POST PICS OF YOUR DARTH BEYERS
Aug 9, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #2,221 of 2,461
I second the motion about the 600 OHM drivers, I am certain that would be quite a popular option!

What is tickling me at the moment is a HF2 based modification, this is one Grado I like very much, they quite surprised me as compared to the others I owned! I need to acquire a second pair
very_evil_smiley.gif

Charles

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, If Larry at Headphile would offer this as an extra-cost option, maybe I (and some others) may buy it.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #2,222 of 2,461
Skylab needs to send his Franken-Darths on "tour" to those of us who are afraid of ruining an innocent pair of drivers with their soldering iron. Since I have 3 X-Deeps, Franken-Darths are really an intriguing idea. I can imagine converting Zebra pair and running from Ming Da/NOS (which has been best for my dt990/600).

Grey Massacre - feel the same re HF-2. My RS-1 getting very little luv since Hf-2 were burned-in.......and that is simply with either Pico, or Kicas Caliente. So far, preferring RS-1/flats with the Caliente, and HF-2/bowls via iMod/ALO Auricap Dock/Pico.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #2,224 of 2,461
Which admittedly, is partly why several owners have found themselves accumulating 6-8 pairs. They are my sole choice for semi-closed - otherwise I'm a RS-1, HF-2, and HP-2 Grado guy. .............decided to go ahead and replicate what Slylab has done re X-Deep/600 ohm. Ordered the drivers from Beyer this A.M..

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #2,225 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grey Massacre - feel the same re HF-2. My RS-1 getting very little luv since Hf-2 were burned-in.......and that is simply with either Pico, or Kicas Caliente. So far, preferring RS-1/flats with the Caliente, and HF-2/bowls via iMod/ALO Auricap Dock/Pico.

I know I am a bit off topic but since most of the ppl in this threads like modified headphones I would like to point out that JMoney Audio headbands are awesome, leather quality is incredible and they are so comfy and much wider!

As a picky person and a headphone tweaker I could not resist and I ordered GS-1000/PS-1000 pads and I will try them on the HF2, they are described as baby PS-1000 by Todd so why not trying their pads! Also bought some lock hex thingies to hold in place the rods.

Charles

hf2_2.jpg

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #2,226 of 2,461
Do you feel you really need two collars on each side? I find they only want to drop on me - so only want one at the upper end....someone should have them in stainless or matte chrome. Gotta get around to giving it some thought.
Faxed Beyer driver order this A.M. - and have already received shipping notice. They're in Farmingdale, L.I.,N.Y.......and I'm on the next island
smily_headphones1.gif
How long can UPS delay getting them to me.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #2,227 of 2,461
Probably one should be enough but I like symmetry!
wink.gif

I am looking forward the drivers upgrade!!!

Charles

Quote:

Do you feel you really need two collars on each side? I find they only want to drop on me - so only want one at the upper end....someone should have them in stainless or matte chrome. Gotta get around to giving it some thought.
Faxed Beyer driver order this A.M. - and have already received shipping notice. They're in Farmingdale, L.I.,N.Y.......and I'm on the next island
smily_headphones1.gif
How long can UPS delay getting them to me.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #2,228 of 2,461
I already have HD800 and now looking for a closed headphone. These look especially nice but I can't find an option for deep cup on the website... Is deep cup version only for headphone deals???

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #2,229 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I am a bit off topic but since most of the ppl in this threads like modified headphones I would like to point out that JMoney Audio headbands are awesome, leather quality is incredible and they are so comfy and much wider!

Charles

hf2_2.jpg

How did you go about changing the stock Grado headband on the HF1, Isn't the plastic block glued to the end of the headband??

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #2,230 of 2,461
Deep cup darths are only made in the deals page. I do believe there is a deep set for sale for a good price in the for sale forums.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #2,231 of 2,461
Originally I received the HF-2 with poorly assembled plastic blocks, they were glued without attention and I could see a small gap in between the plastic parts where the rod is sliding.

So I have bought a headband assembly for 20$ from another head-fier which is the same as the HF-2 and in perfect condition, the metal rod in the headband can be pulled off quite easily by prying it side to side breaking the glue which is crazy glue. Love that headband!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you go about changing the stock Grado headband on the HF1, Isn't the plastic block glued to the end of the headband??

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #2,232 of 2,461
I would suggest contacting Larry directly as the waiting line is next to none, he could maybe an exception.
wink.gif

As a repeated customer of the Darth's I would suggest the regular V4, out of the 4 types of Darth's I listened they are the best. On the other hand I haven't heard the V4 deep cups.

Considering the V3 and the V3XD the main difference was the overall balance of the music, the V3 being more bassy and the V3XD more balanced across the spectrum. My V4 are my bass phones and I enjoy them so much, speaker like type of sound.

