Q701 impressions thread
Oct 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #4,036 of 9,602

I don't find this to be true. It probably just sounds this way compared to the overdampened way it sounded before. To me it still sounds tight and impactful, except now it actually has a linear bottom end. 

If it sounds "looser and less controlled" it's probably that way in the recording yet the stock Q701 isn't too revealing of this.
I can find a recording with bloated bass and switch to the HD-650 or DJ100 and it sounds the same way. Kind of neat being able to do this and hearing my modded Q701 reproduce bloated bass
biggrin.gif

I was listening to a U2 recording yesterday and my DJ100 and HD-650 sounded like some sort of headphone for bassheads. With U2? Huh?! Some U2 recordings are AWFUL!

Pretty impressive how when I have issues with my modded Q701 or DJ100 it's 99% the recording's fault. You know I can actually hear harsh songs on my Q701 and still hear that on the HD-650(!)
They're never made any worse. Some headphones seem to make poor (harsh/excessively bright) recordings easier on the ears. The 598 and HD-650 do this a little due to reduced treble.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #4,037 of 9,602
If it sounds "looser and less controlled" it's probably that way in the recording yet the stock Q701 isn't too revealing of this.
I can find a recording with bloated bass and switch to the HD-650 or DJ100 and it sounds the same way. Kind of neat being able to do this and hearing my modded Q701 reproduce bloated bass :D
I was listening to a U2 recording yesterday and my DJ100 and HD-650 sounded like some sort of headphone for bassheads. With U2? Huh?! Some U2 recordings are AWFUL!

Pretty impressive how when I have issues with my modded Q701 or DJ100 it's 99% the recording's fault. You know I can actually hear harsh songs on my Q701 and still hear that on the HD-650(!)
They're never made any worse. Some headphones seem to make poor (harsh/excessively bright) recordings easier on the ears. The 598 and HD-650 do this a little due to reduced treble.

+1

In fact, the Q701 is the only headphone I have that reproduce better the bass of certain songs. Good example is Radioactive of Imagine Dragons. That bass sounds horrible in any other headphone I have. In the Q701 is still bloated but much better detailed and separated.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #4,038 of 9,602

Listened through few EDM tracks, initial impression is that bass extends a bit deeper with a bit more thump. Feels like drivers are getting more air to breathe, the bass has more body to it but at the same time it feels looser and less controlled.

I'll go against the tide on this and agree with you. I thought this mod had interesting changes, but ultimately the reduction in midrange along with the looser bass wasn't a good combo for me

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #4,039 of 9,602
Just got a pair of these, and love the way they sound, but I did not expect the pads to be the most uncomfortable thing ever. There's almost zero give to the pads. The headband bumps are minor compared to the pressure it puts on my cheekbones and jaw. The pair I've got now is brand new, so my question is will the pads break in?

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #4,040 of 9,602

I'll go against the tide on this and agree with you. I thought this mod had interesting changes, but ultimately the reduction in midrange along with the looser bass wasn't a good combo for me

Didn't you say you only tried one side? You should have tried it for a much longer period of time if it was a short test.

If we all had lesser mids nearly all of us would have reversed it by now. I don't want my Q701 being any closer to the K701 
biggrin.gif
  Maybe you mean upper mids.

No major changes other than fuller mids and more bass (not tons of extra low-bass). You'd think it would be impossible to get fuller mids without them being shoved forward too much. They're fuller but yet even clearer. How does that even happen?

There is also no magical mid-bass hump that sticks out and annoys me.

I really need to compare the modded Q701 to the HD-650 more. Now my Q701 is almost as full sounding as my HD-650! Maybe not like the Annie, but that's a good thing.

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #4,041 of 9,602
  Just got a pair of these, and love the way they sound, but I did not expect the pads to be the most uncomfortable thing ever. There's almost zero give to the pads. The headband bumps are minor compared to the pressure it puts on my cheekbones and jaw. The pair I've got now is brand new, so my question is will the pads break in?

Yes they will over time. I agree the Q701 pads are a little stiffer compared to older K701 or the K702 anniversary, but they do break in with time. 

Didn't you say you only tried one side? You should have tried it for a much longer period of time if it was a short test.

