Q701 impressions thread
Sep 30, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #4,006 of 9,602
Please let me know what you find out. I recall from experience that the Nano will not send sound information through the USB port. For example I was unable to use it with the DAC on my old Glow. (The new Glow model which I am getting has an outboard DAC instead).

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #4,008 of 9,602
Thanks for the tips, there.  No, the Nano is just a standard iPod, in mini-form.  Hopefully, the DAC I am getting with my new Glow will work with the Nano.  Otherwise I will try it with my phone, but the battery on phones are so hard to keep going just for regular stuff (like calling - anyone do that with their phone these days?  Remember calling?) that I hate to use it for a music player as well.  That's why I still keep my Nano around.  Plus, it works seamlessly with iTunes of course, which I'm still wedded to.

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #4,009 of 9,602
I really appreciated the section in the thread about the Q 701 mod. Looks like I'll be doing that.

However, I'm also wondering about a cable upgrade. Something from moon audio perhaps? But I'd like to know what the typical experiences have been.

It's a big investment, like 200 bucks or more. So I'm wondering if any improvement is really heard, and if it's truly worth the extra money.

I love the headphones as they are stock, but any improvement of course is gravy. I'm running this from a glow audio amp one tube amp. Between the quality amp and the quality headphones, why not invest in a quality cable?

However I don't want to blow the cash if it's a waste of money.

Can you solder? Do you like to experiment a bit?

Be a cheap skate!
I bought a Pipeline 1/8" to 1/8" phone jack cable.
I cut one of the ends off and soldered on a mini XLR.
And now I have a different headphone cable for my Qs.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #4,010 of 9,602
I went to a head-fi meetup yesterday and brought along my modded Q701's. Everyone was blown away by them. People who own T1's, HD800's and LCD 3's couldn't put them down. I'm so happy with these headphones.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #4,011 of 9,602
I went to a head-fi meetup yesterday and brought along my modded Q701's. Everyone was blown away by them. People who own T1's, HD800's and LCD 3's couldn't put them down. I'm so happy with these headphones.

The Dallas one? Shame I missed it... Anything remarkable? Did you try the HE-500?

Man, I got used to the modded Q701 and I think is near perfect now. Perfect bass, almost perfect mids and treble... I'm considering buying another used pair for my office.

Sep 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #4,012 of 9,602

The Dallas one? Shame I missed it... Anything remarkable? Did you try the HE-500?

Man, I got used to the modded Q701 and I think is near perfect now. Perfect bass, almost perfect mids and treble... I'm considering buying another used pair for my office.

Yep dallas meet! I got to listen to the HE-500's on a couple different amps. Sounded great with the Lyr and Yulong DAC.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #4,014 of 9,602
Wow, that simple bass mod does so much for the Q701?  Can't wait to try it! 
popcorn.gif

Thanks Chris, nice idea!

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #4,015 of 9,602

did you try the t1 or hd800? Can you compare them with the modded q701?

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #4,016 of 9,602
Okay. You guys got me conviced with the bass port mod. The idea has been running around in my head f or months now. Other than removing the sticker, whats the consensus on the foam (replace, remove, etc). Anything else I should do while I have it opened?

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #4,018 of 9,602
did you try the t1 or hd800? Can you compare them with the modded q701?

I listened to both out of the same source/amp and while I can't give a 100% thorough review due to the conditions (noisy atmosphere) I'm honestly blown away at how good the modded Q's are. It's almost absurd honestly. Someone there had LCD3's out of a B22 and we were A/B'ing both cans since it's dual output. I would put on one set while he had another and we'd switch every minute or so and we were both shocked. It was his pair of HD800's, T1's and LCD3's on that amp and I'm pretty sure he's going to buy a set of these now. I can't be too thorough but I can tell you that the soundstage and imaging was more vast and precise on the Q's than the LCD3's. That could be because of the way they fit though, the LCD3's have a weird seal even though they're open. The leather pads really clamp you into the music. The HD800's were awesome and are really comfy but I didn't like the bass extension and the highs were a little weird for me. I think vocals sound better on the Q's. I'm not saying the Q's are better, I just think that spending $1200+ on headphones gives you very little of an upgrade for what you get. After hearing all of the equipment at the meet, if I didn't already own these headphones I would honestly be happy paying $600 for them.

Oh and I tried on k702 anniversary and they aren't as good as the modded Q's although the earpads are INSANELY comfy. I really want a pair now but last I heard they were like $60? 

Okay. You guys got me conviced with the bass port mod. The idea has been running around in my head f or months now. Other than removing the sticker, whats the consensus on the foam (replace, remove, etc). Anything else I should do while I have it opened?

just remove the sticker, don't mess with the foam.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #4,019 of 9,602

Oh and I tried on k702 anniversary and they aren't as good as the modded Q's although the earpads are INSANELY comfy. I really want a pair now but last I heard they were like $60? 

just remove the sticker, don't mess with the foam.

I agree. Modded Q701 and even stock Q701 is much better than the Anniversary. A few people  say the Q701 + Annie pads is 99% identical to the Anniversary so I wouldn't suggest getting the pads.

Somehow they might actually sound better with the modded Q701 than the stock version!

I paid $70 for my Annie pads back earlier in the year but they've gone down in price a little.

You should try to get some K712 pads if you do want memory foam. They're a little different but somehow have the same part #.

I'm not a fan of the Annie pads because they make the Q701 sound too dark and congested. I lost some airiness and the low mids are too forward.

I swear that the modded Q701 is a way better improvement than getting an actual Anniversary Edition.

Now what people need to find out is if the modded Q701 is better than the K712. I know it all depends on preferences. I wonder if the K712 has more or less bass than the modded Q701?

I wonder if the modded Q701 has some of things people love about the K712?

I really would like to hear if the K712 has fuller mids than the modded Q701. I bet the modded Q701 has fuller mids and is actually clearer. Just guessing though!

Thought it'd be impossible to retain the stock Q701s treble AND improve bass quantity.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #4,020 of 9,602
Lol. Just don't post that last statement in the k712 thread. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back