PS1000 Impressions Thread
May 19, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #1,983 of 3,605
I read lots of times that vintage RS1's are also very engaging... So who is more engaging Vintage RS1 or PS1000?

Ask, and you shall recieve, Joseph.
wink.gif

Just to be clear, I consider vintage, the very first RS1, that came in a wooden box. The RS1 that came in pizza boxes, are generally referred to as classic.

Now, I have heard both the RS1i, and I recently bought a pair of new old stock RS1. Of the two, I prefer the classic RS1.

Compared to the PS1k, I would have to say that the RS1 are the most engaging than the two. The RS1's sound is much more intimate, wich makes them ideal for small venue recordings,

However, the PS1k are still my favorite pair of headphones,

May 19, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #1,984 of 3,605
I read lots of times that vintage RS1's are also very engaging... So who is more engaging Vintage RS1 or PS1000?

it might depend on the type of music or listening habits. I havent been listening to my Rs1 much the last few months, but I remember them always beeing more engaging. Always jamming out with them and forget about the critical listening.

Edit: yeah, what stacker said, the ps1000 is still my favorite headphone too.

Edit #2: my rs1 is vintage with wooden box and pink drivers! :wink:

May 19, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,985 of 3,605
it might depend on the type of music or listening habits. I havent been listening to my Rs1 much the last few months, but I remember them always beeing more engaging. Always jamming out with them and forget about the critical listening.

Edit #2: my rs1 is vintage with wooden box and pink drivers!
wink.gif

Hey Worms, do you know what is the difference between your vintage, and my classic RS1s?.

May 19, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #1,987 of 3,605
  @stacker45
@kayandjohn 
I would like too hear your opinion on the above question also, so which would each of you say is more engaging?

@joseph69 (or anyone else):  Can you elaborate on the meaning of the word "engaging?"  I have particular interest, because on another thread, folks are comparing the new beta HiFiMAN HE1000 to the top-of-the-line HiFiMAN HE-6 and saying despite the great sound of the HE1000, it is the HE-6 that is more "engaging.'

I struggle to understand what constitutes "engaging."

Is it a "fun" frequency profile, perhaps U-shaped?  I have heard that Sennheiser HD 800s and Grado HP1000s, with their very flat frequency responses, are "analytical" but not "fun."  Does that mean they are not "engaging?"

Meanwhile, I compared my RS1i and my PS1000s and found that I very slightly preferred the RS1i.  I also have the RS1 Classic (with buttons), and it is less preferable to me than the RS1i, but I still have yet to do the formal comparison with the RS1 vs. the RS1i (and as a third one, the RS2i), which I DO plan to do soon.

Here is my comparison chart, which is explained here.  R1i is more transparent and preserves the pitch of bass better than the PS1000, while the PS1000 exceeds the sound stage size of the RS1i.  I would imagine that the RS1 would still slightly exceed the PS1000 in both transparency and bass pitch, giving it the edge as well.

May 19, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,989 of 3,605
  @joseph69 (or anyone else):  Can you elaborate on the meaning of the word "engaging?"  I have particular interest, because on another thread, folks are comparing the new beta HiFiMAN HE1000 to the top-of-the-line HiFiMAN HE-6 and saying despite the great sound of the HE1000, it is the HE-6 that is more "engaging.'

I struggle to understand what constitutes "engaging."

Is it a "fun" frequency profile, perhaps U-shaped?  I have heard that Sennheiser HD 800s and Grado HP1000s, with their very flat frequency responses, are "analytical" but not "fun."  Does that mean they are not "engaging?"

Meanwhile, I compared my RS1i and my PS1000s and found that I very slightly preferred the RS1i.  I also have the RS1 Classic (with buttons), and it is less preferable to me than the RS1i, but I still have yet to do the formal comparison with the RS1 vs. the RS1i (and as a third one, the RS2i), which I DO plan to do soon.

Here is my comparison chart, which is explained here.  R1i is more transparent and preserves the pitch of bass better than the PS1000, while the PS1000 exceeds the sound stage size of the RS1i.  I would imagine that the RS1 would still slightly exceed the PS1000 in both transparency and bass pitch, giving it the edge as well.

to me, engaging is the ability of making me feel a part of the music, totally immersed , its kinda one of those things that's hard to describe in words
i use the word "soul"  to describe this, rather than engage, it's that intangible thing that you just know when you got it
i hope that makes some sense !

May 19, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #1,990 of 3,605

wink.gif

Hey Worms, do you know what is the difference between your vintage, and my classic RS1s?.

I did not have both the pink driver Rs1 and my "classic Rs1" like the one you have at the same time so I can't compare. Purely from MEMORY, without a doubt, the pink driver Rs1 have always been more ENGAGING for me than the non-pink driver, no serial number Rs1 I had, but then again I hardly ever use the Pink driver Rs1, so when I do hear it, I absolutely love it! it's like the honeymoon/new toy syndrome also comes into play though, so who knows really?

@kayandjohn for me engaging is exactly what it sounds like. Sorry, but I don't really use all the Audiophile terms correctly all the time. To me it has to do with being involved in the music. My best example is I tend to listen to music a lot when I'm also web browsing so as I'm sure many of you know, you are not really paying attention to the music and it tends to go to the background and your main focus is on whatever I'm reading online at the time. With the Rs1, more than any other headphone (rs2 honorable mention), it will grab me and pull me into the music, into the groove. There will come to a point where i have to stop browsing and shift all my attention to the music to either "jam out" or whatever it is the music calls for.

May 20, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #1,991 of 3,605
One of the several reasons I find the PS1000's so great is that they sound "big", while at the same time feeling "intimate". Its like sitting really really up close to a stage, where you can hear every detail, while still having the musicians in front of you, almost like in an arch. Another of my favorite traits is that you can listen at such low levels, while hearing everything clearly.

To be honest I treat my PS1000's like a holy grail or something, and I would be devastated if something happened to them. :wink:

Do anyone know where to get replacement g cushions at a fair price, with reasonable international shipping cost? The Ear Zonk ones from Amazon only ships via priority shipping, which cause extra customs costs while also doubling the initial price before adding this.

May 20, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #1,992 of 3,605

wink.gif

you can't get any more vintage, than pink drivers....congrats on those 
smile.gif

May 20, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #1,993 of 3,605
OH, and for the record...if your head ain't bobbin and your feet ain't tappin.....your are not engaged  
tongue.gif

Ha, i have no idea what I am doing here....I don't even have a PS1000......just rambling.....carry on  
smile.gif

May 20, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #1,994 of 3,605
Do anyone know where to get replacement g cushions at a fair price, with reasonable international shipping cost? The Ear Zonk ones from Amazon only ships via priority shipping, which cause extra customs costs while also doubling the initial price before adding this.

you might wanna check ebay periodically, might find a seller who ships internationally? 

wink.gif

you can't get any more vintage, than pink drivers....congrats on those 
smile.gif

I got lucky on those ...REALLY lucky!
wink.gif

OH, and for the record...if your head ain't bobbin and your feet ain't tappin.....your are not engaged  
tongue.gif

Ha, i have no idea what I am doing here....I don't even have a PS1000......just rambling.....carry on  
smile.gif

ha! that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!
tongue_smile.gif

May 20, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #1,995 of 3,605
tongue.gif

smile.gif

yup !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back