Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Mar 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #2,086 of 8,138

Quote:
Oh snap.  Is an edit to the "HD800/T1 Musings" in order? 
basshead.gif

It is. Different upstream gear made that happen.

But, if I could only own one headphone and it came down to the HD800 or T1, I'd take the T1s for their versatility with pretty much every genre of music I throw at them.

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2,087 of 8,138
Gaming headphones (NOT RANKED FOR MUSIC!!):

AKG Q701 (stock cable)
AKG K601 (totally underrated headphone. I'd take this over the regular K701/K702)
Sennheiser HD-600 (DHC cable only. Disliked it stock)
Sennheiser HD-598 (ca-0363 recable. Cheap wire)
KRK KNS-8400 (too revealing of low quality soundtracks! Lots of treble, but not too ear piercing)
Koss Pro DJ 100 with M50 pads
KRK KNS-6400 (slightly less clear than 8400. Less treble than 8400 and more mid-bass. Smaller soundstage)
Koss A/250 (almost too much treble. Weird signature. Nice soundstage, Detail monster!!)
Audio Technica ATH-AD300 (I'm a huge fan of it's signature. Not like AD700. Kind of warm, but sound clarity is just good, not great)
AKG K240 Studio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (not balanced sounding. Don't like it's piercing treble. Massive soundstage)
Panasonic HTF-600 (modded to reduce bass. Sound clarity is average. Soundstage is quite good!)

If I had to pick two favorites, they'd be the Q701 and KRK KNS-8400. I don't use the KNS-8400 enough because it's not open.
My DJ100 with it's CA-0363 cable, M50 pads and mods has a soundstage the size of a semi-open headphone with specific games.
Level of detail is comparable to the KRK KNS-8400.

The Turtlebeach Earforce DSS (and probably Mixamp) can't drive the KRK KNS-8400 or DJ100 very well. Too little volume. Weird.
I use them all of them with an amp.

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #2,088 of 8,138
Top5-STAX 009>LCD-3>HD-800>STAX 007>STAX SR-507

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #2,089 of 8,138
1) Audeze LCD2 2) Sennheiser IE80 3)Sennheiser HD650

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #2,091 of 8,138

Quote:
1. HD600
2. Shure SE535

I sold everything else.

Wise man with a good taste...

Quote:
Sennheiser HD-600 (DHC cable only. Disliked it stock)

with this, bold, line you made the entire list useless... due to SCIENCE! ... sorry felt like trolling... it's true though :p

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #2,092 of 8,138
1. HD580
2. PFE
3. MX55
4. EH2200
5. rebranded Senn buds that came with my old iriver player

578. Jbuds J2

574785678. the pile of pack in buds from various portable devices

i know we're not supposed to do used to own but the MDR-E888s i used to have would have easily been a strong #3 but they wouldn't stay in my ear so i reluctantly sold them to someone who might have better luck (i did love how they sounded when they would stay put though)... and the ety er-6 would have been an easy #4... possibly a tie for #3 with the 888s (sold them after i got the PFEs)

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #2,093 of 8,138
Does science tell you that he couldn't have heard a difference or he couldn't have thought he heard a difference?

If it doesn't disprove the latter then his statement is not invalidated, it's just not applicable to others.

This thread is people ranking their own headphones - if you assumed objective conclusions were to be drawn, you were sadly misinformed.  And yes, in this subforum your post was trolling.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #2,094 of 8,138

Quote:

Wise man with a good taste...

with this, bold, line you made the entire list useless... due to SCIENCE! ... sorry felt like trolling... it's true though :p

Good for you. Gotta love the science guys. You know those people who use their $50 Radio Shack speakers with two brands of dollar store wire and claim they hear no difference and never will.
I'd be extremely surprised if any of these so called "science guys" actually TRIED to prove theirselves wrong. That's what I did and love to do.

I mean seriously, do they even have any experience with using and testing wire and actually recabling headphones and listening to the resulting sound? Very few. I think I heard one do this once and he recabled his K702 with a Cardas cable and was driving it from a Nano.
You can even recable a KSC75 with Mogami and hear a difference.

If what you say is true, that would be you saying you've tried the DHC cable with the HD-600. You haven't. 

I think the issue is that the stock HD-600 cable is low quality garbage. The quality is about as high as those free RCA cables you get with a DVD player. That would explain a lot. There is no reason a $20 recable won't fix the HD-600 issues. It just has to be a specific type of cable with a low capacitance such as Belden or the DHC. Even a Cat6 recable would be better than stock!

Here's another fun experiment for the science guys. Take the HD-650 cable and solder it onto a known bright sounding headphone and see what you get. If that isn't enough proof, then I don't know what is...

I think the HD-600 is the only headphone I ever had I actually ONLY like with a new cable. I can't explain that one. HD-600 with stock cable is a complete snore fest to me. Anemic mids and poor sub-bass.

You can actually fix it's issues by giving the driver less air and using the HD-580 grills. Even closing it off. There's a thread about this from MarkL from 2001, but they all thought he was crazy or something, but he was right.

Yes, all that was trolling too. It's fun!

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2,095 of 8,138
Quote:
HE-6
HD800
K1K
DX1000
LCD2
D5000
D7000
HD650
RS2

Nice collection. I would love to hear your thoughts on why you prefer the D5000 over the D7000.

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #2,097 of 8,138

Quote:
Good for you...

...Yes, all that was trolling too. It's fun!

Indeed, good for me, and I'm glad you had you share of fun.

