PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 20, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #2,836 of 4,864
  I never use that software, I found it hinkey.  Simple drag and drop on my Mac.  I only use it for updates, but it's set to not import anything.

You could maybe try deleting the PonoMusic preference in your Preference folder and see if that clears things.  Not sure that it will help, though.

I find tagging easier with MP3tag so I basically just use PW to upload my CDS to FLAC.
I haven't experimented with EAC to see if it uploads to FLAC instead of WAV. (MP3tag doesn't tag WAV)

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #2,837 of 4,864
You can use XLD (freeware on a Mac) to both rip and tag.  Works very well indeed.  Every once in a while I find music that has real tagging issues and I then use Yate, a high-powered (paid) tagger.  But that's very rarely needed.

When I turn my Pono on it scans for about 10-15 seconds and then it's good to go.  About 50gb on the internal and about 110gb on the 128 card.  

Again, I found the JRiver software a pain, so I just make sure my tags are good and then drag and drop onto the internal or the card.  The Pono adjusts things nicely.  I found I was spending too much time dealing with the software and not enough time listening to the Pono.  

You need to keep any music that PonoMusic accesses available on the HD (or an external) so it can find it.  I didn't like keeping 200+gb on my computer, so keep backups on one of my externals.  I rarely need it, so out of sight out of mind.  

H20, I thought I mentioned in a pm that the current Pono firmware is .5, the one that has the DSD function.  The previous one had gapless.  There's a new one coming as well, that fixes an issue with long DSD files and does some other things as well.

After all of this I hope you are enjoying listening to it.  
smile.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #2,838 of 4,864
I use Ponoplayer on my PC, it doesn't sync like iTunes, once files are on the Pono, don't have to keep them on the PC afaik. I've done it both ways, drag/drop and through the Ponoplayer...like the tagging on the Ponoplayer, and used JRiver before I got the Pono.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #2,839 of 4,864
I just use Itunes for ripping and tagging and playing. It deals with most CDs just fine. Tags often have errors and I fix those before ripping. Classical CDs almost always have errors, and it can take me half an hour to get the tags sorted out. For anything that's destined to go on the Pono, I snag the cover art and paste it into the Itunes field. I use Itunes for playlist assembly and playback; I've been file-based since 2005. For LPs, I use an analog-to-digital converter to record them, Audacity to edit, then import the files to Itunes and apply tags.

A note about Exact Audio Copy: This is extremely handy, if you have a PC around. It will deal with most of the disc errors that Itunes can't handle. Some discs have manufacturing defects, which requires buying another copy, preferably from a different pressing. Of 100 discs bought, 98 will have no problems and the other two will clean up with EAC. About 1 in 250 has some sort of non-recoverable error.

CD drives vary. A disc that won't read correctly on the Mac's aging drive will often work in Itunes on the PC. Then I just use Sneakernet to move the files to the main library. If that doesn't work, I resort to EAC. In any case, I do a rip-check of each disc after they're in the library, to make sure they're good. I've had some surprises.

Once the tagging and ripping are done, I just let the Pono mount onto the Mac Mini's desktop, and drag the files I want onto it from the main music library. That's on an offboard RAID-1 system, connected with Firewire. It's faster to use a card reader to load files onto the MicroSD card. It's backed up to another RAID-1. Both use spinning hard disks. I see no real need for SSD in that application..

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #2,840 of 4,864
I used the PONO world app only to update the firmware. Having used an X5 I realized the importance of having good tags(MP3Tag). It is equally important on the PONO. My first sync took a really long time and then the following boot up did not take as long. Drag and dropping seems to be the way to go. It is an Android based system so drag and drop works great. I have 35gb on internal and 105gb on sd.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #2,842 of 4,864

I find tagging easier with MP3tag so I basically just use PW to upload my CDS to FLAC.
I haven't experimented with EAC to see if it uploads to FLAC instead of WAV. (MP3tag doesn't tag WAV)

EAC will rip to FLAC, but you have to select that format in 'Compression Options', as it is set to MP3 as default.

Then, clicking the 'CMP' button instead of 'WAV' will rip to WAV, then convert to FLAC and automatically delete the temporary WAV files.

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #2,843 of 4,864

If you plug the Pono into your PC it should automatically sync...yes?
When you open the PC you should get 'local disc (C:) Recovery (D:) a ROM Drive (E:) (if you have one and Pono (F & G (if you have a card inserted in the Pono))
Click on one of the Ponos (F or G) and see if you put the file in the music folder.
IF you can find the file in question MOVE it to your PC and close the window and unplug the Pono.
Wait for the Pono to settle then turn it off.
Will it now turn back on?

Hello Koukol,

I have a Mac not a PC, so the instructions you kindly provided won't work. I have not tried to sync the Pono back yet.
  I never use that software, I found it hinkey.  Simple drag and drop on my Mac.  I only use it for updates, but it's set to not import anything.

You could maybe try deleting the PonoMusic preference in your Preference folder and see if that clears things.  Not sure that it will help, though.

Hello OldDude,

I may try to delete PMW and reinstall as clean as I can. I say this as I could not find a Preference File for PMW.

