Q701 impressions thread
Oct 2, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #4,052 of 9,602

I'd like to point out that your method is also flawed. I have tried this approach and the results were indeed disappointing, much worse than having both drivers set up the same way - this is probably because the two drivers emit sound with different characteristics and the signals that mix in your head are incoherent. The result is very poor imaging resolution and loose bass.

+1

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #4,053 of 9,602
I'd like to point out that your method is also flawed. I have tried this approach and the results were indeed disappointing, much worse than having both drivers set up the same way - this is probably because the two drivers emit sound with different characteristics and the signals that mix in your head are incoherent. The result is very poor imaging resolution and loose bass. 

A lot of what we hear is very subjective - it depends on our hearing, mood, and the gear we're using. Most people here are very happy with the results of the mod, so please let them enjoy it.
Well, someone got to play devil advocate, right? :)

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #4,054 of 9,602
Could you please explain which mod are you talking about?
thank you

Removing the "sticker" that covers the bass port. Read back a few pages in this thread. It's referenced often, with a link to the original post (in English). That will get you started.

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #4,056 of 9,602

Thanks!
Is it possible to re glue the stickerswithout any damage  in case i don't like the sound of the mod?

Just put a small square of tape over the port. You could try putting the original "stickers" back, but I reversed the mod using blue painters tape, and it worked just fine.

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #4,057 of 9,602
  I'm planning on picking these up, but I probably won't be able to afford an amp for a little. What are these like through a Macbook pro with no external amp?

I definitely wouldn't suggest them without an external amp. Maybe if you're getting an amp within a week.
To me they're much thinner, more fatiguing and harsh. Strangely the bass seemed ok when I tried it straight from my Clip+.

Back in the day when line outs on Ipods did not exist I double amped a K701 from an Ipod using a Total Airhead. Loved it actually and it still sounded clear.
Generally this isn't a good idea but I don't think it's always so bad.

IMO something like the E17 is the bare minimum. PA2V2 or any CMOY amp should be OK but i've never tried any.

Q701 usually sounds best in my experience with a full desktop amp. For under $130 my favorites are the Fiio E9 and O2.

To me the DAC is just as important as the amp.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #4,058 of 9,602

Just put a small square of tape over the port. You could try putting the original "stickers" back, but I reversed the mod using blue painters tape, and it worked just fine.

Have you A/B blue painter's tape (what brand name?) versus other leading brands of adhesive tapes?
biggrin.gif

I kid!
I kid!

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #4,059 of 9,602

I definitely wouldn't suggest them without an external amp. Maybe if you're getting an amp within a week.
To me they're much thinner, more fatiguing and harsh. Strangely the bass seemed ok when I tried it straight from my Clip+.

Back in the day when line outs on Ipods did not exist I double amped a K701 from an Ipod using a Total Airhead. Loved it actually and it still sounded clear.
Generally this isn't a good idea but I don't think it's always so bad.

IMO something like the E17 is the bare minimum. PA2V2 or any CMOY amp should be OK but i've never tried any.

Q701 usually sounds best in my experience with a full desktop amp. For under $130 my favorites are the Fiio E9 and O2.

To me the DAC is just as important as the amp.

E17 works great with my Q's. Pa2v2 works really well for the price. I agree 100% about the DAC. If your source isn't good a DAC will actually make a more noticeable difference than an amp from my experience.

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #4,061 of 9,602

Listened through few EDM tracks, initial impression is that bass extends a bit deeper with a bit more thump. Feels like drivers are getting more air to breathe, the bass has more body to it but at the same time it feels looser and less controlled.

After using them for two more days, I now feel that the bass is spot on. I've always thought they sounded too cold, opening the ports seems to have given them a bit of much needed warmth. These are my gaming cans but I do listen to music with them on occasion. Now I just need to do something about these headband bumps.

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #4,062 of 9,602
Hi guys.

I am new to this headphone scene would appreciate some advise and some direction on my forst amp.

I just purchased a new akg q701 and westone 4r. I am currently using a superfi 5 pro from ultimate ears.

What would be a good investment for an amp and dac?

So fsr im considering to get eiyher e17 and e09k combo for 245 or should I go with a matrix m stsge amp and dac fpr 485?

A matrix m stage amp with the usb dac I can get it for 270...

What do you guys recommend?

Thank you guys

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #4,063 of 9,602

Have you A/B blue painter's tape (what brand name?) versus other leading brands of adhesive tapes?
biggrin.gif

I kid!
I kid!

I did! I did! ... but those #$@&ers at 3M swore me to secrecy.  It's an Area 51 thing.

To be serious for just a moment, I figured that painter's tape would leave the least amount of residue if removed, cuz that's pretty much what it's designed to do, yeah?

Wanna close that port off permanently?  Use gaffer tape :wink:

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #4,064 of 9,602

After using them for two more days, I now feel that the bass is spot on. I've always thought they sounded too cold, opening the ports seems to have given them a bit of much needed warmth. These are my gaming cans but I do listen to music with them on occasion. Now I just need to do something about these headband bumps.

I think you need some time to get used to the sound as well. It is shocking first time you listen to them after the mod.

About the headband bumps, just cut them. Look at my pictures. Check this as well:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/573055/akg-k702-headband-mods

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #4,065 of 9,602

I think you need some time to get used to the sound as well. It is shocking first time you listen to them after the mod.

About the headband bumps, just cut them. Look at my pictures. Check this as well:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/573055/akg-k702-headband-mods

Another way to avoid holes in your skull:

These are simply stripes of self-adhesive foam - just like the one used for window sealing. Cut it to shape and stick in between the bumps. 5 minute job that does not damage your headphones, and you'll never know the bumps were there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back