But seriously, cables differ in resistance... and looks. There is nothing more to it. Measure both, and unless there are two resistors soldered somewhere inside (or the cord is way too long), there shouldn't be a huge difference in ohm. If they are close or identical, they sound the same. If the resistance differs quite a bit, like a 75 Ohm-adapter-cord people use on the ETY ER-4P to convert them to Er-4S, it actually sounds quite a bit different... you can measure these results and reproduce them with ease.

But I doubt that the Kardas cable and the K701 stock cable differ more than 1 or 2 ohm, which is a difference most drivers in a series differ from each other...
If you want to change a headphone, change the pads and the dampening. These two aspekts change the sound and produce a measureable (existing) difference in SQ. 

Here is my List of Headphones (so that the thread doesn't derail too much:
I still own the bold ones.

1.Sennheiser HD600
2.Sennheiser HD650
3.Shure SE425
3.AKG K240 Sextetts MP (recabled... just because this one didn't have a TRS-connector)
4.AKG K242 HD (due to velours)
5.Etymotic HF5 with some EQ and 75ohm adapter, (created with science).
6.Denon AH-D2000
7.Denon AH-D5000
8.Shure SRH 440
9.AKG K240s (way too boomy, but fun)
10.Koss Pro DJ 100
11.AKG K141 600ohm
12.Koss Porta Pro
13.AKG K701 (uncomfortable lower treblepeak, despite that HUGE issue, these would sound fantastic)
14.AKG K400 (uncomfortable lower treblepeak)
15.ATH M50s + Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro (uncomfortable upper treblepeak)
16.AKG K601 (mine sounded like a faulty pair and unlike anything people on head-fi describe)
17.AKG K240M

Had the chance to listen to several others, like most Beyers, Senn HD800, and K550. But I had no chance to listen to them for long, so I won't rate them here.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #2,098 of 8,138
1) Terminator V4 (woodied Beyer DT770's)
2) Audio-Technica AD900
3) Ultrasone HFi-780
4) Grado SR225i (recently sold)

Been thinking about picking up some AKG Q701 to replace the AD900, but I'd kind of like to hear them first. From response graphs, I think they might offer a slight bump in the low frequencies that I'm looking for... Not huge, but enough.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #2,099 of 8,138

Are you trying to preach to me?
normal_smile%20.gif
I've done a enough recables to trust my own ears. And I thought I was bad. I don't think i've ever proclaimed my experience are facts.
If you haven't tried over half a dozen varieties of wires and headphones, then you haven't really tried hard enough! Many, many wires do sound the same. I've never been this fortunate and I wish this was the case.
Have you tried Canare? It's a high capacitance wire and it will turn any of your very warm headphones into a muddy mess. It seems this has been my experience with the 598, Sextett, DJ100 and HD-650.

If you go to any forum for people who runs studios, it's pretty common knowledge that a lower capacitance wire (Belden/DHC) will sound brighter than one with a higher capacitance (Mogami/Canare).
People say there is no way the high end could be effected on such a short length of cable, but it sure doesn't seem that way.

What's interesting is that the wrong wire can ruin a headphone's signature. Try the Double Helix or Belden 1192A with the HD-598. It makes the mids too far forward and fatiguing. This is after a week of use. I switched back and it was perfect.

My idea as to why cables changed the sound was A) higher quality copper B) thickness of wire and C) Capacitance (shouldn't matter with short runs, but is there proof of this?). Could be a combination of many things.

SOME headphones don't change much with a recable.

BTW there was someone on here that had actual measurements of silver wire making a difference with the HD-650. People seemed to not want to believe it. That's silver and not plain old copper though.

For a cable to actually make a difference, why does it have to change the signature? This I don't get. You can often retain the signature and just clear up the sound and make a headphone more detailed. I kept the same signature with my 598 recable, which is what I wanted.

One thing i've noticed is that without a very revealing DAC/Amp, it's much harder to determine the difference between cables. Don't ask me why.

It seems to me that non-believers of cheap wire might not have tried enough recables, different types of wire or are just trying it with Speakers. I can't hear a difference with speakers and interconnects are a lot tougher.

I don't care if someone believes it's all non-sense, but some people are just so dead-set in their beliefs and refuse to even try new things. I actually was one of those who believed wires made no difference at all..probably about 4 years until I recabled my KSC75.

I've probably recabled a dozen headphones with all different sorts of wires and none of them retained the headphone's natural signature. Maybe the CA-0363 with the HD-598 and DJ100, but that's about it.
I would say the biggest difference was in the level of detail and how bright or warm a headphone was. Soundstage is effect too, but's probably due to the change in treble.

Here is one last question someone can answer for me. Why does a lower capacitance wire such as DHC appear louder at the same volume level than a stock cable? It's measurable with a sound meter. It's almost like someone cranked up my volume. No kidding.
Thought this was my imagination at first..

Quote:

Indeed, good for me, and I'm glad you had you share of fun.

But seriously, cables differ in resistance... and looks. There is nothing more to it. Measure both, and unless there are two resistors soldered somewhere inside (or the cord is way too long), there shouldn't be a huge difference in ohm. If they are close or identical, they sound the same. If the resistance differs quite a bit, like a 75 Ohm-adapter-cord people use on the ETY ER-4P to convert them to Er-4S, it actually sounds quite a bit different... you can measure these results and reproduce them with ease.

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #2,100 of 8,138

You should take that discussion to the sound science and this tread: 
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/572588/audiophile-cables-an-interesting-question/240#post_8054940 
 I have seen some absolutely ridiculous and unwise recommendation regarding cables on this forum. Like spending 500-1000 on a HD-650 cable or even more on a power cord. 
 I think this makes the hobby and this forum look bad in generall. I'm not closed to the small but important effect certain cables possibly can have on sound however, but within reason. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back