PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 23, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #2,881 of 4,866
I'd like for the screen to timeout when charging in a future firmware rather than stay lite the entire time. I do worry about screen burn a little. Is there anyway around this?

I believe you can plug in the charging cable while the player is ON and then shutdown.  As I recall, the screen then goes black while continuing to charge.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #2,884 of 4,866
smile.gif
smile.gif
Quote:
  My silver dragon balanced cables should arrive tomorrow. I will post my thoughts.

Turn down the volume a bit first.  
smile.gif

Plug in the two connectors before putting anything in/on your ears.  Select Settings>Playback>Balanced and then select it.  Turn on the music and then put them on your head.  Trust me on this.  After you get used to them, you'll know what volume to select.  

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #2,885 of 4,866

Turn down the volume a bit first.  
smile.gif

Plug in the two connectors before putting anything in/on your ears.  Select Settings>Playback>Balanced and then select it.  Turn on the music and then put them on your head.  Trust me on this.  After you get used to them, you'll know what volume to select.  

Is it louder? I think my Velvets are a bit harder to drive than the SE846...but I will clearly heed your advice

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #2,888 of 4,866
  I struggle to know whether to get Silver or Black dragons for use with Pono and Oppo PM3. Had no opportunity to audition them.  

Having had the PM-3 I would certainly not do anything to brighten the sound. I would probably sway toward the Black dragons.

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #2,889 of 4,866
contrary to popular belief, a foot or 2 of silver cabling with all of the other materials the signal goes through does not "brighten" the sound.  We are talking about a minute difference in conductivity in a small portion of the entire audio signal.  Go with whatever is cheaper and more flexible or manageable. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #2,890 of 4,866
  contrary to popular belief, a foot or 2 of silver cabling with all of the other materials the signal goes through does not "brighten" the sound.  We are talking about a minute difference in conductivity in a small portion of the entire audio signal.  Go with whatever is cheaper and more flexible or manageable. 

You know...I kinda mistyped that I am sorry. I didn't mean to convey that message. I really meant to say that the Black Dragons are "supposed" to have more "bottom end" and the PM-3 could benefit from more bottom end. It was actually meant to be more directed towards the PM-3 as opposed to the cable. I reread what I wrote and scratched my head, because I am not a real believer in cable magic. That said, I do notice the benefit of going balanced with the PONO I am really enjoying the sound quality in balanced mode.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #2,891 of 4,866

Thanks both. Balanced is what I am primarily after - I myself am 'open-minded' about the properties of cables, and appreciate your thoughts. At the moment I think I agree that Black Dragon is the way to go with Oppo/PM3. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #2,892 of 4,866
I continue being highly impressed with my Pono player, It has this wonderful aspect of remaining non fatiguing over long listening sessions yet remains very detailed. It's really a mixed bag of goodies. It's smooth, energetic, organic, detailed, refined all at the same time.

I'm still using them with ER4S and the only thing I can think of differing opinions may be the tips used. I tried silicon triple flange on my ER4S with Pono and heard similar to others, that warmth or veil. Thing is I use Etymotic foam tips on my ER4S, using those it's very, very clear for me and especially great for vocal reproduction.

I'm also getting the UI down pat, I quite like it. Battery life is decent enough when I'm juggling between a few different setups, maybe as a full time stand alone rig I'd think differently. The only downfall to Pono is I'm using my ER4S so much more that I'm chewing through foam tips like no tomorrow. (this could get expensive)

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #2,894 of 4,866
I continue being highly impressed with my Pono player, It has this wonderful aspect of remaining non fatiguing over long listening sessions yet remains very detailed. It's really a mixed bag of goodies. It's smooth, energetic, organic, detailed, refined all at the same time.

Glad you like it already and the sq out of it will even improve after you've used it for some weeks, at least that's what happened with mine....and then there's also balanced mode to discover
rolleyes.gif

The highest compliment I could possibly pay my Pono is that there's no such thing as "critical listening" while I have it on; I'm too drawn into the music to care about anything else.

Exactly, ''drawn into the music'' is what happens to me every time and I guess to most of us who have it...

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #2,895 of 4,866
Does anyone who has a PONO use them with JH Audio Roxanne Universal IEM's? Just wondering what the synergy is with them. I have actually heard the Pono has trouble driving some IEM's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back