of 24,674
I finally saw "Pacific Rim" while onboard an airplane last week. I did not like it at all. I'm a big SciFi & Action fan, but the underlying premise & story was so bad that I just couldn't get into it at all. The holes were big enough to drive a Kaiju through. Massive rockets & plasma cannons don't kill a Kaiju, but a big sword can slice one in two? Really? Why exactly is it that for years the bad guys in the other universe only send one Kaiju every so often? If the bad guys are mind linked with the Kaiju, then why can't they see that only one at a time isn't getting the job done? And here's a wild idea for the humans in this movie: Use some that awesome technology to put sensors around the rift, and nuke anything that sticks it's ugly head above the forcefield. Apparently, that thought never occurred to any of them...

SFX: 8/10
Story: 2/10
Acting: 3/10
Overall: 3/10

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #14,263 of 24,674
Massive rockets & plasma cannons don't kill a Kaiju, but a big sword can slice one in two? Really?

AT Field?

Didn't want to read past that cuz I haven't seen it yet and possible spoilers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back