Post pics of your builds....
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #4,201 of 9,811
Great idea!

I really don't think that the loss of the active ground is particularly important for pre-amp duties. You'll never be moving large amounts of current or big voltage swings, and (just guessing) it probably isn't as reactive a load as headphones can be.

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #4,202 of 9,811
thanks beefy.

even for my hd650 use (!) I honestly can't tell that I'm 'missing' a ground channel. I hear all the fullness I used to hear in 3ch mode but using only 2 'normal' amp sections.

my preamp will be probably 3/4 used for speakers and the 1/4 time on phones duty but the times I use phones, I did want it to sound good - and it doesn't seem to have degraded at all, to my ears.

before I made the mod, I listened with the 3rd channel disabled and just could not hear any 'problems' so I decided to donate that channel to something more useful
wink.gif

I know it will annoy the purists but I really can't hear any improvement in 3ch 'active ground mode' vs old school 2ch mode.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #4,205 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My latest creation:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5627/img4347ch7.jpg

Millet Hybrid Max, Can't Miss #1 with an OptiVol, pre-out and enclosure to accommodate future upgrades.

Looks nice, from what I can see.
Do you have more pictures, in better lighting conditions?
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #4,206 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

I was just about to ask that, then I scrolled down..lol

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #4,207 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by onform /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just about to ask that, then I scrolled down..lol

img4335ch5.jpg

img4328iu9.jpg

img4339aq7.jpg

img4338gv6.jpg

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #4,209 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that is one camera shy amp. But from what I can see of it lurking in the shadows it looks great!

LOL. My camera won't take picures w/o a flash unless I have it on a tripod otherwise they turn out blurry. I should really try no flash with the lights on though
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #4,210 of 9,811
Quote:

LOL. My camera won't take picures w/o a flash unless I have it on a tripod otherwise they turn out blurry. I should really try no flash with the lights on though
biggrin.gif

you don't WANT flash. flash ruins photos most of the time (unless you diffuse or bounce it, which most seem to not do..)

you want a tripod and use the self-timer on the cam. they all have a self timer. get the lighting as close to what you want, press the shutter and stand back and let the camera fire itself. if you got anything usable in an exposure, you then go on to step 2.

step 2 is mostly the magic tool called 'shadow/highlight'. or its known as something similar in name. its purposes is to lower the overly bright areas (compress them down) and bring out detail in the darker 'shadow' areas (compress them 'up').

that's about 3/4 of what you need to know to get usable photos, even of dark objects. the shadow/highlight tool is your biggest bang for the buck after the tripod/selftimer bit.

HTH.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #4,211 of 9,811
Quote:

biggrin.gif

How about sliding the red curtain aside?
wink.gif

Looks to be light outside

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #4,212 of 9,811
This is the first version of a small desktop amp, first try at cnc machining all of the panels, and first enclosure I designed from scratch. (the knob was bought instead of made though) More pictures to come when I get a chance.

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #4,214 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beddock1.jpg

beddock2.jpg

Sort of an old post, but can't resist.

It looks as if the iTouch pooped its pants, and the poop is dripping down the stand.

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #4,215 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the first version of a small desktop amp, first try at cnc machining all of the panels, and first enclosure I designed from scratch. (the knob was bought instead of made though) More pictures to come when I get a chance.

13357d1232726614-post-pics-your-builds-amp1-xsm.jpg

Nice little case, I like the originality! What kind of amp are you going to put in there?
If you get a chance, please post some larger pics.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back