Poll: How many hours a week do you JUST listen?
Aug 25, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #31 of 45

Quote:
Mine is quite the opposite actually. I get about 10-20 new albums a week and I never listen critically the first time through.

Ohh I love taking in a new album focusing totally on it and nothing else.

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #32 of 45
Commute about 7.5 hrs/week
I have my ipod dock at work from when I walk in to when I leave, most days
Weekday's evenings at home 1-2 hr(s) or longer , like tonight
Weeekend's  5-10 hours longer when I have weekends free

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #33 of 45
Is hard to listen and do nothing else, but I usually do it every night on my bed, for about 1 hour until I get too sleepy to keep listening, then just throw the grado's aside and sleep. my alessandro MS1 were my favorite can in bed, until it broke.

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #34 of 45

Quote:
Is hard to listen and do nothing else, but I usually do it every night on my bed, for about 1 hour until I get too sleepy to keep listening, then just throw the grado's aside and sleep. my alessandro MS1 were my favorite can in bed, until it broke.

How did they break?

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #36 of 45

Quote:
How did they break?

they were like almost 10 years old, the left driver started rattling. went from almost unnoticeable some months ago to unbearable like 3 weeks ago. Im gonna attempt to fix it and put them in a woodie.

what awonderful headphone the MS1 is, right?

now I use a cocobolo grado SR60 in bed. which is my only dedicated listening time.

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #37 of 45

Quote:

they were like almost 10 years old, the left driver started rattling. went from almost unnoticeable some months ago to unbearable like 3 weeks ago. Im gonna attempt to fix it and put them in a woodie.

what awonderful headphone the MS1 is, right?

now I use a cocobolo grado SR60 in bed. which is my only dedicated listening time.

Well it was 10 years old so you can't complain.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #38 of 45

Really interesting spread here.  I hope I phrased the poll question correctly when I said 'critical listening'.  I don't necessarily mean listening analytically.  Just how often do you devote your undivided attention to listening?  Listening on public transportation while commuting is pretty borderline since I can see really getting into your music during these time periods.  But the argument could be made that it's not an ideal listening environment in terms of realizing the full potential of your gear. 

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in the 2-5 hour range.  I myself probably listen to background music 3-5 hours a day.  And even though it's just background music I like it to be of relatively high quality.  I'm sure most of us here would probably like to 'just listen' more than we have time to.  A lot of this comes down to priorities and living situations.

Quote:
Is hard to listen and do nothing else, but I usually do it every night on my bed, for about 1 hour until I get too sleepy to keep listening...

Ditto!

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #39 of 45

Quote:
Is hard to listen and do nothing else, but I usually do it every night on my bed, for about 1 hour until I get too sleepy to keep listening.

Why are you this much like me??

WHY!?

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #41 of 45

Quote:
Really interesting spread here.  I hope I phrased the poll question correctly when I said 'critical listening'.  I don't necessarily mean listening analytically.  Just how often do you devote your undivided attention to listening?  Listening on public transportation while commuting is pretty borderline since I can see really getting into your music during these time periods.  But the argument could be made that it's not an ideal listening environment in terms of realizing the full potential of your gear. 

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in the 2-5 hour range.  I myself probably listen to background music 3-5 hours a day.  And even though it's just background music I like it to be of relatively high quality.  I'm sure most of us here would probably like to 'just listen' more than we have time to.  A lot of this comes down to priorities and living situations.

To be fair, not all music is meant to be listened to with undivided attention. Ambient is the most obvious example. If an album could requires my undivided attention, I try not to listen to it during the day.

Quote:
Why are you this much like me??

WHY!?

Bro, everyone does this. I did this for 6 years, every night. I no longer do it because of the wonders of the internet.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #42 of 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bro, everyone does this. I did this for 6 years, every night. I no longer do it because of the wonders of the internet.

Progger and I go much deeper than this, brobro.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #45 of 45

Quote:

To be fair, not all music is meant to be listened to with undivided attention. Ambient is the most obvious example. If an album could requires my undivided attention, I try not to listen to it during the day.

Totally with you there.  I tend to listen to "things without words" like classical when I am working.  I get distracted if there are words.  Even better is something I'm not familiar with.  Again, it's less of a distraction as I won't have the tendency to hum along or follow the tune.  On a similar note, when I go cycling I usually listen to podcasts because if I listen to something with a beat it will screw up my cadence. 

Quote:
yes. we also love Dr Pepper-

Me three!  Prune juice my a--. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back