Q701 impressions thread
Apr 9, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #6,481 of 9,603
You should plug in the old way and get your normal volume then match it on the new one so as not to mistaken the fuller sound for loudness. It's only normal to crank a new amp higher when you first get it and realize that you're driving at a higher volume which can be perceived as better sounding.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #6,482 of 9,603
You should plug in the old way and get your normal volume then match it on the new one so as not to mistaken the fuller sound for loudness. It's only normal to crank a new amp higher when you first get it and realize that you're driving at a higher volume which can be perceived as better sounding.

Yup, I've heard that before.  I have to see if I can figure out how to use my SPL meter with the headphones so I can get a good match.

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #6,483 of 9,603
Congratulations Stillhart. Not bad for a first amp. When I first plugged into my O2 it was like the curtain had been thrown open and the stage was right there. Great feeling. Enjoy yourself.

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #6,484 of 9,603
Well my Matrix M-stage HPA-1 just arrived today!  I have no real point of reference for comparison as this is my first headphone amp.  Previously, I was running right out of my Sound Blaster Omni (and Recon before that).  Now I'm using the DAC on the Omni and RCA outs to the amp.  So far so good.

It's hard to explain the effect.  Things feel... less watered down?  More present?  It sounds like this is the way the headphones were meant to be heard.  I don't have much experience describing this stuff so I'm struggling.  Soundstage feels more defined, but I think that because the instruments just feel bigger/fuller now.

Even the bass feels better, more present but still nice and controlled.  I'm really really digging this!

The other thing I'm noticing is that super subtle things like fake record needle noises are more obvious.  I actually really don't like that fake vintage sound on these really clean and detailed headphones. 

Anyhow, thumbs up for now!  I can't wait to work my way through some of my regular albums to put this thing through its paces.

The Matrix is a good amp.
I would think your first impressions are very accurate.
It is a full sounding, but clear, open sounding amp.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #6,485 of 9,603
EDIT: Also, this is my solution to the headband bumps. Before I bought the Q701, I read about the complaints about the bumps but I didn't think it would be THAT bad...   but on my balding head, it was very uncomfortable.

Lol! Those are also what I use to pad my AKGs. I use the fuzzy side out, but the cloth isn't bad either.

For example, I found that an E17 was not as open sounding and detailed as an iBasso D12 DAC.
The Beresford Bushmaster Mk II is even more detailed than the iBasso D12.

Hmm, I want to look into this Beresford. Do they make a stand-alone DAC? I'm actually seeking an optical-input DAC, though I may also go for the Schiit one Stillhart mentioned.

Well my Matrix M-stage HPA-1 just arrived today!

"... Feels like this is the way the Q701 was meant to be heard."
So now you know. You know why we say the Q does sound very good plugged into a typical headphone jack, but you aren't doing the headphone justice till you get a better amp. Now you know why we say the sound changes a little bit, but that bit can make all the difference. Right? :D

You are no longer my padawan, but I am proud to stand with you as Jedi Knight.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #6,486 of 9,603
^ I use almost the exact thing myself to pad the bumps.  Only difference is, mine is homemade.  Essentially my wife sewed a pocket that I stuff a folded strip of memory foam in.  This way, when the memory foam eventually loses its padding, I can just pull it out and put a new piece in.

I did the same thing for my HE-500 as well to help cushion and distribute the weight better (it's 3.5 inches wide :))

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #6,487 of 9,603
  Well my Matrix M-stage HPA-1 just arrived today!  I have no real point of reference for comparison as this is my first headphone amp.  Previously, I was running right out of my Sound Blaster Omni (and Recon before that).  Now I'm using the DAC on the Omni and RCA outs to the amp.  So far so good.

It's hard to explain the effect.  Things feel... less watered down?  More present?  It sounds like this is the way the headphones were meant to be heard.  I don't have much experience describing this stuff so I'm struggling.  Soundstage feels more defined, but I think that because the instruments just feel bigger/fuller now.

Even the bass feels better, more present but still nice and controlled.  I'm really really digging this!

The other thing I'm noticing is that super subtle things like fake record needle noises are more obvious.  I actually really don't like that fake vintage sound on these really clean and detailed headphones. 

Anyhow, thumbs up for now!  I can't wait to work my way through some of my regular albums to put this thing through its paces.

Next step is rolling different opamps :)

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #6,488 of 9,603

Next step is rolling different opamps :)

Actually, I think it's got different opamps in it already.  No, next step for me is a DAC.  I'm waiting impatiently for the new Schiit one that's supposed to be in between the Bifrost and the Modi.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #6,491 of 9,603
I emailed them to ask if they had something cheaper than the Bifrost with optical in and they said its coming soon.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #6,494 of 9,603
Did you ask if it'll have USB as well or is that a given?

Honestly I didn't ask because I wouldn't use it. There are a hundred USB dacs in the modi price range. Almost none with optical...

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #6,495 of 9,603
Honestly I didn't ask because I wouldn't use it. There are a hundred USB dacs in the modi price range. Almost none with optical...

If you're really hurting for a DAC with optical you could pick up a FiiO D3 (24/192), it can be had for like 30USD and is very good at that price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back