Charles

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already have HD800 and now looking for a closed headphone. These look especially nice but I can't find an option for deep cup on the website... Is deep cup version only for headphone deals???

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #2,233 of 2,461
Many of you know the Headphile Vixen is an open woody mod of the Beyer headphone - but, with Non-Beyer drivers mounted on a Rosewood soundboard (which can't be seen from the outside) with domed stealth stainless steel screens.

So, it is an intriguing prospect to consider mating HF-2 drivers (if you enjoy the stock HF-2 as much as I do) into the very comfortable Beyer shells. Larry (Headphile) states " when using Grado drivers, to me they sound somewhat similar to V9 C-Pads, but better"......he means Grado with the C-pads mounted on them.
It becomes an interesting conundrum to consider keeping HF-2 as stock for their present SQ, and the possibility of collectible value. Whereas, otherwise you could have Beyer circumaural comfort and the arguable increased woody beauty of the Vixens. The obvious problem is what might happen to the Hf-2 sound. We're in uncharted territory here. One thing that is obvious about the mod - the drivers distance from the ear will be midway between use with bowls and and saladbowls. So, the end result will be unlike any other possibility. Also, you can't be absolutely sure how the Hf-2 drivers will be impacted by the Beyer shells.
Personally, I'm on the fence as to doing such a mod.......or not. One posssible result could be that instead of considering them as baby PS1000 - they could possibly be the equal of full-blown PS1000, without the weight and at overall less cost.
I dislike posting Grado related stuff in a thread otherwise intended to be dedicated to the Darths - but, this detour is justified (to my mind) because I think both families complement each other. You have the best open sound available, juxtaposed to the best in semi-closed sound.
BTW - my 2005 dt770/600 ohm drivers have arrived from Beyer (for implant into X-deep Darths).

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #2,234 of 2,461
I was really interested in those mods and still considering them, what is keeping me off is how the sound will change and I love how the HF-2 sound right now! I am sure they will loose that airiness in their sound signature.

Also I would like to point out the GS1000/PS1000 pads makes a HUGE improvement on my HF-2, I just installed them and listened. Wow, they take the HF-2 to another level.

Soundstage is immense, bass is more present and you feel like the cans are floating on your head in a really comfortably manner.

I also have Fitz recabled K400 EP with AKG600 pads and they feel like more like a big closed room compared to the outside show type of soundstage on the HF-2. If you are game, order some of those pads!
wink.gif

Charles

Quote:

Many of you know the Headphile Vixen is an open woody mod of the Beyer headphone - but, with Non-Beyer drivers mounted on a Rosewood soundboard (which can't be seen from the outside) with domed stealth stainless steel screens.

So, it is an intriguing prospect to consider mating HF-2 drivers (if you enjoy the stock HF-2 as much as I do) into the very comfortable Beyer shells. Larry (Headphile) states " when using Grado drivers, to me they sound somewhat similar to V9 C-Pads, but better"......he means Grado with the C-pads mounted on them.
It becomes an interesting conundrum to consider keeping HF-2 as stock for their present SQ, and the possibility of collectible value. Whereas, otherwise you could have Beyer circumaural comfort and the arguable increased woody beauty of the Vixens. The obvious problem is what might happen to the Hf-2 sound. We're in uncharted territory here. One thing that is obvious about the mod - the drivers distance from the ear will be midway between use with bowls and and saladbowls. So, the end result will be unlike any other possibility. Also, you can't be absolutely sure how the Hf-2 drivers will be impacted by the Beyer shells.
Personally, I'm on the fence as to doing such a mod.......or not. One posssible result could be that instead of considering them as baby PS1000 - they could possibly be the equal of full-blown PS1000, without the weight and at overall less cost.
I dislike posting Grado related stuff in a thread otherwise intended to be dedicated to the Darths - but, this detour is justified (to my mind) because I think both families complement each other. You have the best open sound available, juxtaposed to the best in semi-closed sound.
BTW - my 2005 dt770/600 ohm drivers have arrived from Beyer (for implant into X-deep Darths).

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #2,235 of 2,461
Hi Guys,

I'm a very satisfied DT-770 owner whose been experience a lot of joy from these headphones over the years. I've ummed and arrrrred about upgrading to Darths, as both the lovers and the haters were equally convincing about whether it was money well spent.

Well, I've finally been swayed by the lovers, I've saved up the money and decided to pull the trigger on an upgrade to some Terminators.

The only problem... I was already to go.. and just could not decide on a wood-type. I'm paralysed at the first drop down menu.

How on earth did you guys choose your woods?? At the moment, to keep on the cheaper side of things, I'm liking the bloodwood, the morado and the zebra, perhaps even the cocobolo.... but can't for the life of me decide, especially as they are suppose to look completely different in real life vs on photo.

Any suggestions? I think I need a wise-head to make the decision for me......
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back