PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 21, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #2,866 of 4,866

Thanks, Pal.
Can you elaborate a little?
I couldn't find the FLAC option in the Compression Options.

I confess  know little about this program as I just put in the disc and click copy uncompressed in the Action folder.
What options should I choose to make the best copies of my CDs for the Pono?

Okay, it doesn't make it obvious. Having had it installed for a while, I forgot about getting the options right.

Under Compression Options, select 'User defined Encoder' from the dropdown box. In the little box below that, you should have ".flac" (don't include the quote marks).

Below that, there's a 'Program Path' box and a 'Browse' button. On my laptop, the path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\FLAC\FLAC.EXE This may autofill, or it may not.

Find that, and you should be okay. Options below that include 'Quality' (pick 'High'), 'Delete WAV after Compression' (select if not already selected) and some other stuff, which I left as default when I installed (as far as I can remember).

Under compression options I only get the choices..."waveform" "external compression" "comment" & "IDtag"
could we have different versions?

btw~Is your name a tribute to Joey Ramone?

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #2,867 of 4,866

The issue you described should have no bearing on the Pono player itself.  The issue only resides in the PMW software and its configuration. If you choose not to play files through the PMW through your sound card, then its a non issue, and you can just use it to synch up your library to the Pono player.

Hello RickHawk22,

Some after some more futzing around, I am now able to play my 192Hz/24bit albums on my iMac through PMW. As you alluded to and I was too dense to pick up on that the source material (192Hz/24bit albums) will play, after you select to play at 44 Hz 2 ch in the DSD settings (I think)on via the iMac sound card. So thank you for the info that I earlier missed on my comprehension skills.

The very strange part is I didn't have to monkey around with any of settings when i first downloaded the PMW and albums directly purchased from PMW.

At any rate the iMac is playing music (just wish it was at the native source rate) again, and the Pono has never missed a beat (no pun intended).

Regards,
Eric

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #2,868 of 4,866
Yup, I always am amazed at how different things sound to different people. I think this is more so with headphones than full size components, where the sound propagates the same through the same room. I think people's ears are shaped differently, little fit/seal issues, shape of canal, all affect the sound, and the same headphones get completely different impressions from different folks (even leaving out the preference issue...some may like one set of speakers, others feel it is too, say, bass shy, but they will generally be able to describe it similarly). Very interesting...
It was a quick listen, walked around for a bit with it, and had a ciem for comparison, so may have sounded that way by comparison, but that was my impression on 1 listen. (I generally do LIKE the Etys...)

Really strange.

I think the most I hear is a lack of power been described by most of us. Where ER4S do benefit from extra power I've heard them perform at excellent levels using DX50 line out to JDS C421 amp, that would be thier optimum performance for me personally. Pono cannot provide such output power levels which actually surprised me considering comments I'd been reading and what people pair with Pono.

But with Pono I find ER4S to sound ever so slightly bright, just fractionally which gives quite a clean, detailed presentation. I cannot hear any veil or warmth, instead slightly opposite.

Oh well, goes to show exactly what you said, hearing differently. =)

OK, was curious when I got home from work, (and, I have no life), so I pulled out the Pono, the Etys, and 2 other iems I like, the Zero Audio Duoza and the Final Audio Design Heaven V. First, let me acknowledge that I expressed myself poorly when I used the word "dark". They aren't dark, which implies bass heavy and/or rolled off at the top. They are slightly veiled, though, to my ears, when listened to through the Pono. Spaces aren't as full of "air", soundstage is more closed in. The volume needs to be higher than the other 2 iems I used for comparison, which, on the Pono, were less "veiled", more open, wider stage. Listened to The Eagles 1st album, "Take it Easy" in high resolution. Just for comparison, plugged into my Geek Out Special Edition, listened to a DVD rip of Steely Dan's Countdown to Ectacy, "My Old School", used the 47 ohm output, and the haziness was gone, more open, good detail. Makes me think the Etys just are more power hungry, let you know if they aren't fed properly. This is all single ended, still obsessing over what balanced cables to go for...
my 2 cents, of course, ymmv.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #2,869 of 4,866
I have been considering purchasing the HiFiman RE-600 IEMs to use with the Pono player's balanced mode. This following link explains my situation and exact questions concerning these IEMs.