Eric

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #2,845 of 4,864
  Oh lord, I angered the Pono Gods, buy purchasing something on HDTracks.
So I went and bought the Eagle Hotel California, 192 Hz / 24 bit (FLAC), just like all the albums I bought on Pono World. Bought the album, was presented with the installation of the Download Manager, installed it and then logged into it to get my Hotel California album. So far so good....or so I thought.

I then found Pono Music Folder in FInder in my Mac. This is the same process I used to remove music from the Pono library. I added the Hotel California album, thinking that was it.

Oh but no....

So now I get this error message when I try to play any song on my Pono Music World client:

"playback could not be started on the output core audio using the format 192Khz, 24bits and 2 channels which pertain to any given song.
The message goes on to say... "the output format may not be supported by your hardware, you can use dsp studio to change the output to a compatible format.
Also make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device, that is properly configured in playback options."

I had ZERO issues using or listening to Pono Music World before I imported that Hotel California album. Now I can't play anything.

I am using the most recent PMW 20.0.83
I am using Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 

I searched online and the help files but none really solve this...HELP!

Regards,
Eric

No need to uninstall PMW.
Its because the soundcard on your mac does not support native 192/24bit playback.  You can adjust that in the settings on PMW.  PMW is very consomizable, and I think that's why so many don't like it.  Its the opposite of iTunes, that is very limited in its customization. To change the output to your sound card, in the menu at the top, choose player, playback options.  Go to settings, DSP & Output Format.  Under sample rate, change the output to 44,100 for all the outputs.

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #2,846 of 4,864

EAC will rip to FLAC, but you have to select that format in 'Compression Options', as it is set to MP3 as default.

Then, clicking the 'CMP' button instead of 'WAV' will rip to WAV, then convert to FLAC and automatically delete the temporary WAV files.

Thanks, Pal.
Can you elaborate a little?
I couldn't find the FLAC option in the Compression Options.

I confess  know little about this program as I just put in the disc and click copy uncompressed in the Action folder.
What options should I choose to make the best copies of my CDs for the Pono?

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #2,847 of 4,864
I have an update on my media scanning problem.

I would have booted my Pono probably 15 times since it arrived 1 day ago, as we spoke about, the scanning music library icon would hang for about 60 seconds, it seemed to do this every boot rather than the much shorter time others were experiencing. Here's the weird part, tonight I installed the Pono Music App (for the update) turned my Pono on to connect to my laptop, (it had never been connected to the app before) but when I booted it expecting the 60 scan time to my amazement it booted and showed the 'music library scan' for about 2 seconds before going to the menu. Strange indeed. I turned it off tested again, another 2 seconds.

I have no idea why as nothing had been changed, no files removed or added, just like it decided it wanted to work now. Even though it did this I l went ahead with the update and its scanning properly still with the much, much shorter scan times. I would be lucky to even read the 'scanning music library' icon on the screen before reaching the menu now. No more than 1-2 seconds.

A little strange but it appears everything is working fine. (thanks to everyone for helping out and resolving the problem)

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #2,848 of 4,864
  I have an update on my media scanning problem.

I would have booted my Pono probably 15 times since it arrived 1 day ago, as we spoke about, the scanning music library icon would hang for about 60 seconds, it seemed to do this every boot rather than the much shorter time others were experiencing. Here's the weird part, tonight I installed the Pono Music App (for the update) turned my Pono on to connect to my laptop, (it had never been connected to the app before) but when I booted it expecting the 60 scan time to my amazement it booted and showed the 'music library scan' for about 2 seconds before going to the menu. Strange indeed. I turned it off tested again, another 2 seconds.

I have no idea why as nothing had been changed, no files removed or added, just like it decided it wanted to work now. Even though it did this I l went ahead with the update and its scanning properly still with the much, much shorter scan times. I would be lucky to even read the 'scanning music library' icon on the screen before reaching the menu now. No more than 1-2 seconds.

A little strange but it appears everything is working fine. (thanks to everyone for helping out and resolving the problem)

Awesome, now time to enjoy the Pono, and give us impressions! 

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #2,849 of 4,864
Awesome, now time to enjoy the Pono, and give us impressions! 

Definitely, I've been listening to Pono exclusively with my Etymotic ER4S (100ohm). First impressions are strongly positive. At first, I was quite certain my Hum Pervasion / Aurisonics ASG-2 would pull away from the Pono player with ER4S but it's not the case. Between DX90 / Pono I'm still undecided 100% on an answer.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #2,850 of 4,864

Thanks, Pal.
Can you elaborate a little?
I couldn't find the FLAC option in the Compression Options.

I confess  know little about this program as I just put in the disc and click copy uncompressed in the Action folder.
What options should I choose to make the best copies of my CDs for the Pono?

Okay, it doesn't make it obvious. Having had it installed for a while, I forgot about getting the options right.

Under Compression Options, select 'User defined Encoder' from the dropdown box. In the little box below that, you should have ".flac" (don't include the quote marks).

Below that, there's a 'Program Path' box and a 'Browse' button. On my laptop, the path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\FLAC\FLAC.EXE This may autofill, or it may not.

Find that, and you should be okay. Options below that include 'Quality' (pick 'High'), 'Delete WAV after Compression' (select if not already selected) and some other stuff, which I left as default when I installed (as far as I can remember).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back