Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
Jul 5, 2020 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 847

immortalsoul

1000+ Head-Fier
I hope this thread to be a help for people looking to buy a dap.
Please list the best sounding daps that you heard and comment on what makes those daps a good buy for someone else.

Here is my list as of today based on my subjective sound preferences and sound quality alone. Also, please note that most of my listening is metal music and most of my listening is with iems. I own/owned all tha daps in the list.

1. Acoustic research ar-m2- positive- Great natural tonality and a great soundstage with great separation of instruments. To my preference it has an unbelievable synergy with Jh audio Roxanne performance series and Jh Audio Layla 2 Titanium sound so good that I bought a second dap just in case one is going to die on me. Sound like a desktop setup
- negative- High impedance makes the player sounds bad with some armature iem like Andromeda. It has an audible his with some sensitive headphones. It is not easy to find the best synergy.
2. Cayin N8 - positive- Great natural tonality, he tubes sound great.
- negative- The touch screen is not very responsive and the UI is very slow.
3. Calyx M- positive- The most emotional and intense dap with a wonderful warm tonality and great extension on both ends, black background. Sound sublime on some genre of music and because it is so intense it sounds overwhelming on music with a lot of instruments like some technical death metal where I feel the stage is not wide enough. It is easy to pair with a lot of different headphones. Sound like a desktop setup
- negative- battery life...
4. Shanling M8 (Sold)- positive- Great sound and the best built dap (I was really impressed with the package pressentation and the construction of the dap).
-negative- I did not like the idea of changing the ports because you have to carry more stuff with you when you are on the go.
5. Cayin N6II with T01
- positive- Nice textured and natural tonality
- negative- It was fatiguing to me to listen for long periods of time. Sound like a dap
6. Fiio M15 (Sold) - Good dap but the built si not great and for the price it doesn't even come with a case
7. Astell kern ak380 with Amp (Sold)
- See Cayin N6II. the same time of sound with even better texture. You need the amp because the dap itself is underpowered. Sound like a dap
8. Sony wm1a (Sold)
- positive- great synergy with most headphones, good neutral sound like Acoustic research ar-m2 but less refined and with a smaller soundstage. Great for people that are content with one dap due to the fact that can sound neutral or you can activate the tube option in the software and the sound warm up.
- negative- is is underpowered. Sound like a dap
9. Ibasso DX200 - I had the Amp 9, Amp 7, Amp 1 and Amp 5 ( Sold)
-positive- Interesting concept with the possibility to change amps. Good detail and resolution
- negative- I tried to like it but it never pulled me into music
10. Opus #3 ( See Cayin N6II with the difference that is not fatiguing to listen)
11. Acoustic research ar-m20 - positive- easier to find a good synergy with many headphones, great sounding player only outshined by it's big brother. Sound as good as the 3_ 7 in the list.
- negative- it has a big brother that makes people feel that is not worth trying
12. Questyle qp1r (Sold) - positive- Great detail and resolution
- negative- The operating weel is horrible, sound analytical and sterile
13. Fiio x7 mark Il (Sold)
14. Cowon Plenue P1 (Sold) -positive- like all Cowon daps it have the Jet effect
- negative- sound boring
I owned all this daps.
When I have some time I will update the list with some thoughts about each dap
In the image from left to right: Calyx M, Acoustic Research AR-M2, Cayin N8 and Sony WM1Z
20220202_155045.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 847
Top tier
ORIOLUS DP100
XUELIN 1969 TUBE DAP

Daily beat makers:
Shanling M3
OPUS#1
XUELIN 770
---
@memory abyss
Aune m1.
Shanling m2.
Shanling m5.
--
Bottom list:
HIBY R3
COLORFLY C10

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 847
1) The Sony Walkman 1Z

Came out (in 2016) when many members were experiencing puberty in high school. A lifetime ago (in DAP years).....no streaming, no video? Strange proprietary cable, not even used by Sony anymore! Gets pretty loud but not the most powerful?

Yet even now-a-days it offers a special tone and soul separating itself from the pack. Listenable and fun. Simply taking any digital coldness and adding accessible warmth and detail. Smooth and easy operation along with a giant software base custom tuned by the Walkman Enthusiast Community. How many firmwares do you want? How many different tones and personalities do you want to explore? Did you want bigger soundstage, more treble? Custom fan-made firmware offers a world of different experiences to explore. There is no right or wrong except what you want and what fits with your personal sound signature preferences and IEMs.

