PS1000 Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #3,466 of 3,605
i had original rs1's for 20 years. had ps-1 for a few and sold em when they felt too heavy. have missed them terribly since, but rs1's are no longer "good" enough. been using lcd-3, hd800, tried beyr t1g2; etc etc etc and STILL long for that grado sound. so:

just bought a pair of ps1000e's here used. will have them thursday. i can't wait.

in the meantime fostex th900's are sounding more fun than any cans i've ever had except the PS1's.  

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #3,467 of 3,605
i had original rs1's for 20 years. had ps-1 for a few and sold em when they felt too heavy. have missed them terribly since, but rs1's are no longer "good" enough. been using lcd-3, hd800, tried beyr t1g2; etc etc etc and STILL long for that grado sound. so:

just bought a pair of ps1000e's here used. will have them thursday. i can't wait.

in the meantime fostex th900's are sounding more fun than any cans i've ever had except the PS1's.  

Congratulations on your purchase. The PS1K is a pretty fun sounding headphone. It is a nice contrast to my GS2KE. For me the the GS2KE tightens up the bass and smooths the treble while maintaining excellent extension when directly compared to my PS1K. I just bought a new pair of LCD-Xs and decided I prefer the planar bass to the that for the PS1K to compliment my GS2KE though. I'm still interested in what the PS1Ke has to offer though too, oh, and the upcoming PS2000e for sure!!!

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #3,470 of 3,605

Well, I went nuts and bought the GS and PS1000e together - no, I'm not wealthy, certainly not anymore. Seldom used the GS1000 when the PS1000e was there. Though I ended up keeping my NEXT impulse, the GS2000e after deciding to sell the winner of my next personal audio satisfaction contest, and the less expensive, wood statement 2000 beat the PS1000e - which I miss and admire greatly - on the ground that, while I could analytically find the PS1000e superior in neutrality and last-word-in-detail qualities, the GS2000e was and is 90% its equal in any category, I objectively behaved like a person who ENJOYED the GS2000e more - longer listening sessions, more diving into the archives of recordings, NO discomfort (unlike the HEAVY, flimsy-band-and-assembly, metal phones). 

I am afraid of a PS2000e because I can't afford anymore luxury toys, and I expect that the PS2000e would be a new standard bearer. Add that touch  of soul that makes the GS2000e far, far better than the GS1000, to the professionals, in a 2000 series, and it would be lethal, and I would only get into further debt. And sell more headphones at a loss.

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #3,472 of 3,605
Would have to have some material or at least whiz-bang sounding upgrade to get people excited enough. AND....god, Rich Grado, John Chen, PLEASE - a hydraulic-servo or something to supplement the head-part assembly so that the phones actually stay still, don't hurt, and don't lose their height on the rods. That's been a huge oversight, as MANY users couldn't stand the user's head aspect of the PS1000e, and mine needed to be rebuilt, which t hey did for me for the cost of labor.

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #3,475 of 3,605
At first I tried it touching the headband, but that didn't seem to keep their weight from becoming uncomfortable in a few minutes.

So I recreated it, this time as more of a suspension strap. However, it was too short, and the G-cushions weren't low enough to fully cover my ears.

My third try was the one in the pics, where, when worn, the strap just narrowly misses touching the Grado headband.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #3,476 of 3,605
After trying it on a styrofoam head much smaller than mine, this length of strap seems to work with any rodblock positioning.

The length from hole to hole is about 11 1/4 inches.

What was nice about this is the mod was totally reversible, and accomplished with a cost of $6.50 using an imitation leather belt, scissors, and x-acto knife.

I could probably make the edges a little cleaner if I worked up a template, but I'm happy with the result for the time being, and rockin' my favorite Grados (now with somewhat less limited head-nodding capability)!

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #3,477 of 3,605
At first I tried it touching the headband, but that didn't seem to keep their weight from becoming uncomfortable in a few minutes.

So I recreated it, this time as more of a suspension strap. However, it was too short, and the G-cushions weren't low enough to fully cover my ears.

My third try was the one in the pics, where, when worn, the strap just narrowly misses touching the Grado headband.

Nice job.

I didn't have a comfort issue with the PS1K, but after wearing headphones with a suspension strap I decided to install a Fostex T50rp suspension strap on them for added comfort as well as aluminum rod blocks from Rholupat which the suspension strap is secured to by using 2 (out of the 4) slightly longer than provided #3 screws (and flat washers) which hold the two halves of the rod blocks together. I did have to max out the rod blocks due to the length of the suspension strap, though. But in the end this couldn't have worked out better for my head. Sorry for those who have seen these photos which I have posted several times before.

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #3,478 of 3,605
Nice job.

I didn't have a comfort issue with the PS1K, but after wearing headphones with a suspension strap I decided to install a Fostex T50rp suspension strap on them for added comfort as well as aluminum rod blocks from Rholupat which the suspension strap is secured to by using 2 (out of the 4) slightly longer than provided #3 screws (and flat washers) which hold the two halves of the rod blocks together. I did have to max out the rod blocks due to the length of the suspension strap, though. But in the end this couldn't have worked out better for my head. Sorry for those who have seen these photos which I have posted several times before.

Nice! I had been curious as to whether you had to make modifications to the rod blocks. Now I know!

Rholupat's rod blocks are on my wish list, too. Just a shame the originals were plastic on such a fine overall piece of work.

Out of curiosity, how well do the locking mechanisms hold the rods in place on these?

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #3,479 of 3,605
Nice! I had been curious as to whether you had to make modifications to the rod blocks. Now I know!

Rholupat's rod blocks are on my wish list, too. Just a shame the originals were plastic on such a fine overall piece of work.

Out of curiosity, how well do the locking mechanisms hold the rods in place on these?

Thank you.

No modifications to the rod blocks, you would just need to buy 2 slightly longer #3 button head Allen screws and washers for the inside holes of the rod blocks to compensate for the thickness of the strap and flat washers, otherwise the screws provided won't reach the threads. The 1/8" shaft collars work excellent. I use them on all of my Grados to keep their height adjustment.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #3,480 of 3,605
In case any of you blokes are still looking for comfort strap or headband padding options, I've got a great solution to report! My two main headphones are the PS and ZMF omnis. Omnis ship with the ZMF pilot pad, so I moved ny Lohb comfort strap from the PS to the ZMF and put the pilot pad on the Grado. Great fix! The pilot pad is super soft and spreads the weight out very evenly over the top of my all but hairless dome!

You can purchase them here in either protein or lambskin leather: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/pilot-pad

Does not require any permanent, or semi-permanent modification and/or DIYing. Just Velcro's on and off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back