Portable amp below $50?
Jan 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #46 of 55

Quote:
Oh yeah I forgot about alac... lol. I converted my whole library to alac at one point.... then I realized my droid can't play alac -.-. Luckily I had the original files lol.

Being a total newb here I don't know if it's appropriate to ask here,
(I assume you have your entire library in flac already) where do you find them?

About 50% of my library consists of variable bitrate mp3s around 200kbps. I try for 320kbps whenever possible tho.

I'm looking to move into lossless format with my 50gb collection as I plan on getting a set of denon ah-d2000s possibly with a cheap cmoy amp to start or maybe the E7 if i can get a super deal on a d2000.

Any thoughts?

Sorry if I'm thread jacking, not my intention just thought you might have a few good places based on my assumption. =D

EDIT: also with the E7 is it powered by USB whenever you have it plugged into you're comp?
I know with the E11 you can't charge and use it at the same time based on the descriptions on amazon, which is why i'm shying away from it because i'd like to use my amp while at home too.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #47 of 55

About 50% of my library consists of variable bitrate mp3s around 200kbps. I try for 320kbps whenever possible tho.

I'm looking to move into lossless format with my 50gb collection as I plan on getting a set of denon ah-d2000s possibly with a cheap cmoy amp to start or maybe the E7 if i can get a super deal on a d2000.

Any thoughts?

Sorry if I'm thread jacking, not my intention just thought you might have a few good places based on my assumption. =D

EDIT: also with the E7 is it powered by USB whenever you have it plugged into you're comp?
I know with the E11 you can't charge and use it at the same time based on the descriptions on amazon, which is why i'm shying away from it because i'd like to use my amp while at home too.

This is the cheapest I have been able to ind the E7, other than the For Sale section on this forum, where I got mine :wink:. I have no clue about the USB charging thing, I will tell you when I get mine, which is probably tomorrow or the day after.

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #48 of 55

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Head-Fi doesn't encourage discussing where we get our music openly in forums. PM me for more information.

The E7 if i remember correctly is able to charge through USB, and yes if u look on sites it says so, and just like the E17 it gives u the ooption to turn this off. Charging and listening gives u distortion BTW. the E7 has 80 hour battery life, u won't be doing this charge and listen often.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #49 of 55
Lol just realized my droid actually can play apple lossless. It was just google music that couldn't, which I don't use anyways. But because my phones sd card randomly died AAARGGGGGGGG, I had to start using the cloud, so I picked google music, its the best. BUT it converts flac to 320 kbps mp3. I am using my old 8gb ipod nano. My whole library won't fit on it by about half a gb -.- . Right now I am converting all my flacs to alac. Currently 10% done, 2 hours left. Does ALAC have a smaller file size than flac by any chance? So my library might fit on the pod? Otherwise, I might need a new iPod. Now that my library will soon be all alac, I have nothing against iPods. But I am leaning towards getting a sansa clip zip or fuze+ because they are a lot cheaper and I can use memory cards... I dont know, I also would like a Cowon C2... can either of those play alac? Or will I have to convert back to flac... -.-. And would reconverting lose quality?

Edit:
Hmm I was just looking at LOD's, since I guess I will be using my iPod for a while.. I can get the FiiO L1 for just $3.50.. is the L9 any better, other than the L shaped plugs?

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #50 of 55

Quote:
Lol just realized my droid actually can play apple lossless. It was just google music that couldn't, which I don't use anyways. But because my phones sd card randomly died AAARGGGGGGGG, I had to start using the cloud, so I picked google music, its the best. BUT it converts flac to 320 kbps mp3. I am using my old 8gb ipod nano. My whole library won't fit on it by about half a gb -.- . Right now I am converting all my flacs to alac. Currently 10% done, 2 hours left. Does ALAC have a smaller file size than flac by any chance? So my library might fit on the pod? Otherwise, I might need a new iPod. Now that my library will soon be all alac, I have nothing against iPods. But I am leaning towards getting a sansa clip zip or fuze+ because they are a lot cheaper and I can use memory cards... I dont know, I also would like a Cowon C2... can either of those play alac? Or will I have to convert back to flac... -.-. And would reconverting lose quality?
Edit:
Hmm I was just looking at LOD's, since I guess I will be using my iPod for a while.. I can get the FiiO L1 for just $3.50.. is the L9 any better, other than the L shaped plugs?

ALAC is a bigger file than FLAC. It doesn't compress as good. Converting/encoding between the two as long as it is done properly with a good encoder that verifys(checks for errors) there should be no quality loss whatso evr. this is only for lossless files.

iPod's are prefferable for noobies bc everyone has them and an LOD is cheap. by the time u get into the middle. A lot are looking at alternative players bc they are cheaper and hold more space. but then u become a pro and buy an ipod classical anyway. Bc the DAC and amp can both be bypassed and teh UI of the ipod is great and $200 for 160GB's is not bad. Most go back to them in the end, which is what i'm trying to get at. i'm not saying get one, but just telling u what most audiophiles go through. They first go apple as that's what they have, then they go all non conforming and want something different, but then they need to bypass the amp and DAC...and Apple just comes right back up again

I don't know if the Cowon or the others supports FLAC or ALAC, nor cani really tell u to get it or not. I personally stick with ipod's due to the Cirrus Logic DAC inside and the use of an LOD to bypass the internal amp

No L1. Don't get it. Only get the L3 or L9. They use HPC 22W wire and is known on head-fi to sound a lot better than the L1's and what not. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #51 of 55
Oh that's a good thing to know about the distortion thing. But I guess with the 80 hour battery life it shouldn't be a problem.

BTW that google music thing seems pretty cool, I might start using it on my galaxy s2.
I hate dragging music from comp to phone everytime i want some new songs. I have wifi pretty much everywhere on campus
and a fatty data plan in between that i've always been wanting to use up each month. Is there anything bad about it that you don't use it
unless you had to other than maybe data restrictions?

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #52 of 55
Oh that's a good thing to know about the distortion thing. But I guess with the 80 hour battery life it shouldn't be a problem.

BTW that google music thing seems pretty cool, I might start using it on my galaxy s2.
I hate dragging music from comp to phone everytime i want some new songs. I have wifi pretty much everywhere on campus
and a fatty data plan in between that i've always been wanting to use up each month. Is there anything bad about it that you don't use it
unless you had to other than maybe data restrictions?

Google music is wonderful. I have it set to automatically upload any future songs I add to my music folder. Its not the data that I don't like (I have unlimited). Its that it converts flac to 320kbps mp3 and it cant take alac.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #53 of 55

Quote:

yes it is :) that's why they give u the option to not charge while using it! Some amps and dac's or both are good enough to not have this problem while chargin. But most have distortion, hiss whatever added when chargin

Quote:
Google music is wonderful. I have it set to automatically upload any future songs I add to my music folder. Its not the data that I don't like (I have unlimited). Its that it converts flac to 320kbps mp3 and it cant take alac.

ehh. im out a lot and i just use my ipod for music and my iphone for everything else. since my ipod touch is just for music. it's fast syncing and unplugging ...really. i just plug it in..plug it out. no backup time or anything since i don't have ny personal data in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back