Post Your Photography Here #2
Apr 19, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #13,353 of 15,743
Long hiatus...

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #13,355 of 15,743
tomscy2000
Street dog? nevermind it has a collar and tag, so it's like the cat I mention below I guess?

There's this small very fluffy cat in Chinatown that is belongs to a store owner there, and it just, whenever it wants, sits in the middle of the sidewalk. I plan to take a photo of it one day, but that cat is pure evil, like it'll go after my family for that one photo. I need a long telephoto for that cat.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #13,356 of 15,743
@tomscy2000
Street dog? nevermind it has a collar and tag, so it's like the cat I mention below I guess?

There's this small very fluffy cat in Chinatown that is belongs to a store owner there, and it just, whenever it wants, sits in the middle of the sidewalk. I plan to take a photo of it one day, but that cat is pure evil, like it'll go after my family for that one photo. I need a long telephoto for that cat.

Sort of. It's a stray (the collar means that it has been tagged and neutered, and that someone "takes care" of it, but it's not necessarily a pet) that has found a reliable food source in front of a Japanese style Izakaya. I guess the restaurant personnel feed him all the time, as I don't see him anywhere else but at the front door.

Cats take some practice getting shots off --- my best pictures occur when they're in the middle of a cat nap, and even when I have the iPhone up in their face and the noise surprises them, they're still too sleepy to react quickly. Even so, many pictures are still blurry.

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #13,357 of 15,743
Sort of. It's a stray (the collar means that it has been tagged and neutered, and that someone "takes care" of it, but it's not necessarily a pet) that has found a reliable food source in front of a Japanese style Izakaya. I guess the restaurant personnel feed him all the time, as I don't see him anywhere else but at the front door.

Cats take some practice getting shots off --- my best pictures occur when they're in the middle of a cat nap, and even when I have the iPhone up in their face and the noise surprises them, they're still too sleepy to react quickly. Even so, many pictures are still blurry.

Ahhh, that's pretty cool. He just chills there, like a boss. It's nice when places adopt like that.

I feel like that cat is my nemesis lol. He's always vigilant. Literally the eyes of vigilance.

[rule]

The Sigma 105mm 2.8 VR macro is going for a nice discount at 669 atm. Anyone have experience with this lens or can recommend it at this price?

I'm looking for a basic portrait lens and a macro lens and it seems like it'll fit the bill...

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #13,358 of 15,743
  The Sigma 105mm 2.8 VR macro is going for a nice discount at 669 atm. Anyone have experience with this lens or can recommend it at this price?

I'm looking for a basic portrait lens and a macro lens and it seems like it'll fit the bill...

I'm looking at that lens myself for the Canon mount. It seems improved in all areas over the old version of the lens, which I thought was good optically, but had troublesome AF performance. I can't decide whether to save a few bucks and get this lens, or go with the EF 100 f/2.8L, which will have better AF performance and a nice hybrid IS system that accounts for tilt shake. For me, the L lens is available used for pretty good prices (and in mint condition), while I'd have to buy the Sigma brand new, making the price difference not so large (about $100 USD).

IMHO, the 100/105mm focal length is ideal for portraits both indoors and outdoors; it's not so long that you have to shout at your subject to direct poses (unless you're taking ninja portraits on the street, then it doesn't matter), and there's no perspective distortion (don't agree with the people who swear by shooting at 180-200 mm because the facial compression is 'so much better'). On a FF camera, f/2.8 is fast enough for shallow DOF head-and-shoulders portraits (but not for 3/4 or full-body, that'll require an f/2 lens or better, and longer FOV).

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #13,359 of 15,743
One for the pixel peepers... 
wink.gif
 (10MB Sigma DP1M OOC JPG)

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #13,360 of 15,743

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #13,361 of 15,743

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #13,362 of 15,743
I don't use Lr (I might start when I get a new computer, though, as well as CC), but in case people do:
http://petapixel.com/2015/04/21/vsco-film-00-is-a-free-starter-pack-of-film-emulation-presets-for-lightroom/

Not an amazing array of filters, but it's a start.

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #13,363 of 15,743
Upgraded.... D7000 in the house now :) 

Just a few fun shots. First impressions are what I expected, better resolution and DR. The 39 focus points (over the D90's 11) are great for snapping my son. I'm yet to sample the ISO levels. Shall do this when it gets dark... I'm used to not going over 800. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back