POST PICS OF YOUR DARTH BEYERS
Apr 4, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #2,191 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are people's general view on the leather pads for beyers? Are they still hard to find as before? Would anybody be interested in some custom pads?

I was under the impressions that they aren't that hard to find in the US if you are willing to pay $35-$40. If they were higher quality than the Beyer ones I might be interested.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #2,192 of 2,461
The problem with the leather pads that Beyer sells in the USA is that they are the "Aviation" pads, which isolate better but sound worse than the leather pads you get can get from the Germany Manufaktur site when you order DT770's or 990's. The "good" pads have lots of holes in the underside, and the Aviation pads have one lone single small hole.

I think the problem some people have with the current get Darth Beyer is due to the use of this style of leather pad. I have just figured this out within the last week when I got Mik's VXD4's. My VXD3's sounds better. I then swapped pads, and viola - the VXD4's then sounded better.

So for me, if I could get custom leather pads that sounded like the GOOD Beyer leather pads, I'd be ALL OVER IT.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #2,193 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent Mik! Glad you are liking them. I agree completely that they are a huge upgrade over the regular V3 Darths.

I now have Mik's Redwood VXD4's. They definitely have a more distinct tone to the mids than the VXD3's. I still believe that the most tonally neutral Darths are the VXD3, but I like the sound of the VXD4 quite a bit.

On the other have, while the Redwood itself is stunningly beautiful, I do not care too much for the "sloped top" of the earcups that is the hallmark of the V4 design. On the standard V4 it is not that noticeable, but on the VXD4 it is more pronounced. I would prefer a totally round earcup like my VXD3's. But just my opinion.

Of course at some point now I may have to buy a new pair of regular V4's again
wink.gif
But I am ready glad to have some VXD4's.

If Larry puts two Gabon Ebony Ovals on these, they'll look just like Pig's snouts!! I really don't like the look of these either.

>>
>>

hd9.jpg

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #2,194 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with the leather pads that Beyer sells in the USA is that they are the "Aviation" pads, which isolate better but sound worse than the leather pads you get can get from the Germany Manufaktur site when you order DT770's or 990's. The "good" pads have lots of holes in the underside, and the Aviation pads have one lone single small hole.

Could you post a photo comparison of each kind of leather pad? Do you remember which one your old Cocobolo V4 has?

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #2,195 of 2,461
re the pads - it's clear enough. The plastic undersurface is simply full of holes. There is no possibility in mistaking one from the other.
It's not impossible to replicate with a little ingenuity, and perseverance. Just small scissors and some thought. It doesn' t have to be particularly neat.

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #2,196 of 2,461
Bushguy is 100% right - the better pads are FULL of holes on the underside. There is no mistaking the two.

And he also raises a good point. I am going to try to carefully open the underside of one pair of the Aviator-types completely and see what happens.

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #2,197 of 2,461
By underside, do you mean the portion facing the drivers so I have to remove the earpads to look?

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #2,198 of 2,461
Yep, that's it.

Apr 5, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #2,200 of 2,461
Use soldering iron and you kill the underlying foam.......your risk. Be happy buying another pair
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #2,203 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are the pads that are full of holes hard to find?

I wouldn't say "hard to find" so much as restrictive. Beyerdynamic only releases them to those who purchase their Manufaktur. And even then, I think its restricted to the DT770 model. I haven't seen leather pads from Beyerdynamic Manufaktur for any of the other models. Having contacted Beyerdynamic, their reply simply stated that it was not cost effective to be selling them separately.
That said, I would love to see a custom-made Beyerdynamic-esque pad.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #2,204 of 2,461
hd7.jpg

attachment.php

I mentioned something to Larry a couple of months a go about a cocobolo v4 with a mic and boy did he come through. They arrive tomorrow. I cant wait.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #2,205 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I mentioned something to Larry a couple of months a go about a cocobolo v4 with a mic and boy did he come through. They arive tomorrow.
darthsmile.gif

It will be hard to see those images on your Hard drive, I'm squinting hard though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back