Poll- Which frequency band do you value most?
Jan 15, 2010 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

cn11

Headphoneus Supremus
As the title states, which do you find most valuable or important in a portable phone/IEM?

-Bass
-Midrange
-Treble

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 41
My favourite frequency band is basmible! I listen to a pair of headphones and think, "Wow, the basmible is amazing on these."

biggrin.gif
Kidding aside, I think mids are probably just that little bit more important to me, since they are vocal range. Sure, I'm thrilled when I hear the thump of some electronic drum kit, or I get chills when I hear sparkly sounds of the orchestra - but its the detail in the voices that will carry me away emotionally with a singer. I can never forget when I heard a pair of Shure SE530's for the first time (my first real quality IEM experience), and sat there engulfed in the sound of some beautiful female vocalist caressing my ears.

Strange question though - I'm curious what replies you'll get!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 41
Midrange, because all I ever listen to is AM radio with my extra special Bose system.
confused.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 41
The mids, unquestionably.

Our hearing is the most acute in the range where the human voice is located. Sure, it's a thrill to hear a bass drum hit or cymbals sizzle, but the voice is where it's at.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 41
Smooth silky mids. Lows and highs are important as well, but it's like what Uncle Erik stated.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 41
Midrange, without a doubt.
Since that is where most of the human voice is located.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #9 of 41
I find it interesting that no one has yet voted for treble. hmmm

Jan 15, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #13 of 41
treble for me.

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 41
i like all frequencies and hence i am an audiophile.

average man gets impressed by heavy bloaty bass.

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #15 of 41
I sold my Shure 530 because of the steeply rolled off highs. I've listened to plenty of portable headphones/IEM that have deep bass. Even though lower mids are where you can hear a good deal of muddiness and the mids are where thinness or congestion can happen with something inferior, I have heard several (such as the 530 and a list of others) that have terrific and silky mids. Getting extended and refined treble from a portable/IEM, however, is something I covet and have found more difficult to find. But unlitmately who the heck doesn't want an overall well balanced headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back