Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Apr 15, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #8,131 of 8,137
I absolutely love my HE1000 Stealth, but it doesn't surprise me at all to hear people say this. I'd hate these headphones on brighter, more clinical source gear, like SABRE DACs and ChiFi amps. They walk that line for me, of being too bright, and it won't take much to push them over that edge. But on a warmer DAC and Amp, these things absolutely bask in such pairings, and become wonderfully musical, while still maintaining phenomenal levels of detail, air, and transparency.

From a certain perspective, you could say they just tell you what your source gear sounds like. They are not forgiving. lol
I second your opinion mate! I once owned a HE1000 V2 as well, for me, its treble were indeed a bit piercing and bright at the begining, but after switching to an amplifier that could tame its highs well, its sound absolutely brilliant, I really appreciated its resolution.
I bought the non-stealth version, then they updated it with a stealth version, which, I think bass almost inherited signature of the HE1000se, really punchy as amazing.

May 1, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #8,132 of 8,137
Been a long time since I posted here.
Time for an update on the stuff I use the most.

Rankings based on a bit of everything.
Sound quality comes first, but also comfort, build quality, ergonomics and frequency of use.

• Kaldas Research Conquest RR1 + STAX SRM-313
• STAX Lambda (modified) + STAX SRM-313
• Altiat Cal.1H
• Hifiman HE-500 (modified)
• JVC HA-D1000
• JVC HA-DX1000
• JVC HA-SW01
• Sony MDR-SA3000
• Sennheiser HD650
• JVC HA-FW1800 (IEM)
• NAD RP18 (modified)
• Shure SE215 Pro (IEM)

STAX Lambda - after some tone correction it's objectively about on par with RR1, but... STAX build quality vs. RR1 is no competition.
HE-500 is objectively better than Cal.1H, but often too 'aggressive' sounding and weak treble performance.
Cal.1H is a jack of all trades. I just want to use it all the time.
MDR-SA3000 is objectively better than many of them, especially in the treble and detail department but it's not very comfortable to wear.
HD650 actually gets a lot of use and is great for full-day fatigue-free listening, but can be too 'vanilla' (boring).
SE215 Pro is at the bottom, but it's the only IEM I've ever tried that fits my ear shape flawlessly and has a very decent FR.

May 1, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #8,133 of 8,137
An update from September. I am really loving my collection now. After ten years and going through about 50 headphones so far, I have reached a pretty happy place. Not that there won't be more additions, but I am not in any rush.

My favourites are:

1) Focal Clear's (OG). W-shaped and, to me, do Everything well.

2) Grado GH2's w/BA pads. Oldest set of headphones in the collection. Amazing mids. I love vocals, guitars and even my horn jazz on these. A little bass light, but you don't notice until you compare.

3) HD660S2's. I pulled out the large foam filters and just Love these headphones. Sound best on my tube amp.

4) Arya's (V1/V2). I traded my 109 Pro"s for these and that is the BEST trade I have ever made! They may push my HE6se V2's out of my collection.

5) HiFiman HE6se V2's. When I first got these, I wanted to get the Arya's, but they were double the price. With the right amp, they are awesome.

The top four above are all I would need for years of happiness.

And the rest of the collection is:

6) FiiO FT5's. Love the look and the feel. Not sure where they fit in, sound wise.

7) Focal Radiance's. Not a huge fan of closed backs, but these have a nice sound and are Beautiful to look at.

8) CFA Cascades. Bass, bass, bass, bass, bass...Make me smile every time I put them on.

9) Koss KPH30i's. Great for working out, going for a walk or waiting somewhere. Never use in the main system, but they are my on-the-go headphone.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #8,134 of 8,137
update:
1: Focal Elgia
2: Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro with upgrade perforated pads
3: Hifiman RE800 Silver IEM
4: Fiio JH3 IEM
5: Sennheiser Momentum 1
6: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
7: Final E1000 IEM
8: Fostex TE04 IEM
9: TFS My Love 2 IEM

May 7, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #8,135 of 8,137
Tier 1:
Hifiman HE1000 v1 w/V2 earpads
Audeze LCD3 w/ Dekoni pads
Stax L500 mk2 w/ L700 pads
Sennheiser HD800S

Tier 2:
Hifiman HE500 w/ ZMF perforated leather auteur pads
Stax SR404 LE
ZMF Eikon (for sale)
Focal Clear w/ Dekoni solid suede pads (sold)

Tier 3:
Sony MDR-7520
Fostex TH600 w/ Lawton African Wenge cups and ZMF Ori pads
AKG K240 Monitor w/ ZMF solid leather auteur pads

Tier 4:
AKG K240 Studio w/ solid leather auteur pads
AKG K7XX

May 7, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #8,136 of 8,137
1. HD660S2
On paper, this headphone shouldn’t be my favorite, I tend to prefer a more clinical studio sound with a wider soundstage and more detail. But there’s just something about them that makes me reach for them all the time. They are just comfy and cosy.

2. DT1990
Relegated to 2nd place in favor of the 660S2. Will probably still be my go-to when listening on my DX3+. On my DX170 (my primary source), the treble gets too hot.

3. HD600
Will forever keep this headphone in my collection. Not as versatile as the 660S2s I find.

4. MDR-MV1
Might sell them at some point, but sometimes I just want to have fun. Extremely light weight. Nothing lightweight about that bass though. Great imaging and detail.

Honorable mentions:
Sundara, DT990, MDR-7506, KSC75. Will sell the Sundaras and DT990s, don’t need them.

May 8, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #8,137 of 8,137
From the four up for "Classical" today [Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 1 in B-Flat Major, Op. 38 "Spring"]:

AKG K501 [w/stock cable, InnerFidelity EQ]
AKG K812 [w/Arctic Cables Define hpc, Oratory 1990 EQ]
Sennheiser HD650 [w/Youkamoo 4.4mm balanced cable, Oratory 1990 EQ]
Sennheiser HD8XX [w/(full) sticker mod, Audio Envy ToneKraft hpc, Oratory 1990 EQ]

Associated gear: Violectric V222 [balanced in], XLO Signature S3-2 XLR, SMSL D400EX, (Apple Music)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Tano
Back