Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?
Sep 27, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #302 of 551
I can hear over 50khz !!! I am a doberman what do you expect ? 
wink_face.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #303 of 551
Quote:
Well we all have the right to our own opinion. I can tell the difference between feeling and hearing. I'm not deaf :wink:. Plus there's nothing new with people having better hearing than others. Same applies to vision.

No you don't, this is the sound-SCIENCE forum !
'Opinion' doesn't count around here !!

None of you guys can hear 20Khz + , you are all just hearing 'something' , like the noise of your computers fans ..

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #304 of 551
Quote:
No you don't, this is the sound-SCIENCE forum !
'Opinion' doesn't count around here !!

None of you guys can hear 20Khz + , you are all just hearing 'something' , like the noise of your computers fans ..

No it sounds like you are just envious because you can't hear that high. Not my problem and NO I wasn't hearing my computer fan or whatever excuse you wanna come up with. I was using my DACport LX connected to my UHA6 MKII to do this test and I heard all the way up there. There is no background noise being induced through my UHA6 MKII, it's a black background.
wink_face.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #305 of 551
Even if you can't hear an ultra high frequency, you can feel the sound pressure. That doesn't count as "hearing".

One shouldn't be proud of hearing ultra high frequencies. All there is to hear up there is squeals from the ballasts of flourescent lights and computer monitors. You're better off not hearing it.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #307 of 551
Quote:
Even if you can't hear an ultra high frequency, you can feel the sound pressure. That doesn't count as "hearing".
One shouldn't be proud of hearing ultra high frequencies. All there is to hear up there is squeals from the ballasts of flourescent lights and computer monitors. You're better off not hearing it.

I know the difference between feeling an hearing. As I said earlier I am not deaf. Plus I don't think it's really bad to be able to hear high up top. One thing about it though is the sensitivity to high frequencies which can be annoying, I agree. I tend to listen at lower volumes than normal due to this. But in a sense it's also good as it will help to preserve my hearing at least until age sets in.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #308 of 551
Quote:

I can't get up there any more but I sure wouldn't mind. What does pride have to do with participating and answering? If someone wants to test themselves more accurately. Have another play various frequencies for you without you watching and indicate to them when you can hear something. They'll know if it corresponds to them initiating a tone.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #309 of 551
Quote:
I know the difference between feeling an hearing.

At the very edge of perception the line blurs. The difference between 18kHz and 20kHz is very small. The difference between 20kHz and 22kHz is even smaller. When you get up in this range, you're splitting hairs. The next octave up from 20kHz is 40kHz. I'm sure no one is getting anywhere close to that.

Being able to hear all the way up to 20kHz isn't going to make music sound any better than being able to hear up to 15kHz. The difference between the two is just two notes on a musical scale. It doesn't matter.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #310 of 551
Quote:

At the very edge of perception the line blurs. The difference between 18kHz and 20kHz is very small. The difference between 20kHz and 22kHz is even smaller. When you get up in this range, you're splitting hairs. The next octave up from 20kHz is 40kHz. I'm sure no one is getting anywhere close to that.

Being able to hear all the way up to 20kHz isn't going to make music sound any better than being able to hear up to 15kHz. The difference between the two is just two notes on a musical scale. It doesn't matter.

If it doesn't matter then why are you contesting that others can hear up in this region?
wink_face.gif

In the end this was just a test to test the limits our our hearing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #311 of 551
Some people seem to think that hearing above the range of human hearing is an advantage. As you say, it isn't.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #312 of 551
Quote:
Some people seem to think that hearing above the range of human hearing is an advantage. As you say, it isn't.

Well I don't find it not to be an advantage. How I take it is as you move up it does get harder to hear yes. But that sensitivity alone also applies to the lower frequencies. Meaning I'll listen at a lower volume naturally.

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #313 of 551
Quote:

The value of being able to hear high frequencies is analog to climbing a tree, you don't need it (most cases), but it is reassuring to know you have the capability to do so (Because it implies you've taken care of yourself).

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #315 of 551
Quote:
The value of being able to hear high frequencies is analog to climbing a tree, you don't need it (most cases), but it is reassuring to know you have the capability to do so (Because it implies you've taken care of yourself).

I feel the fact that I can hear up that high correlates to my hearing down lower. At least from what I've experienced it is much harder to hear up that high and hearing lower is actually much easier. So my sensitivity is even more so focused on the lower frequencies. Another reason why I tend to listen at lower volumes. I mean I love to pump it up at times but that gets tiring very fast and I'll turn it down for the sake of my hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back