If we all had lesser mids nearly all of us would have reversed it by now. I don't want my Q701 being any closer to the K701 
biggrin.gif
  Maybe you mean upper mids.

No major changes other than fuller mids and more bass (not tons of extra low-bass). You'd think it would be impossible to get fuller mids without them being shoved forward too much. They're fuller but yet even clearer. How does that even happen?

There is also no magical mid-bass hump that sticks out and annoys me.

I really need to compare the modded Q701 to the HD-650 more. Now my Q701 is almost as full sounding as my HD-650! Maybe not like the Annie, but that's a good thing.

If you never compared the two side by side you'd never notice the withdrawn midrange. However, after testing one cup to the other, it would stick out like a sore thumb and really irritate me. 

The subbass is interesting, but IMO, the anniversary sounds smoother across the midrange while adding the subbass bump. The Mod almost started making the Q701 sound like the DT990 
eek.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #4,042 of 9,602

Agreed, and I fixed that with the "foam mod."  People who don't like the fully open bass port should try a piece of foam (stiffer proved better for me) over the port.  I didn't even bother to tape it down, as it's in there quite snugly.

Here's an interesting A/B album test I just did.  Yesterday Rush released a remixed version of 2002's Vapor Trails.  As some might know, the original suffered mightily from a brutal mix and even more brutal mastering.  Geddy Lee takes most of the blame, so he was pretty motivated to get a good mix/mastering done.  I listened to the original CD, which has a different mastering than the 24/96 version available at HDTracks.  It is truly harsh on the foam-modded Q701, as it is on any set of cans or speakers.  Unavoidable.  Then I listened to the remixed version.  Wow.  It's like a brand new album of totally familiar songs!  But the best thing about it on the foam-modded Q701 is the thump & growl (Thump & Growl... I'm copyrighting that! :wink:  It's not just the bass, which is more prominent in the mix (leave it to bass player to approve that! :wink:  but the guitars on certain songs, and the overall sound.

I don't want this to be a rave review of that album, but about what others (I'm looking at you, tdock :) are saying about good recordings vs. bad recordings on these cans.  Whereas the flaws of the original CD are quite evident on the Q701, the remix was SO easy to listen to.  I could even adjust the volume (mostly UP) and not cringe and want to take them off.  And while there is plenty of Thump & Growl (thank you, foam :p ), all the nuances that were recorded, then distorted and compressed out of existence, were suddenly given room to breathe.  A lot of this is acoustic guitar, mandola, and fun little guitar flourishes.

So yeah, get that album, enjoy, and above all, MOD those babies, be it with foam or not.

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #4,043 of 9,602

Yes they will over time. I agree the Q701 pads are a little stiffer compared to older K701 or the K702 anniversary, but they do break in with time. 

If you never compared the two side by side you'd never notice the withdrawn midrange. However, after testing one cup to the other, it would stick out like a sore thumb and really irritate me. 

The subbass is interesting, but IMO, the anniversary sounds smoother across the midrange while adding the subbass bump. The Mod almost started making the Q701 sound like the DT990 
eek.gif

I don't really think this bolded part is true. IMO it would be stupid easy to hear when something is not right. Especially when you've had the Q701 for years and know it's sound signature inside and out. The soundstage differences may add to confusion and make it sound like recessed mids. IMO just hearing one side is not good enough to form an opinion.

Saying the mod makes it sound closer to the DT-990 is just so way off the mark and inaccurate to me. Anyone who says this obviously didn't really try the mod or tried it for just 10 minutes or less. I'm sorry to say this, but that's just my opinion. Not trying to argue. There is not a dramatic difference in it's sound signature. Just in the bass and how full the mids are. The slight bass increase isn't enough to make the mids withdrawn IMO. Not saying you didn't really hear it like this, but it's just weird to me.

To me there is no that much of a a boost in sub-bass. A little..I doubt it's more than 2db.

