Post pics of your builds....
Jan 7, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #4,111 of 9,811
Photo spam of my completed and fully functional y1 DAC. Awesome project from AMB and MisterX, and big props to fordgtlover for making up the kits

y11.jpg

y12.jpg

y13.jpg

y14.jpg

y15.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #4,112 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finished my two MiniMAXes over the New Year's holiday.

Thank you Colin and Tom for making these wonderful amps available to us DIYers.

snip

Nice work. Can you tell me where you got the knobs from? I'm trying to track down a black aluminum knob for my miniMAX. Thanks.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #4,113 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by alwayshungry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice work. Can you tell me where you got the knobs from? I'm trying to track down a black aluminum knob for my miniMAX. Thanks.

Thanks! I used Audio Note knobs from Parts Connexion. They are very heavy brass with a plated finish and fairly expensive at $22.95 each, but they sure look and feel nice.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalo...sandknobs.html

However, as TomB and DaMnEd suggest, PartsPipe on eBay is probably the best way to go.

eBay Store – PARTSPIPE: Search results for 24x25.

These are solid aluminum and much cheaper.

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #4,114 of 9,811
I used the same knob for my ß22 build, albeit in polished brass finish.

I just discovered that VT4C sells the 30mm polished brass knobs for about $12.00. Good deal if you're getting more than one.

Very nice builds, by the way.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #4,115 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Photo spam of my completed and fully functional y1 DAC. Awesome project from AMB and MisterX, and big props to fordgtlover for making up the kits
smily_headphones1.gif

Where can I find more information on those kits?

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #4,117 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Your DAC looks fantastic! Love the lighted power switch.
biggrin.gif

I see the boards and panels on AMB's site, but it appears that the SMD's are not pre-soldered. Did you do the surface mount work yourself or is there a way to get the boards with these chips pre-installed?

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #4,118 of 9,811
There is currently no pre-soldering of the SMD parts available. So far (from the prototype program to all the new builders), our experience shows that most people have little or no trouble with the soldering. Have no fear. All you need is some soldering experience, patience and care, proper tools, steady hands, and good vision aid.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #4,119 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by patton713MW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I find more information on those kits?

It was for Australians only, and the group buy finished a couple of weeks back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your DAC looks fantastic! Love the lighted power switch.
biggrin.gif

Thanks! The lighted switch is indeed awesome. Glows red when there is no input/lock, green when everything is OK, and switches the inputs. Great use of parts by AMB
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I see the boards and panels on AMB's site, but it appears that the SMD's are not pre-soldered. Did you do the surface mount work yourself or is there a way to get the boards with these chips pre-installed?

Did it myself - first time I have done anything smaller than a SOIC-8 OPAMP. I did the most difficult part first, the PCM2707, and once you get the hang of the technique it is surprisingly 'easy'. I used this guide, as recommended by AMB.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #4,121 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh, I wish I could SMD solder.

Why "wish"? Why not just DO?
wink.gif

Many of us had to take that leap at one time or another...

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #4,123 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ecxatly... how are you ever going to know what you are capable of doing if you don't try?

That one's easy: ask people on head-fi what you're capable of
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #4,124 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why "wish"? Why not just DO?
wink.gif

Many of us had to take that leap at one time or another...

I've found that 'a series of little successes' is a good way to work your way up. going right for the intermediate ones might be a hurdle.

if its your first smd project, you might want to practice on something to build confidence and get an 'easy goal' that will be more motivating once its complete.

the gamma1 isn't hard but it might be a good idea to start with a true starter project if you are really scared of smd work.

work your way up a little at a time. that way you build confidence at your own pace and that's mostly what its all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back