Popular streamers around $500 or so?
Nov 18, 2020 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
I've always preferred a hard wired setup with my computer and have never used a hardware streamer, but I don't think I have much of a choice now. In my living room setup, I've always used a long optical cable with my Chord Hugo 2 with my older macbook pro. Unfortunately I had to upgrade to a new macbook and it doesn't have optical out and I also don't want to be bothered with the adapter for usb C.

So I'm looking for a streamer that either has a dac and can replace the Hugo 2 entirely, or a streamer that I can use with it. I use Tidal and Apple music, but it's very important that I can access my historical local files as well. Ease of use (UI wise) would be the only other consideration.

My bedroom headphone system is really hi-fi and that's where I do my critical listening. My living room setup is just a pair of vintage Klipsch Heresys that I simply blast loud. I'm not looking for any improvement in sound quality and would like to keep it on the cheaper end given that. I've been doing some research but there's just so many options, so I thought I'd ask. Any insight is appreciated!

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 14
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 14
Chord's Hugo streamer/player add-on: 2go will not do? 2go + 2yu route?

Have a look at Project Audio's Stream Box S2 Ultra

I've just seen too many mixed reviews on the Chord 2go. Thanks for the recommendation, that was one of the streamers I came across and seems like a decent option.

I also didn't want to spend over $1k, but the Nad C-658 seems to be just what I'm looking for. Dac, ton of streaming options and even has an analogue bypass and phono stage for my turntable system, which would allow me to get rid of a pre-amp I've been using + replace the Hugo 2 along the way. Leaning towards it.. info below for anyone else that may have a similar need.
https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/nad-c-658

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 14
Yeah that one is solid. It has everything.

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 14
Bluesound node 2i is a solid buy at the price...but lately there is some kind of error that it logs you out from Tidal. I've had mine for a few years and their software quality has been amazing. This Tidal thing is the only negative I can think of. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Nov 23, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 14
I've just seen too many mixed reviews on the Chord 2go. Thanks for the recommendation, that was one of the streamers I came across and seems like a decent option.

I also didn't want to spend over $1k, but the Nad C-658 seems to be just what I'm looking for. Dac, ton of streaming options and even has an analogue bypass and phono stage for my turntable system, which would allow me to get rid of a pre-amp I've been using + replace the Hugo 2 along the way. Leaning towards it.. info below for anyone else that may have a similar need.
https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/nad-c-658
As you can see in my pic i had the Nad for some time and it was indeed the most user friendly and best all in one system i had with no faults. Streaming is easy af, bluOS has the best UI of all streaming solutions i had so far and it has the most integrated streaming services.

It has dirac room correction and enough power to drive my 300 ohm HD600 and 600 ohm HD540. Sounds very clean with no flaws but the soundstage is not the greatest. Doesn't sound too digital or sharp like you could expect from a Sabre chip though.

I had already single parts that i spent much more on and the Nad didn't really fit good into the chain so in the end i didn't keep it but as an all-in-one system it's close to perfect.

Didn't try local stored files or analogue in though, only streaming.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 14
at that $ point, i think you're better off spending funds on a dedicated streamer and keep your hugo, if you like it. you're DAC/ Streamer combinations under a grand may not have as good a DAC.

http://www.sonore.us/ultraDigital.html

heard this unit at a friends, was blown away, compared to the bluesound unit it replaced.

i'd been using a Pi into an EITR before that. the Bluesound was a step up from that and I was closing in on one, when my friend got the Sonore.. which was some noticeable level better than the Bluesound with/ without DAC in line.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 14
As you can see in my pic i had the Nad for some time and it was indeed the most user friendly and best all in one system i had with no faults. Streaming is easy af, bluOS has the best UI of all streaming solutions i had so far and it has the most integrated streaming services.

It has dirac room correction and enough power to drive my 300 ohm HD600 and 600 ohm HD540. Sounds very clean with no flaws but the soundstage is not the greatest. Doesn't sound too digital or sharp like you could expect from a Sabre chip though.

I had already single parts that i spent much more on and the Nad didn't really fit good into the chain so in the end i didn't keep it but as an all-in-one system it's close to perfect.

Didn't try local stored files or analogue in though, only streaming.

I really appreciate the feedback there. Any bugginess with the bluOS app at times? Most of the feedback I'm seeing is pretty positive, but I've seen a few comments on that. But all in all that's really good to hear.

at that $ point, i think you're better off spending funds on a dedicated streamer and keep your hugo, if you like it. you're DAC/ Streamer combinations under a grand may not have as good a DAC.

http://www.sonore.us/ultraDigital.html

heard this unit at a friends, was blown away, compared to the bluesound unit it replaced.

i'd been using a Pi into an EITR before that. the Bluesound was a step up from that and I was closing in on one, when my friend got the Sonore.. which was some noticeable level better than the Bluesound with/ without DAC in line.

The thing with the Hugo 2 is that it's far better suited for portable use. It was fine in my headphone system, but it's causing more headaches in the speaker system as it just wasn't built for that. Also the Nad would allow me to sale the GSX Mini (used as a preamp in the vinyl setup) and* the Hugo 2 to make up for it. But the products from the site listed above do look pretty interesting.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 14
The last node 2i update has fixed the bug in Tidal. In 3 years with a node 2i and BluOS I have never seen better software quality of any major system.

The updates are seamless, everything just works. Totally recommended.

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 14
I really appreciate the feedback there. Any bugginess with the bluOS app at times? Most of the feedback I'm seeing is pretty positive, but I've seen a few comments on that. But all in all that's really good to hear.

The thing with the Hugo 2 is that it's far better suited for portable use. It was fine in my headphone system, but it's causing more headaches in the speaker system as it just wasn't built for that. Also the Nad would allow me to sale the GSX Mini (used as a preamp in the vinyl setup) and* the Hugo 2 to make up for it. But the products from the site listed above do look pretty interesting.
makes sense, im not as familiar w Chord DACs.. thought Hugo was more multipurpose.

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 14
A good cheap DAC that's fun to tube roll 12ax7 is the Jolida Glass DSD DAC... can find them used for a decent price, under $400 sometimes. don't get the Glass III model tho, just the DSD, even if you don't use DSD. Lots of upgrades in the stock model, from the last version to this one.

I'm running one with some decent gear.. has a volume dial that's like an output gain dial..and and a 3.5MM connect for headfonz.

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 14
The last node 2i update has fixed the bug in Tidal. In 3 years with a node 2i and BluOS I have never seen better software quality of any major system.

The updates are seamless, everything just works. Totally recommended.
I agree. Bluesound software is fantastic. It works great. I wish Chord had software as good.

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #13 of 14
Allo Usb bridge signature is hard to beat under £500 or £1,000 mark if you add in a decent psu. The 2go is fine, but sq-wise isn’t a match for the usb bridge, it’s also very buggy when it comes to portable use, where in theory it should earn its premium. The Allo is one of the more natural and lush sounding streamers I’ve heard under £1k, at £299 it’s a serious bargain.

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #14 of 14
I agree with others, the Bluesound Node 2i is an amazing product. I was a little cautious before buying, as there are some negative reviews on Amazon regarding buggy software. I'm glad I did buy it, because it works perfectly for me feeding music into my dac/amp. I looked at the Chord but it doesn't even have 5 ghz wifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back