http://bbs.hifiman.com/archiver/?tid-79503.html

I had previously purchased a cable like this from Venus audio:

http://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-4-Position-3-Position-Splitter-IP-AY12C/dp/B00N03ZYUU

I'm wondering if I'd be able to pair that cable or the one I currently have with those iems for a balanced connection. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #2,870 of 4,866
I am curious, how much volume do you usually give to enjoy the music you listen too? Obviously I don't want to use anything to color the sound of the pono(amp), but i find myself nudging the volume more and more

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #2,871 of 4,866

Under compression options I only get the choices..."waveform" "external compression" "comment" & "IDtag"

External compression is the tab you need to select.

And 'Pal Joey' is a film starring Frank Sinatra, Rita Hayworth and Kim Novak.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #2,872 of 4,866
OK, was curious when I got home from work, (and, I have no life), so I pulled out the Pono, the Etys, and 2 other iems I like, the Zero Audio Duoza and the Final Audio Design Heaven V. First, let me acknowledge that I expressed myself poorly when I used the word "dark". They aren't dark, which implies bass heavy and/or rolled off at the top. They are slightly veiled, though, to my ears, when listened to through the Pono. Spaces aren't as full of "air", soundstage is more closed in. The volume needs to be higher than the other 2 iems I used for comparison, which, on the Pono, were less "veiled", more open, wider stage. Listened to The Eagles 1st album, "Take it Easy" in high resolution. Just for comparison, plugged into my Geek Out Special Edition, listened to a DVD rip of Steely Dan's Countdown to Ectacy, "My Old School", used the 47 ohm output, and the haziness was gone, more open, good detail. Makes me think the Etys just are more power hungry, let you know if they aren't fed properly. This is all single ended, still obsessing over what balanced cables to go for...
my 2 cents, of course, ymmv.

Thanks for testing!

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #2,873 of 4,866
Thanks for the link, Rickhawk. I wish I'd read that years ago.
smily_headphones1.gif
  I just finished replacing all the WAV versions with Apple Lossless in my library, and on the Pono. At least of the albums I wanted on the Pono. It's something of a pain, as over the years I've added tracks from these albums to various playlists, so I have to make sure they're all replaced before deleting the WAVs.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #2,874 of 4,866
I have been considering purchasing the HiFiman RE-600 IEMs to use with the Pono player's balanced mode. This following link explains my situation and exact questions concerning these IEMs.

http://bbs.hifiman.com/archiver/?tid-79503.html

I had previously purchased a cable like this from Venus audio:

http://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-4-Position-3-Position-Splitter-IP-AY12C/dp/B00N03ZYUU

I'm wondering if I'd be able to pair that cable or the one I currently have with those iems for a balanced connection. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows.

Pretty sure you need 4 pole 3.5mm TRRS on the pono side.   I don't think this "splitter" cable will do what you want.  The exact spec for the wiring is given on the pono community site  -- take a good look at that before you order.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #2,875 of 4,866

Pretty sure you need 4 pole 3.5mm TRRS on the pono side.   I don't think this "splitter" cable will do what you want.  The exact spec for the wiring is given on the pono community site  -- take a good look at that before you order.

No, you need two TRS connectors for the Pono to play balanced.  You would just use the tip and ring of each.

Looks like this cable adapter will work for you as a cheap test if your current cable is a TRRS balanced cable.

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #2,876 of 4,866
No, you need two TRS connectors for the Pono to play balanced.  You would just use the tip and ring of each.

Looks like this cable adapter will work for you as a cheap test if your current cable is a TRRS balanced cable.
Would this cable suffice?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/KEAAAOSwrklVDYJb/$_1.JPG

And if not would you be able to link an example of what would?

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #2,878 of 4,866

External compression is the tab you need to select.

And 'Pal Joey' is a film starring Frank Sinatra, Rita Hayworth and Kim Novak.

Thanks, Pal!
My laptop crashed so I had to download EAC again and discovered the FLAC option was added after my first download so now I can follow your instructions.
Cheers!

Yes, now I recall the name Pal Joey...duh!

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #2,880 of 4,866
I'd like for the screen to timeout when charging in a future firmware rather than stay lite the entire time. I do worry about screen burn a little. Is there anyway around this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back