A complete aftermarket enthusiast commercial community offering physical capacitor and wiring change outs. Home brew enthusiasts changing capacitors in their bedroom. Companies offering a professional level of aftermarket modifications bringing the Walkman 1Z or 1A to a completely different level.

Firmware DSEE HX, Vinyl playback emulation, direct DSD in 4.4mm balanced. 4.4mm balanced offering a more ergonomic handling of plug insertion. A stronger unbendable plug offering better contact area.

And the list goes on and on.

Cheers!

2) Sony Walkman 1A both stock and modded.

A different tune than the 1Z. Less treble and less bass tone. A complementary experience that can add contrast and character to 1Z ownership. It’s own style of bass and soundstage.

3) FiiO M11

4) Sony ZX300

5) Various Shanling DAPs....models not noted?

6) Also varieties of downline Sony DAPs, models not noted?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 847
Loto Paw 6000.- Fastest OS, Start up in just 3 to 5 seconds including library scan, neutral sound signature, with good soundstage, battery life and portability.
Sony WM1A.- Perfect UI simple but fail proof, balanced sound signature, posibility of flash custom firmware for sound improvement to your taste, robust build quality and long battery life.
Calyx M.- Excelent sound performance on detail and power, born 7 years ago and it’s sound performance are near to the best daps present day.
Lotoo Paw 5000 Mkii.- Portable size, reference sound quality, but the best is the ATE function that can change the timbre of that earphone you don’t like.
Shanling M6.- Fast and smooth performance, powerful amp section with a good level of detial retrieval, intimate soundstage, and excelent battery life, average 10 hours.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 847
As per the OP this is purely based on SQ across numerous IEMs.

1) Cayin N8
2) Cayin n6ii + E01
3) Questyle QP2R
4) Cayin n6ii + A01
5) Sony WM1A
6) Cowon Plenue R2
7) AK sr15
8) Fiio M9
9) Sony ZX300
10) Shanling M0
11) Fiio X3ii

Daps I most want to hear: Plenue S, WM1Z, sr25, Kann Cube

Edit: I forgot I heard the N8 last summer.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 847
Based on subjective impressions of how they made me feel about the music and not necessarily technicalities nor user interface

1) Hifiman R2R2000 Black (usually use with IEMs,)
2) Lotoo Paw Gold
3) Lotoo Paw Gold Touch (generally good with all my headphones and IEMs, though a little dry/boring with the Aeons)
4) Luxury & Precision LP6Ti (only use with headphones - good with Utopias, Auteur & MHP1000)
5) Cayin N8 (solid state balanced with Utopia, tube for NT-6)
6) Sony WM1A
7) Fiio M15 (good synergy with Aeons, with Cascades bass becomes a bit overpowering for my liking)
8) Ibasso DX200
9) Astell & Kern SP1000M
10) Fiio M11Pro
11) Astell & Kern AK380
12) Hiby R3Pro (generally use for BT)

but recommendations for buying would be based on the whole package - I love the sound of the R2R but the firmware, software ,user interface, support makes it a harder recommendation to spend money on!

haven't tried the Sony WM1Z

Headphones
Focal Utopia
McIntosh MHP 1000
ZMF Auteur
Mr Speakers Aeon Closed
Campfire Cascade

IEMS
Hidition NT-6 custom
Meze Rai Solo
AAW ASH
Shure KSE1500

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 847
1.- Cayin N8.
2.- Sony WM1Z
3.- LPGT
The Cayin had the best sound of all the DAP’s I tried before I made my purchase. It has the power to drive most anything with great detail and sounds like the real thing. You can also connect to its tube output for a bit smoother presentation. Its 4.4 solid state output is stunning. A great match with the Elysium among other IEM’s.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 847
1) The Sony Walkman 1Z

Came out (in 2016) when many members were experiencing puberty in high school. A lifetime ago (in DAP years).....no streaming, no video? Strange proprietary cable, not even used by Sony anymore! Gets pretty loud but not the most powerful?

Yet even now-a-days it offers a special tone and soul separating itself from the pack. Listenable and fun. Simply taking any digital coldness and adding accessible warmth and detail. Smooth and easy operation along with a giant software base custom tuned by the Walkman Enthusiast Community. How many firmwares do you want? How many different tones and personalities do you want to explore? Did you want bigger soundstage, more treble? Custom fan-made firmware offers a world of different experiences to explore. There is no right or wrong except what you want and what fits with your personal sound signature preferences and IEMs.

