Post pics of your builds....
Jan 11, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #4,156 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am allowing for the tangent pcb in many of my builds. a down side is that you need a lot more gain from the amp. but the crossfeed effect is worth having. note that its also worth being able to bypass/disable it. I use relays (of course)
wink.gif

Your relay idea is clever it cuts down on wiring to dpdt switches which is a pain

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #4,157 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred_fred2004 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your relay idea is clever it cuts down on wiring to dpdt switches which is a pain

thanks
wink.gif

here's the next evolution. TWO relays:

3195734440_c83189c85e_o.jpg

the schematic and layout:

3194851335_55dc2e268a.jpg

3194851367_230c9ac607.jpg

you can turn off both relays, just one, just the other or both. one of those states is 'flat' and the other 3 are diff levels of bass boost. all relay controlled!
wink.gif

I home etched this one (painfully) from toner method. I hate that method, I really do... I must try the photo method some time.

still, it did make an ok board:

3195728312_0cc6c4be92_o.jpg

3195729110_75b25de076_o.jpg

it sounds great, btw! I've been listening to it with various relays on and off. the default is both off and that gives a good amount of 'default' boost (as I like it both in my spkrs and phones). one setting is pure flat (one relay on and one off) and the other settings also involve at least 1 relay on. it happened that way because the traces 'told' me to do it that way (lol).

this thing sits on top of the pimeta and I meaured the holes so it fits exactly over the pimeta R4 holes. I used IC socket pins to hold the resistors since they might need to be 'tuned'.

its a hack, but it was a fun and productive hack.

the next part is to create a 2-bit latch to hold the 4 states, some 4 LED driver and more interestingly the interface to the IR receiver/decoder.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #4,159 of 9,811
linuxworks -

Once again I'm totally blown away by your work (DIY work AND photography); I look forward to your postings. Your latest is totally amazing.

A question: why did you 'socket' the resistors instead of just soldering them directly to the board???

Thanks for the inspiring work!

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #4,160 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandbasser /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A question: why did you 'socket' the resistors instead of just soldering them directly to the board???

Thanks for the inspiring work!

thanks!

I need to be able to change the R's out if I didn't guess or pick the right values.

I wanted to have 3 steps: 1 low R, 1 medium R, both in series (adding to more than either of them) and then both of them out of the circuit.

to 'tune' that means I have to find some low R's that give 'just enough' bass but still when added to the larger R gives another level.

rather than unsolder to tune or change the values, I just decided that a home made pc board won't survive repeated unsolderings so sockets come to the rescue
wink.gif
plus they look nice, those wire-wrap socket pins sticking up high like that (lol). I had a bunch of old wire-wrap sockets and those are actually pretty easy to cut apart and steal their pins from.

I'm using this preamp for both my main spkrs and headphones. a bass setting that is right for my spkrs is too much for my phones, so having settable levels for bass really is a usability feature I'm glad I stumbled on. sitting back in your chair, with a remote, clicking 'bass flat,hi1,hi2,hi3' is a neat thing to have!

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #4,161 of 9,811
hey cool idea there with the relays. you could squeeze more out of it if you hook them up in parallel though (rather than the serial like hookup).. shorter signal path and less interface transitions.. Also, I'm not sure why you'd want to use a state machine.. you'd need to use gates, clocks, flip flops.. unless you program a chip to cut down parts.. not sure its worth the bother with just a few options anyway.. ah.. for a remote.. well.. then you almost may as well program something.. even if just a PLD....

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #4,162 of 9,811
I'm not sure what you mean by hooking the relays in parallel. do you mean physically next to each other or do you mean *electrically*? I do need to be able to switch each on and off, by itself, of course.

edit: oh, I just realized, you mean programming the total R value by paralleling instead of going in series.

not sure its a win either way; they both could have 2 R's in at a time (causing noise) either in series or parallel. I guess to take one relay R 'out of the path' the relay simply opens and there are no extra contacts to travel thru - that must be what you mean. with my circuit you always go thru TWO sets of relay contacts and you way you would possibly (at times) go thru only 1. you only get 2 golden '1 contact' settings, though (lol).

perhaps if I re-do the circuit I'll try a parallel config. thanks for the idea.

my keyboard mapping is going to be easy because I have a trick in mind
wink.gif
the mapping of the 4 states to either 4 buttons on a remote or maybe just 1 button cycling around to the 4 states. I may run short of buttons and so I might not want to 'waste' 4 on this and maybe only use 1 (cycling) or 2 (direct binary selection via 2 toggles).

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #4,164 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by thetelevisi0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first DIY project. I probably could have improved the wiring a bit more and the soldering too... But I'm super happy with it!
biggrin.gif

Awesome stuff!
Nice build, I hope my Cmoy turns out that clean.
icon10.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #4,165 of 9,811
Jan 18, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #4,166 of 9,811
I am seriously waiting for digital out from the iPod just to use a gamma1 with a battery pack.

The iPod analog outputs are the limiting factor in my portable setup. It is very irritating when you know its not the files, the amp, cables, or headphone...its the iPod. lame.

Great work AMB!

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #4,167 of 9,811
OPA2132U
Discrete rail splitter
decoupling caps as suggested (thanks)

CIMG2880.jpg

CIMG2875.jpg

CIMG2871.jpg

PCBDesign_CentrepotAltronicsdiscret.jpg

just wanted to show somebody
L3000.gif

cheers

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #4,168 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred_fred2004 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OPA2132U
Discrete rail splitter
decoupling caps as suggested (thanks)

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...4/CIMG2880.jpg

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...4/CIMG2875.jpg

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...4/CIMG2871.jpg

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...icsdiscret.jpg

just wanted to show somebody
L3000.gif

cheers

That looks amazing. Now I'm really ashamed of the wiring in my CMoy.
tongue.gif

That interconnect is cool, did you make it yourself? I think that's gonna be my next project.

And a random pic of my CMoy on a breadboard:

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #4,169 of 9,811
The hardest part of the interconnect is learning how to plait
smile_phones.gif

you'll have no problems

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back