I don't understand why people say the Annie is smoother. I think the Annie is much more forward in nature and shouty in the lower mids. I think it has less less upper mids (some say it has more!) and treble so maybe that's why they say it. There is some music that will sound smoother on the Annie and others that sound smoother on the Q701. I'm actually more bothered by the forward low mids of the Annie. The stock or modded Q701 never makes harsh/bright recordings sound worse to my ears. If the recording is not meant to sound smooth on neutral gear than I don't want my headphone fixing it for me.

Now you tried the mod with the Q701 and not the Annie right? You should go back and try again, but I know you won't do that and that's OK.

I hope someone can measure the modded Q701 sometime! Haha maybe it will measure totally different than stock or with very little change. My guess is that the measured differences will be smaller than we think they are. I can't hear a single change in the treble quantity. The mids don't sound any more recessed or forward which is bizarre and makes no sense. If there's more than 2db increase in very low bass i'll be shocked.

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #4,044 of 9,602

I don't really think this bolded part is true. IMO it would be stupid easy to hear when something is not right. Especially when you've had the Q701 for years and know it's sound signature inside and out. The soundstage differences may add to confusion and make it sound like recessed mids. IMO just hearing one side is not good enough to form an opinion.

Saying the mod makes it sound closer to the DT-990 is just so way off the mark and inaccurate to me. Anyone who says this obviously didn't really try the mod or tried it for just 10 minutes or less. I'm sorry to say this, but that's just my opinion. Not trying to argue. There is not a dramatic difference in it's sound signature. Just in the bass and how full the mids are. The slight bass increase isn't enough to make the mids withdrawn IMO. Not saying you didn't really hear it like this, but it's just weird to me.

To me there is no that much of a a boost in sub-bass. A little..I doubt it's more than 2db.

I don't understand why people say the Annie is smoother. I think the Annie is much more forward in nature and shouty in the lower mids. I think it has less less upper mids (some say it has more!) and treble so maybe that's why they say it. There is some music that will sound smoother on the Annie and others that sound smoother on the Q701. I'm actually more bothered by the forward low mids of the Annie. The stock or modded Q701 never makes harsh/bright recordings sound worse to my ears. If the recording is not meant to sound smooth on neutral gear than I don't want my headphone fixing it for me.

Now you tried the mod with the Q701 and not the Annie right? You should go back and try again, but I know you won't do that and that's OK.

I hope someone can measure the modded Q701 sometime! Haha maybe it will measure totally different than stock or with very little change. My guess is that the measured differences will be smaller than we think they are. I can't hear a single change in the treble quantity. The mids don't sound any more recessed or forward which is bizarre and makes no sense. If there's more than 2db increase in very low bass i'll be shocked.

Right, so seems like everyone is out to make their own point instead of seriously reading and considering what other people have said. Seems to be the new trend on head-fi.

It's hard to suggest that the differences I heard when comparing the two cups side by side are incorrect vs someone doing the complete mod and then going off of memory. As I clearly stated, unless you're comparing the two cups side by side you wouldn't be able to tell. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #4,045 of 9,602
How long do the earpads on the Q701 last? Do they deteriorate? Start to lose their cushion? Does it start to sound worse because of this?

My a900x earpads actually molded to the shape of my head which is very nice, I wonder if the q701 earpads will do the same...

I've read around here that eventually the earpads start losing their damping, however I'm not sure how bad this will be for velour earpads.

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #4,046 of 9,602

Right, so seems like everyone is out to make their own point instead of seriously reading and considering what other people have said. Seems to be the new trend on head-fi.

It's hard to suggest that the differences I heard when comparing the two cups side by side are incorrect vs someone doing the complete mod and then going off of memory. As I clearly stated, unless you're comparing the two cups side by side you wouldn't be able to tell. 

I'd like to point out that your method is also flawed. I have tried this approach and the results were indeed disappointing, much worse than having both drivers set up the same way - this is probably because the two drivers emit sound with different characteristics and the signals that mix in your head are incoherent. The result is very poor imaging resolution and loose bass. 

A lot of what we hear is very subjective - it depends on our hearing, mood, and the gear we're using. Most people here are very happy with the results of the mod, so please let them enjoy it.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #4,050 of 9,602
Even a small amp helps. I have a pa2v2 and they actually sound good out of that and it's $60 new. Find something in that price range used and you'll be fine until you get a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back