Post Your Photography Here #2
Apr 24, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #13,366 of 15,743
Sorry for the high noise, I took this picture using ISO 12800 with my NEX-5T (kit lens). I never use ISO this high before, and it came out way over exposure. Then I read an article about recovering detail from over exposure shot, and decided to try it out. This is the result, Darktable is used to bring back details.
Can anyone here give tips for post processing Milky Way? Any Darktable user here?

This one is taken after total lunar eclipse.

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #13,367 of 15,743
Reprocessed my lastest Swanlake. 

And a surreal pic of my son in mid air...

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #13,368 of 15,743
I've been watching a ton of youtube videos on retouching...so progress report 
biggrin.gif

The original

The first edit I found acceptable. I used Capture One 8 for this.

This one was a combination of photoshop and lightroom. I used PS for frequency separation, and some healing brush work. Then LR for contouring (my girlfriend has been teaching me how to use makeup, and I'm trying to apply it to retouching).

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #13,369 of 15,743
  I've been watching a ton of youtube videos on retouching...so progress report 
biggrin.gif

This one was a combination of photoshop and lightroom. I used PS for frequency separation, and some healing brush work. Then LR for contouring (my girlfriend has been teaching me how to use makeup, and I'm trying to apply it to retouching).

I like the lips in the original better, but everything else looks great!
smile_phones.gif

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #13,371 of 15,743
Just a few from today... (I'm going to stop posting all my pics on here because I'm very trigger happy haha - And this isn't the lugbug photo thread! You are all welcome to check out my flickr link in my sig for new ones :)

Lovin the D7000, I don't feel limited with this camera. The D90 is brilliant and deserves the cult following, but for folks like me who enjoy the processing part as much as the snapping it can be a little restricting. The level of shadow detail I'm uncovering is amazing with the D7000 - that top B&W photo was contrasted with the sun and the building was completely silhouetted on the original raw file. I have been able to draw all the original detail...  before I started to remove it again in my Noir fashion ha :D 

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #13,372 of 15,743
Eke2k6, I've had a good look at all 3 and the 1st and 3rd one are the best to my untrained eye.  The first one is the most natural, however the contrast is a little misty on the face in comparison to the 3rd. The 3rd one is better in respect that she looks even more beautiful. The lips are bright red - but she is wearing bright red lipstick! 

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #13,373 of 15,743
Sorry for the high noise, I took this picture using ISO 12800 with my NEX-5T (kit lens). I never use ISO this high before, and it came out way over exposure. Then I read an article about recovering detail from over exposure shot, and decided to try it out. This is the result, Darktable is used to bring back details.
Can anyone here give tips for post processing Milky Way? Any Darktable user here?

This one is taken after total lunar eclipse.

Cheers!

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #13,374 of 15,743
Reprocessed my lastest Swanlake. 

And a surreal pic of my son in mid air...

I like the swan photo. It has movement and still effects going on at the same time. The colors are great too. Love the reflections and how contrasts of white make the swan pop.

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #13,375 of 15,743
I like the swan photo. It has movement and still effects going on at the same time. The colors are great too. Love the reflections and how contrasts of white make the swan pop.

Thanks. I added two layers - one neutral and one over exposed by 1.5 stop. That way I was able to bring the shadow detail out of the tree and water. Tinted towards blue a fraction and then got to work on balancing the colors and contrast, sharpening etc. Very time consuming but worth it. I used to do a lot of painting, think thats why I enjoy the post process so much - its very similar in some respects.  

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #13,377 of 15,743
I was playing with Frank I's X-T1 and picked the 18-55mm kit up a few days ago. I did my requisite test: Shooting off my balcony at the houses and mountains at 6:30am to see how the colours come out. This is in vivid mode straight off the camera. Funnily enough the mountains look more realistic but the foreground is obviously artistically over-saturated. Still, it looks pretty, and I wanted the camera for taking pretty shots that I could use without editing to put straight into articles. That the RAW files don't have the filtering might be a bonus, as if the filter screws things up, I have an un-touched back-up if the shot happens to be worth the time to work on.

ISO 250, 48mm, f/9, 1/60th

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #13,379 of 15,743
On the "Rock Path" in the mountains near my hometown (6MB Sigma DP1M OOC JPG):

That photo even looked big on my iPhone 4.

I had to look at it again with an IPad,.......even bigger!

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #13,380 of 15,743

Couple from yesterday. 

For a second I thought I saw the ghost of Led Zeppelin playing in the background of those photos?:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back