Questyle QP1
Nov 24, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #2,612 of 4,272

I may need to ask for commission...
biggrin.gif

It's on the main page now.

Jude had mentioned it in the AK380 forum.

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #2,615 of 4,272
Thanks for the feedback guys, my mind is made up. Just need to find a shop in the UK who stocks it.

Good choice, I have it along mojo with dx80 and am still thinking if I can save money and return it to Amazon,but I have to agree with others here, it is very likely the best so far.out of all of them.wheel is a small pain,huge shame they didn't put something on it to make it stick to your thumb better, but it is manageable and it is a very special sound I've not heard from paw,ak,Sony,Fiio or ibasso,they all sound a bit wooden, as in artificial,less natural next to it.
Only mojo comes close, but id still have to give the edge to Qp1r, my gf also preferred it on a blind test:blush:
I do enjoy my new dx80 with mojo tremendously too tho..

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #2,618 of 4,272
  Where does the QP1R fall in terms of SQ? I'm coming ZX2, N6, P1, AK100ii, Lotoo Paw Gold, DX90 and would like to try something new. I was going to go for the Chord Mojo but after reading reviews on the QP1R, I'm starting to change my mind.

Is the QPR1 a challenger to the AK240 and 380 from a sound point only?

I listened to the full AK380 with amp and  B & W  headphones at Canjam London and was . . . underwhelmed. Admittedly it was  with music I wasn't familiar with and though it didn't sound bad it didn't sound like it was anywhere near worth the £5K asking price. I also heard, the QP1R and was sufficiently impressed that I recently  purchased it. I have only had about 20 hours use of it so can't comment about whether it improves for a substantial break in period. Out of the box I would say it does emphasise leading edges, which could lead to the initial  impression that it is slightly lean sounding, but that calms down with use. I have to say I'm very happy with the sound quality, it has just the right combination of detail, body (after a bit of break in) and speed for me. What I really like is the ability to follow different strands of a piece of music, it also allows you to hear how the musicians are playing those strands and interacting without the piece falling apart.

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #2,619 of 4,272

Talk to Phil from Custom Cable. He's stocking it.

Thank you, I'll drop him a line.

Good choice, I have it along mojo with dx80 and am still thinking if I can save money and return it to Amazon,but I have to agree with others here, it is very likely the best so far.out of all of them.wheel is a small pain,huge shame they didn't put something on it to make it stick to your thumb better, but it is manageable and it is a very special sound I've not heard from paw,ak,Sony,Fiio or ibasso,they all sound a bit wooden, as in artificial,less natural next to it.
Only mojo comes close, but id still have to give the edge to Qp1r, my gf also preferred it on a blind test:blush:
I do enjoy my new dx80 with mojo tremendously too tho..

Thanks Emil, I know you've been through a few DAP's and know what you like having a musicians ear. So that's great to hear coming from you.

I listened to the full AK380 with amp and  B & W  headphones at Canjam London and was . . . underwhelmed. Admittedly it was  with music I wasn't familiar with and though it didn't sound bad it didn't sound like it was anywhere near worth the £5K asking price. I also heard, the QP1R and was sufficiently impressed that I recently  purchased it. I have only had about 20 hours use of it so can't comment about whether it improves for a substantial break in period. Out of the box I would say it does emphasise leading edges, which could lead to the initial  impression that it is slightly lean sounding, but that calms down with use. I have to say I'm very happy with the sound quality, it has just the right combination of detail, body (after a bit of break in) and speed for me. What I really like is the ability to follow different strands of a piece of music, it also allows you to hear how the musicians are playing those strands and interacting without the piece falling apart.

Thanks. It really does sound like my kind of player and looking forward to picking one up. P.S. Thanks for the heads up on the stocking date at Custom Cable.

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #2,620 of 4,272
Thank you, I'll drop him a line.

Thanks Emil, I know you've been through a few DAP's and know what you like having a musicians ear. So that's great to hear coming from you.

Thanks. It really does sound like my kind of player and looking forward to picking one up. P.S. Thanks for the heads up on the stocking date at Custom Cable.

Amazon should have it in case custom cable doesn't. But wait is about a week since it comes from germany

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #2,621 of 4,272
New review just out from Audiophilia: http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/
"I assume all the new, expensive players can suspend time and place given the right recording and circumstances. Both the Astell and the Questyle do it easily. If design is as important as sound, then you may well choose Astell if pushed, but if sound is trumps, then the Questyle QP1R is the kit for you. If the Astell & Kern players are the Rolex of the digital audio player world (and Astell is now up to its AK380 and four times the price of the QP1R), Questyle is surely the Omega. A wonderful product and very highly recommended," concludes Anthony Kershaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back