A complete aftermarket enthusiast commercial community offering physical capacitor and wiring change outs. Home brew enthusiasts changing capacitors in their bedroom. Companies offering a professional level of aftermarket modifications bringing the Walkman 1Z or 1A to a completely different level.

Firmware DSEE HX, Vinyl playback emulation, direct DSD in 4.4mm balanced. 4.4mm balanced offering a more ergonomic handling of plug insertion. A stronger unbendable plug offering better contact area.

And the list goes on and on.

Cheers!

2) Sony Walkman 1A both stock and modded.

A different tune than the 1Z. Less treble and less bass tone. A complementary experience that can add contrast and character to 1Z ownership. It’s own style of bass and soundstage.

3) FiiO M11

4) Sony ZX300

5) Various Shanling DAPs....models not noted?

6) Also varieties of downline Sony DAPs, models not noted?
Nothing to add....

Only heard the Z1 for a short term.... however, this was very impressive. I am quite happy with my nw-wm1a... But who knows, if there's an opportunity for upgrading to the 1Z...??

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 847
WM1Z - (IER Z1R)

N6ii - E01
(Ier Z1r.... Also andromeda&n6ii sounded like a better Paring than andro&1Z pairing)

Mojo-Poly - (Andro/FH7)

M11 - (Andromeda)

The 1Z takes the cake! The N6ii isn’t terribly far off to my ears but the 1Z is just more refined in all areas. It’s a bit less punchy but a more mature player.... It’s just got the special tone to it that places it above. Extremely reliable software, no bugs, no random shutdowns .... Great Battery! Definitely worth it but the N6ii is no slump and an alternative for much less money

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 847
Some may disagree, but here's my list.

1. Sony DMP Z1 (MDR Z1R/Stellia best synergy)
2. Cayin N8 (Cascade/MDR Z7 best synergy, those tubes are CRAZY good)
3. Sony WM1Z (MDR Z1R/IER Z1R best synergy)
4. Shanling M5S (IER Z1R/Cascade best synergy)
5. Sony WM1A (MDR Z1R/IER Z1R best synergy)

Runner-up: Cayin N6ii

There is a large gap between Z1 and N8. N8 and 1Z is down to personal preference, heck sometimes the 1Z is better for certain genres, but I feel Cayin tuned the N8 better overall. The M5s has some mysterious quality that is better than the 'flatter' WM1A.

Edit: As pointed out, providing headphones/IEMs used could be useful for fellow readers. All DAP's were evaluated with Campfire Cascade, IER Z1R, IER M9, Focal Stellia, MDR Z1R, MDR Z7. The MDR Z1R (favorite headphone of all time) and Cascade got the most head time with most consistent listening times. Critical listening (with reference tracks) are done with Stellia and IER Z1R.
All DAP's listed can drive the gear well, however the DMP Z1 has an unfair advantage given its form factor.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #13 of 847
Guys,
I think could interesting to get the information of the used headphones too, i'd say the " combo" of dap + headphone It brougt to your Better listening...

@immortalsoul

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 847
Guys,
I think could interesting to get the information of the used headphones too, i'd say the " combo" of dap + headphone It brougt to your Better listening...

@immortalsoul
I completely agree with you. I own the n8, Sp2k, wm1z, wm1a and lpgt. It’s all about synergy.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 847
Some may disagree, but here's my list.

1. Sony DMP Z1 (MDR Z1R/Stellia best synergy)
2. Cayin N8 (Cascade/MDR Z7 best synergy, those tubes are CRAZY good)
3. Sony WM1Z (MDR Z1R/IER Z1R best synergy)
4. Shanling M5S (IER Z1R/Cascade best synergy)
5. Sony WM1A (MDR Z1R/IER Z1R best synergy)

Runner-up: Cayin N6ii

There is a large gap between Z1 and N8. N8 and 1Z is down to personal preference, heck sometimes the 1Z is better for certain genres, but I feel Cayin tuned the N8 better overall. The M5s has some mysterious quality that is better than the 'flatter' WM1A.

Edit: As pointed out, providing headphones/IEMs used could be useful for fellow readers. All DAP's were evaluated with Campfire Cascade, IER Z1R, IER M9, Focal Stellia, MDR Z1R, MDR Z7. The MDR Z1R (favorite headphone of all time) and Cascade got the most head time with most consistent listening times. Critical listening (with reference tracks) are done with Stellia and IER Z1R.
All DAP's listed can drive the gear well, however the DMP Z1 has an unfair advantage given its form factor.

I am curious about the DMP-Z1, but it’s a big chunk of $. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back